News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Default membergroup upon registration

Started by glasschalice, June 01, 2023, 05:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glasschalice

I need all members to be put in a certain membergroup by default when they register.  I found a couple of mods that were made to do this but they don't seem to be working with SMF 2.1.  Is there somewhere in the options now that this can be achieved without using a mod?  I'm also wondering if it is possible with the base SMF program and I might have messed it up by modifying the membergroups.... Attaching a screenshot of what my membergroups looks like right now...

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

glasschalice

I tried installing that mod and I got an error message saying it isn't compatible.  I was able to get the following mod installed:

https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=1804

The installation was successful but I couldn't find where the mod is in the menu system to use it.  Now when I try to uninstall I get an error message that says the following:

Error in package removal
At least one error was encountered during a test removal of this package.
It is strongly recommended that you do not continue with removal unless you know what you are doing, and have made a backup very recently.

This error may be caused by a conflict between the package you're trying to install and another package you have already installed, an error in the package, a package which requires another package that you have not installed yet, or a package designed for another version of SMF.

glasschalice

I'm getting really confused here... I made a membergroup named Registered Users thinking that I would need a group to specify what most members will be in so that they will all have the same permissions.  It appears that no new members who register are in a membergroup at all.  It says "no primary membergroup" on the user's forum profile page.  Where are the permissions for new members that have not been assigned a specific membergroup?  Maybe I don't need a specific group for registered users?  We will only have 2 Admins and maybe 2 moderators at most.  Everyone else I was going to put in Registered Users.

Sir Osis of Liver

Permissions for no primary membergroup are Regular Members.

- R. Waters

glasschalice

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on June 01, 2023, 06:27:35 PMPermissions for no primary membergroup are Regular Members.

If you look at the screenshot I attached above there is no "Regular Members" group in my membergroup list.  Is there supposed to be?  If not, where do you change permissions for Regular Members?  TY!!

Sir Osis of Liver

No, there is no regular member group.  Permissions are in Admin > Permissions.

- R. Waters

Kindred

The regular members is not an actual group, but is a virtual, default group for permissions that apply to any user with no primary group assigned
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

glasschalice

Thank you both.  This makes much more sense now.

Advertisement: