News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Image for urls sent?

Started by Joonoz, June 08, 2023, 09:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joonoz

When I post a link to my forum a default image (of a members avatar of a dog????) shows up next to the link

How do I change this?

Kindred

I don't believe that adding a preview of the URL is default behavior for URL links in core SMF...    What mods do you have installed.

Or are you talking about posting a link TO your forum on another site, like facebook?

If the second one...    facebook automatically picks the first image that it finds as the preview, unless there is an OG:image defined...     You might try the Optimus mod - but I'm not sure if that defines the Image part of the Open Graph list.

Otherwise, there really is not any current option.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Joonoz

Quote from: Kindred on June 08, 2023, 09:33:33 AMOr are you talking about posting a link TO your forum on another site, like facebook?

yes it's this one, for some reason it always uses a picture of this member avatar 9shown in the first link)

very strange

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Kindred

It's not strange... it's how facebook works ---  if you don't have an OG:image defined, it uses the first one that it picks up on the page ---  and then caches that choice
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sesquipedalian

You can set an Open Graph image in the settings for SMF's default theme.

If you are using a custom theme, you will need to check whether that theme supports adding an Open Graph image. If not, try asking the theme designer to add it.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Joonoz

Quote from: Kindred on June 09, 2023, 02:35:36 PMIt's not strange... it's how facebook works ---  if you don't have an OG:image defined, it uses the first one that it picks up on the page ---  and then caches that choice

How do I clear that cache?

thank you

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Through the debug tools I linked above.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: