News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Read Topic Permission

Started by Sheepy, November 30, 2005, 10:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheepy

Link to Mod

This mod adds three group permissions that allow/deny users from reading normal/sticky/digest topics.  Listing of topic is unaffected.

Own topics are not affected.
Attachments are not affected, however if you cannot read a topic then you can't see links to its attachments.
If a user cannot access a board, read permissions cannot help it.

Digest topic is supported by Topic Digest mod and is optional.  This is an independent mod.
Sticky digest topics are treated as sticky topic for read permission if sticky is enabled.

Check access for recent posts or last posts, but not search result (that only shows partial posts anyway).  Search can be controlled with another permission.

Error messages can be customised in modifications.english.php

Saku

thanks for this mod but i did a manuel instal because i got a error with package manager
The package you tried to upload either is not a valid package or has become corrupted.

Sheepy

No problem for me.  Try redownload?

Gwydion Frost

"This mod adds three group permissions that allow/deny users from reading normal/sticky/digest topics."

These settings...they appear under the "global board permissions" section of the "permissions by membergroup" page of the admin board? Specifically, under "General", located under the "Moderate Board" permission?

Reason I asked is because I installed your mod, and three check boxes appeared there. Unfortunately, they are not LABELLED, so I have no idea which box belongs to what...

Sheepy

The mod supports only English, so if you're using some other languages then the labels won't show.

IIRC, from top to bottom, the settings are permission for reading stickies, normal posts, and digest posts (effective only if topic digest mod is also installed, which supports English and Chinese).  I would suggest registering a test account to verify that you're setting the correct permissions.[/olor]

Sheepy

Oh yes, it is possible to show the labels, if it is really because you're not using english, by copying the labels, helps and error messages from modification.english.php to modification.whatever-language-you-are-using.php.

Gwydion Frost

Uh, I AM using english.

Here's the newest...I uninstalled it, reloaded it, and tried to reinstall. I get this message:

Modification parse error

when it's testing to install...

I'll bite, why would it be doing this?

Sheepy

Hmm.  This is curious, because I've friends who successfully installed it.  I'll retest the mod today then.

Gwydion Frost

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, because from what I've seen, you have reliable mods... LOL

Sheepy

Yes I see what is wrong now.  Messed up quite big this time :o, although it shouldn't affect functionality or security.  Trying to find the best way to fix it...

Technically, I accidently keyed two permission checking operations with same comment, so they are both applied twice, one after another.  As a result they can't be uninstalled with the usual reverse operation.

[edited: added technical details]

Sheepy

Fixed.  New version 1.0.1.  Users experiencing no problems are advised to upgrade as well since old version does not check read permission in show member post.

spaceman

Yeah nice mod. Am looking for this for long. Just wondering is there a DEMO for it? :)

Suggestion:

By the way instead of error message, it would be preferable to show a login screen for the guest as well if they need login permission to read the topics?

Thank you in advance!

Sheepy

Quote from: sadiqbaig on December 15, 2005, 11:51:13 AM
does this work for smf RC 1.1
btw i cant create any topics in any forum
Yes this mod is designed for and so far only for 1.1 RC 1.

For inability to create topics, you may wish to seek help in the support board, unless it is proven or highly suspected that it is related with this mod (which is extraordinary unlikely).  :-\

Quote from: spaceman on December 15, 2005, 04:24:48 PM
Yeah nice mod. Am looking for this for long. Just wondering is there a DEMO for it? :)

By the way instead of error message, it would be preferable to show a login screen for the guest as well if they need login permission to read the topics?
Thanks.  I fear that I do not have a English demo site availble at this moment, but I'll consider building one.  ::)

The permissions are handled like default ones - if a user do not have the right to read a topic, it results in the standard error message screen, and if that user is a guest, a login form will also be displayed.

In list of multiple posts, such as unread posts or user posts, the post body will be replaced by an error message, without login form even for guests.  This I can do without making the mod dependent on theme.

That say, as long as the language resource in modification.english.php is available, it should works for all themes.  8)

[edited: added emoicons~ I was in a hurry]

OlliMuc

Hi,

has anyone tried this mod with 1.0.5 yet? I guess I'll have to upgrade if I want it to work ... on the other hand, there's only version RC2 right now to upgrade to. What would you recommend to do?

Sheepy

If past record is any indication, we'll get 1.1 final in a few days, but I feel slightly more maybe needed this time.  Eitherway, it shouldn't be far and I'm going to upgrade the mod so I'd suggest you wait a week or two and upgrade when it arrives.

If you want RC1, or Beta3Public, or 1.0.x, you can get it from the download page.  Archived downloads or something, at the top.

OlliMuc

Hey Sheepy,

thanks a lot for the reply, I'm happy to wait for the 1.1 relase. Really looking forward to it  ;).

Sheepy

FBI

Nice mod. :)
Currently using RC2. Which setting should be checked? I am trying to setting in Admin Area - Permissions - Modify Guest Group.

There is 3 new:
- Read sticky topic      
- Read normal topic --> I check and Uncheck , nothing happen on Guest viewing (still can't read)      
- Read digest topic (with digest mod installed), currently I didnt installing, yet.

Thanks..

definitive

thanks for the mod, very useful,
but what about search engines? i think this will not allow them to index the forum, how can we allow them to do so?

thanks

Advertisement: