Does it really matter if I am stuck on 2.0.19 indefinitely ?

Started by aegersz, June 01, 2023, 06:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aegersz

I have too many mods (162) that I have taken years to coexist happily, to move to 2.1

Will you keep supporting SMF 2.0 ?

How long can I sit on 2.0.19 ?
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Sir Osis of Liver

1.1 branch was supported for 7 years after 2.0 official release (Jun 2011-Mar 2018).  Vague hints have been dropped that 2.0 support will not continue that long.  You can continue running it after it goes eol if you're not overly concerned about security updates (I'm not).  Installing a lot of mods is usually unnecessary, a bad idea, and I don't recommend it.  162 mods is way over the top.  What you could do is set up a clone, upgrade to 2.1, and tinker with mods as a busywork project while you continue running 2.0 in production.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

aegersz

Thanks. I like my mods though. But I do have a 2.1 system online (live) but I haven't migrated from 2.0 yet.

How do I get my 2.0 data into 2.1 (I know, it's a very basic question) ?
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Diego Andrés

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

aegersz

landyvlad

192 mods?  What on earth do you need 192 mods for?

Since most 2.0 mods don't use hooks, I'm absolutely astounded that you got that many to work without crashing the whole lot, and that updates on the mods haven't caused issues with compatibility.  Or do you not update the mods either.

The answer to your question though is that you can continue to use it for, more or less, as long as you like but it ultimately won't be supported forever.

Though very unlikely to be a problem for years yet, as PHP versions evolve you may eventually not be able to have a 'low enough' PHP version available with your host to run 2.0.19  but that's certainly a long term issue.

Certainly there's no rush for you to change.

I would encourage you to keep a 2.1 version going so you can see what 2.1 mods there are and see what can be replaced in your existing set up with new mods available.

With 2.1's included functions plus 2.1 mods now (and developing) I'd be very surprised if you can't get a forum doing what you want to do with far fewer mods than that.

Also I'm really curious and would love if you'd post here a list of all the mods you are using :)  Please.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Kindred

I had 250+ mods installed into 2.0 at one point....

to see if I could get it done...  only minimal manual edits.
It was my test site, though, so that has long been replaced with other tests.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

aegersz

Quote from: landyvlad on June 07, 2023, 02:09:28 AM192 mods?  What on earth do you need 192 mods for?

Since most 2.0 mods don't use hooks, I'm absolutely astounded that you got that many to work without crashing the whole lot, and that updates on the mods haven't caused issues with compatibility.  Or do you not update the mods either.

The answer to your question though is that you can continue to use it for, more or less, as long as you like but it ultimately won't be supported forever.

Though very unlikely to be a problem for years yet, as PHP versions evolve you may eventually not be able to have a 'low enough' PHP version available with your host to run 2.0.19  but that's certainly a long term issue.

Certainly there's no rush for you to change.

I would encourage you to keep a 2.1 version going so you can see what 2.1 mods there are and see what can be replaced in your existing set up with new mods available.

With 2.1's included functions plus 2.1 mods now (and developing) I'd be very surprised if you can't get a forum doing what you want to do with far fewer mods than that.

Also I'm really curious and would love if you'd post here a list of all the mods you are using :)  Please.

See my signature for the links you wish to see. It's taken a lot of manual edits to get them all working and I do update some mods from time to time.

m4z

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on June 01, 2023, 06:25:45 PM1.1 branch was supported for 7 years after 2.0 official release (Jun 2011-Mar 2018).  Vague hints have been dropped that 2.0 support will not continue that long.  You can continue running it after it goes eol if you're not overly concerned about security updates (I'm not).

As mentioned in the 2.1.0 announcement, 2.0 is already out of regular support and will receive security updates only:

"SMF 2.0 remains supported and will continue to receive security updates for the foreseeable future, but this release officially marks the end of further 2.0 development. We will release a separate announcement for any future changes to SMF 2.0's status."
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

aegersz

OK, thanks.

How will I know if there are any security updates pending ? MY last update was to 2.0.19.

Diego Andrés

No updates pending unless a new patch is released for 2.0.x.

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

aegersz

Right, thank you. If it's just another patch then i'm sure I will find it.

Steve

It will show in the usual place in the admin panel as soon as you log into it.
DO NOT pm me for support!

aegersz

Is that in the Live from Simple Machines... frame ?

I always miss news about updates so maybe I am not looking for them and/or that is not the right place. I only found out about 2.0.19 by accident whilst browsing this forum.

Kindred

yes, in that section of the admin, there will be notifications of updates
--   also in the package manager itself, you should receive notification that an update is available
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

aegersz

Thanks, I found it.

Ok, I am going to try the Upgrade package.

It took me ages to duplicate my current system as I had had problems with the SACHAT mod but got there eventually.

So I used repair settings to point to the new smf214 directory and the clone database:
 echo "create database smf214" | mysql
 mysqldump smf209 | mysql smf214

I now have a fully functional clone called smf214 .

Am I set to run the upgrade now without fear of destroying my live system ?

Kindred

if you have a 2.0.19 clone running -- with confirmation that it's in separate file location and using a separate database -- then yes, you can run the large upgrade (no package manager for major upgrades) without affecting your prod system.    As always - take a backup anyways.
Слaва
Украинi

aegersz

I have a database backup and I hope that is enough.

I also have a weekly image of my entire disk.

aegersz

I had to edit the new 214 database table prefixes from smf209_ to smf214_ but apart from that, it worked !

aegersz

I can't login as anyone. I get Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again.

Advertisement: