News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Common Log In Option

Started by srs, March 01, 2024, 01:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srs

I currently use version 2.0.4

I want to be able to allow log in with a standard identity and password that can be used by everyone who wants to log in. This would allow me to publish this information in our journal rather than each member having to register individually.

Is it possible to set this up and for the administrator to then change the identity and password from time to time so that only current members can log in.

Thanks, John

Arantor

Surely that's just 'create an account' and then turn off registration? Or even just create an account from the admin area?

Kindred

I mean, sure, you can do that...but it's a really stupid idea, imnsho...

Incidentally, if you really are running 2.0.4 --- you need to update ASAP. There are known security issues which were fixed in the later versions
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

Quote from: srs on March 01, 2024, 01:36:28 PMI currently use version 2.0.4
Is this a typo? If you're really on 2.0.4 then you are 15 versions behind in the 2.0.x line.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I can think of quite a few possible issues with this setup, even though it's technically possible.
I would think that simply hiding the whole page behind a password would be easier and actually safer.
I also think SMF might not really be the right tool for the job here, perhaps something like Wordpress or Drupal would be a better fit for simply publishing content.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

srs

Thank you each for the comments. I'll now ponder the best way forward.

John

Steve

Once you decide, if you have questions in regards to SMF, please start a new topic. :)

Marking solved.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: