News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Board loads slow

Started by itsjustme, December 01, 2005, 07:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlottezweb

Quote from: Fizzy on December 02, 2005, 02:41:55 PM
Have you tried migrating the threads from the old to the new board?

Depends on what you mean by that.  I did manually move one thread from one of the slow boards to a brand new board and it did the same thing as I described above...

Ben_S

Quote from: charlottezweb on December 02, 2005, 02:17:34 PM
Is that just supposed to show the db queries?

If so, they don't even add up.

I saw one that said page created in 33 seconds with 13 queries.  Then when you view the queries below and add them up, they don't come close to even half of a second.

That shows it's not database related then, any of the topics have a lot of bbc code in? I'd suggest trying upgrading it to 1.1 RC1 which has a rewritten bbc parser.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

charlottezweb

:)  I just suggested 1.1 rc 1 to him not less than 3 minutes ago.

I think that's our next step.  Thanks

Killer Possum

It wouldn't be the BBC code though would it? It's slow accessing the board as well, not just the post itself?

Ben_S

There is some degree of bbc processing done on the boardindex for some reason IIR.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

itsjustme

upgrade to rc1 complete...still slow on those two boards

DogAddicts is a community for people who are passionate about their dogs.

WannaFindit.com

a Search place

itsjustme

Ok, rechecked both boards, they are still slow loading, no change.

On the home page, I use ssi's, to list 25 or more of the topics on those two boards.  The home page loads fast, no delay getting them in.

When you click on one of the links produced by the ssi's, it goes straight to the board, no delay.  (both stores and hot deals)

But if you go to the forum index, then click on either of those two boards, that's where the delay is.

Dave

WannaFindit.com

a Search place

Killer Possum

OK, I got it working fast now... one board so far anyways.

What's going on is, for some reason, when itsjustme posted all those links using HTML it slowed the boards down. Now, when I switched it all to BBC code, it's blazing fast again.

Is there a reason why it's having trouble with HTML?

Joshua Dickerson

This is a little odd. It is just that one board - Stores. Now to figure out what is wrong with it. It does load part of the message in the messageindex. You said that you removed the HTML from the other board, right? So what happens if you move certain topics out of that board - maybe we can figure out which topic is causing it to figure out what is causing that. I would look at the code itself, but I am not on my computer right now.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

Killer Possum

It actually seems to be all the boards containing HTML. See, I cleaned the first 10 topics and it went fast, however, if you went to the second page of topics (which at the time still had HTML, looks like they are edited now) it would be slow.

Joshua Dickerson

I assume you mean all of the topics containing HTML.

I am guessing what is happening is that the part of messagindex.php where it grabs the first 128 characters from the first and last message in the topic, it is getting caught in a loop because of parse_bbc wanting to 'fix' the HTML. I might be wrong. On the other hand, it could be the fact that it does strip_tags after doing parse_bbc... I have to delve more deeply in to this.

Killer Possum

Err... yeah sorry, it's late :P

itsjustme

I am going through and changing all to bbc. That is why some of the stores pages are going fast.  I can leave one page worth, or create another board to keep some copies in if we want to keep for reference.

WannaFindit.com

a Search place

Ride

I have this same problem with one of my boards.  Everything else loads super fast.  It takes on average 25 seconds to load!

Ride

ok, all I had to do was uncheck "enable basic html in posts" and BAM!  Fixed!!  Went from 25 second query to 0.11 seconds.

Joshua Dickerson

Quote from: Ride on December 15, 2005, 02:57:04 PM
ok, all I had to do was uncheck "enable basic html in posts" and BAM!  Fixed!!  Went from 25 second query to 0.11 seconds.
hmm.. this is a common problem I have been seeing. Going to report it as a bug

Ride

Quote from: groundup on December 15, 2005, 04:59:16 PM
Quote from: Ride on December 15, 2005, 02:57:04 PM
hmm.. this is a common problem I have been seeing. Going to report it as a bug

I'm using 1.05 by the way.

Advertisement: