News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

SMTP SSL/TLS

Started by masierka, May 29, 2023, 02:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masierka

Hello,

my internet provider requires SSL/TLS encryption for SMTP connections. Is it possible to set up SMTP with SSL/TLS encryption with the 2.0.19 version?

Best

Marek

Diego Andrés

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

kaostc

Same problem here.

Diego Andrés, I think the link you provided regards to configuration of a server with https/ssl (I think), but the topic is about sending mails via SMTP using SSL/TLS encryption.

Thanks a lot.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Try adding ssl:// or tls:// infront of the smtp-server address in your mail configuration.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

kaostc

I did, but it still not working. The problem is that I have no idea about how...

...to send a test email

...to check for errors in a log or something similar. Error log is completely empty.

Thanks for your help.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Try to make sure all settings are correct - Select SMTP, then use the port and server settings from your provider.
Perhaps these can be of use:
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Mail
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/E-Mails_-_Why_are_members_not_getting_emails_sent_from_the_forum
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

kaostc

Thanks a lot for your help Aleksi, Unfortunately, already checked these links, they say that smtp logs to error log but my error log is empty ?¿?¿¿?¿?

Double-triple-checked parameters, tried several servers, tried several users... would be great to find some kind of log to troubleshot.

Any help will be pleased

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Is your webmaster email address configured to be the same as the smtp-account?
If not, it is more than slightly likely that your emails are simply being intercepted and blocked as spam.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

kaostc

Yes, is the same.

It is not an spam problem, cause I have activated the mail queue, and the queue gets empty and then refill again. So I guess that emails are not even being delivered, but...

System log dees not log anything ¿?¿?¿¿¿

I think that the way should be to find a way of troubleshotting by tracking the emails sent, but no idea about how to do that. Any help in this way will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

If the addresses are the same, you have set it up for smtp, and the queue seems to work without errors in your log,
then that would imply to me that the mail is being sent. It's just maybe not being received?

Have you tried more than one receiving mail service?
If you send an email directly from that same smtp-account via other means,
does it work to reach the same addresses you are testing with?

I can't avoid the thought that the recipient server is simply rejecting the mail for some reason, like wrong header information.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Sudhakar Arjunan

Tried gmail smtp

And gives frequent error log while cron job trying to send birthday wishes

could we stop birthday wishes

Mail queue statistics
Queue length - 4
Oldest Mail - 19.7 Hours

Happy birthday from Discussion Community.   he****[email protected]   Very High   19.7 Hours
Working on New Mods & Themes for SMF... Will update soon... My Blog page
My Smf forum : Discuss ITAcumens :: My SMF Forum

kaostc

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on June 14, 2023, 06:34:58 AMIf the addresses are the same, you have set it up for smtp, and the queue seems to work without errors in your log,
then that would imply to me that the mail is being sent. It's just maybe not being received?

1. There is nothing on the error log, but ***nothing at all***, I mean, no logs in error log, nor SMTP neither other kind of errors. So I am not sure if my error log is working ok. If I use a fake account or a intentionally mistyped password, to force an error in error log ***no error shown in error log, no error at all***.

2. I think they are not being sent... cause the queue is processed, and then refilled with the same pending messages. I mean, say I have 43 messages to sent in queue. If I process the queue, two seconds after it says 0 pending messages. And if you refresh again other two seconds later, there are 43 messages again.

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on June 14, 2023, 06:34:58 AMHave you tried more than one receiving mail service?

I think you mean more than one sending mail services, and the answer is yes, I have test with several accounts from several providers.

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on June 14, 2023, 06:34:58 AMIf you send an email directly from that same smtp-account via other means,
does it work to reach the same addresses you are testing with?

Yes, you can access the tested credentials via webmail and also in thunderbird, and they work.

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on June 14, 2023, 06:34:58 AMI can't avoid the thought that the recipient server is simply rejecting the mail for some reason, like wrong header information.

But the queue is refilled once the messages are sent, with the same previous messages, so I don't think they are being sent. That means that when SMF tries to sent, it knows immediately that the messages are not being delivered, and in consequence it places the messages again in queue.

I wonder if SMF logs SMTP connections somehow. I feel like giving blind sticks, cause this should be as easy to troubleshot as checking the SMTP dialog between SMF and the SMTP server.

Please, can someone clarify if my logs are not working ok, or simply they are and SMF does not log SMTP dialogs anywere? Cause in the second situation, maybe ask the mail provider for the logs would be a more productive approach.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

No I did actually specifically mean receiving services, so the addresses you are sending mail to,
because services like gmail like to kill messages from senders that do not fill certain criteria.
I know, I battled with this in the past myself - And ended up learning quite a bit about DKIM, DMARC and SPF.

But, if you try to login to SMF with an account that exists, and give a bad password, SMF definitely should log it - If this is not the case, then something isn't working right. You should normally find the errors in the log, under the "User" filter if necessary.

SMTP communication is logged only when something goes wrong as far as I know, but if your log isn't working at all then this wouldn't do any good. Please check your settings, error logging can be turned on and off, I don't remember the exact location for this setting in 2.0 right now, but it's there.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: