In the old forum topics, only Receive Alerts are enabled.

Started by User2, June 03, 2023, 07:41:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

User2

Hello. I used to have the forum version 2.0. Now I have switched to version 2.1 and I have become not subscribed to receive email notifications on old topics, but only receive alerts.

What needs to be done so that I become subscribed to email notifications on all old topics, i.e. so that the topic has Receive emails and alerts.

Otherwise I won't know that someone answered in the old topic

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Email topic notifications are not carried over when upgrading 2.0 > 2.1.  They should be.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

User2

Sir Osis of Liver, Quote:
They should be.

I didn't understand you, please explain.

Sir Osis of Liver

You have to update notifications.  2.1 upgrade does not save email topic notifications.  Would be better if it did.

- R. Waters

User2

Sir Osis of Liver

That would be up to the devs.  I'd like to think if it were simple they would have done it.

- R. Waters

shawnb61

The challenge is that there are more options in 2.1 than in 2.0.  2.0 was email only.  2.1 allows email or the online alerts.  The upgrade process keeps them at online alerts instead of emails, as we believe most people would prefer alerts over emails. 

Which means those who really still want emails need to go tweak the settings for watched boards & topics.

When I migrated our forum to 2.1, I published a series of announcements, highlighting new features & changes.  I told everyone to look carefully at their notification settings, including watched boards & topics, etc.  Most opted to leave notifications as online alerts.  (I also pointed out that we have real timezone support for the first time, & they might want to review that in their profile, etc., etc.)

Note that users can make bulk updates under their profile, under Notifications.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Kindred

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on June 03, 2023, 02:34:25 PMEmail topic notifications are not carried over when upgrading 2.0 > 2.1.  They should be.

As explained by the Dev...  no, they should not be. The change to alerts (which did not exist in 2.0.x) was done intentionally and with forethought.
Just because you disagree with the choice does not make it wrong... especially since a user can easily go change back to emails if they really want it.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Understood, but it has caused problems for me because I have support topics on multiple forums, some of which I haven't been to in a while, and some of them rely on topic notifications to contact me.  Alerts don't serve the same purpose if I don't visit the forum.

- R. Waters

User2

Quote from: shawnb61 on June 03, 2023, 03:37:51 PMNote that users can make bulk updates under their profile, under Notifications.
Please write the sequence of actions so that I can do it.

Quote from: shawnb61 on June 03, 2023, 03:37:51 PM2.1 allows email or the online alerts.
Where can I track these online alerts: in some program or somewhere else?
As I understand it, these alerts are visible only on the forum, and there are no alerts outside the forum.

Sir Osis of Liver

Notifications by email and/or alerts are member options, only the member who selects them receives the emails or sees the alerts.  It's accessed via usermenu notifications or profile.  I don't believe there's any way for admins to see member notification options.

- R. Waters

User2

Sir Osis of Liver, I am interested in bulk updates. Maybe this is what I need.

Sir Osis of Liver

Not sure what is meant by bulk updates.  You can update watched boards and topics in notifications, but only your own.  You can try it on this forum.

- R. Waters

User2

Sir Osis of Liver, I want all existing themes to have Receive emails and alerts.  I want to do this for myself, not for some users. What is unclear?
New answers appear in old topics, I don't find out about them. I find out by chance when I go to the forum for some reason.

shawnb61

You need to take some steps using your profile's Notifications tab.

First, under General Settings, make sure that the "Receive forum newsletters, announcements and important notifications by email" box is checked.   This one checkbox enables/disables email for you.

Next, set your defaults under Alert Preferences, Boards and Topics.  Make sure email & alerts are both selected.

Next, on the Watched Topics tab, select all the topics.  When they are all checked, press the "Use default preference" button.   

Scroll around & make sure you got them all.

Repeat the last 2 steps for the Watched Boards tab.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

User2

shawnb61

Look near the top of your Notifications tab under your profile.

User2

shawnb61, it helped, thank you.
But I don't need this item, it doesn't affect notifications in themes: First, under General Settings, make sure that the "Receive forum newsletters, announcements and important notifications by email" box is checked.   This one checkbox enables/disables email for you.

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

Advertisement: