News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

After deleting the user, the IP address remains.

Started by User2, June 10, 2023, 03:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

User2

Hello. After deleting the user, the IP address remains.
What should I do so that after deleting a user, all information about the user is deleted?
I don't want any personal information stored on my forum.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

SMF was never designed to be completely anonymous, and keeping IP addresses as possible identifiers with messages is part of the core functionality. They are stored for security reasons first and foremost, and if this question is related to GDPR requirements or similar, this is also a valid reason then. You just need to be public about it, and note in your privacy policy that the IP address used to publish content is stored along with the content, and is kept as long as the content is kept or something along those lines.

If you want all identifiable information to be removed, you should really remove the messages as well when deleting a user.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

IIRC, it's not difficult to prevent the forum from saving IPs, but it does affect some functionality (i.e., bans).
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

User2

Sir Osis of Liver, I would like the ip addresses to be deleted only from deleted visitors.
I have bans by ip addresses, so I probably need ip addresses on the forum.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: