News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Egh.. What a headache. Can anyone help?

Started by AquaMizuko, November 29, 2005, 05:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AquaMizuko

I want to convert a phpbb on one server to a SMF on another server. I haven't been able to figure out how though, is there any way to do this? I did a backup of the database and tried restoring it on a fresh install of phpbb on the server with the SMF, but the board kept its old tables, and I don't know how I'd convert it to the new tables before even thinking about converting the board to SMF. Is it possible? Also, would it be compatible with the SMF skins after? Someone told me it might not be, but they only work with phpbb.. :\ Hope that was understandable.

Fizzy

How about if convert using http://www.simplemachines.org/download.php/phpbb2_to_smf.php on the old server and then export SMF to the new server?
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

AquaMizuko

That'd be easier, thing is we're keeping this from the board host (who happens to be the only person around with a lot of knowledge on this sort of thing) for now, so I'm attempting to do it myself. :P Would it work if I just wiped out the tables, checked the table names of the restore (there's 4 sets of phpbb tables on the db right now and I don't know which is which, sadly), then installed a forum with the table names then restored maybe?

Fizzy

I'm afraid it's not clear if you are talking about SMF or PhpBB tables.

I would suggest following my first suggestion, do the conversion on your old server, transfer the forum to your new host when the conversion is complete and then delete the old tables on your old server.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

Advertisement: