Issue accessing admin panel

Started by w0lfman, March 11, 2024, 09:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w0lfman

When i click the link to access the Admin tab i'm receiving "Cannot access offset of type string on string" with all other tabs working without issue. Current version SMF 2.0.19 and no recent updates or packages over the past several months.  Appears to have begun throwing the error about 4 days ago.   

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

w0lfman

myPHPAdmin indicates PHP version: 8.1.27

Sir Osis of Liver

2.0.19 supports up to php 8.0.  It will run in 8.1, but not happily.  Try downgrading to 8.0.

- R. Waters

w0lfman

great info.  is there a how to located here on the steps to complete a downgrade? 

Sir Osis of Liver

You would have to do that in your host control panel.  Should be an option to select php version.

- R. Waters

Steve

Look for MultiPHP Manager or similar.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Doug Heffernan

If you don't have a cPanel or your cPanel doesn't have the option to allow for php upgrade, you should contact your host about it.

Regarding the below, were you already using php 8.1. before 4 days ago?

Quote from: w0lfman on March 11, 2024, 09:41:54 PMAppears to have begun throwing the error about 4 days ago.

w0lfman

Quote from: Doug Heffernan on March 13, 2024, 08:22:55 AMIf you don't have a cPanel or your cPanel doesn't have the option to allow for php upgrade, you should contact your host about it.

Regarding the below, were you already using php 8.1. before 4 days ago?

Quote from: w0lfman on March 11, 2024, 09:41:54 PMAppears to have begun throwing the error about 4 days ago.

yes, and unless web host did a php upgrade without my knowledge not sure how the upgrade happened. I haven't made any changes for several months. Just began out of the blue.

Steve

Then contact your host and see what version of PHP they have you on.

w0lfman

looking at my cPanel>phpMyAdmin this is what version web server 8.1.27 and phpMyAdmin 5.2.1.  I attached a screenshot from cPanel as well as the consistent error.  It seem the only tab that is affected is the Admin tab.  Everything else seems to function properly.  I have had reports where users cant access their profile to change avatars, but other than that things seem ok

w0lfman

these are my version options with cpanel...

Kindred

Yeah, that's a problem.

2.0.19 definitely does not support 8.2.

Switch down to 8.0. Or upgrade smf
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

w0lfman

upgrade is in my future, but for now downgrading to 8.0 looks to be best option.  And for clarification i can simply make this change on the fly at this point?  just click the option for 8.0 and let it do what it needs to do?  any reason i should put forum in maintenance mode before doing it?

w0lfman

downgraded to 8.0, but i appear to have the same issue. no change trying to access admin tab

Deaks

can you actually access the admin panel
so in your address bar add

index.php?action=admin;area=featuresettings

after your url to your forum for example

www.website.com/forum/index.php?action=admin;area=featuresettings
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Kindred

Check with your host. It looks like your forum location is not accepting your setting to use php 8.0
Слaва
Украинi

Doug Heffernan

What was the latest change done to the forum prior to this happening?

w0lfman

Doug i had not made any changes for several months thats what was so confusing.  However, i do have good news...i had to downgrade php version to 7.4 for it to finally correct the string on string issue.  So for now the forum appears to be fully functional.  Serious thank yous to everyone that pointed me to root cause.  greatly appreciated. 

Deaks

thats great to hear, I would also suggest having a look at your  mods see what ones are needed etc as 30 can be alot specially if they are not using the hooks system.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

w0lfman

i agree.  i have a test forum with the new smf version and i believe there are several mods i can eliminate once upgraded

Steve

Quote from: Deaks on March 22, 2024, 10:00:45 AMsee what ones are needed etc as 30 can be alot
Try saying that to @Kindred ...  :laugh:

Kindred

Quote from: Steve on March 24, 2024, 09:49:11 AM
Quote from: Deaks on March 22, 2024, 10:00:45 AMsee what ones are needed etc as 30 can be alot
Try saying that to @Kindred ...  :laugh:

Hey, I only installed that many mods to prove it could be done and maintained! I reset after about 6 months
Слaва
Украинi

Steve

Advertisement: