RPG MOD

Started by PitViper, December 05, 2005, 03:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PitViper

Ok I accidentally posted this at Niko's website, sorry about that. Should of posted it here. (ahem, cut and paste)....

These mods have been becoming very popular around community boards. However I have yet to actually find one for SMF.

Request:

Full RPG Mod (if one is possible to create)

-Those features to include:

* RPG Item Shop

(could work in compliance with the Shop Mod???)

* Inventory MOD

(allows players to buy equipment)

* RPG Battle System

(to include battle fields)

The sky is the limit for a project like this, just have fun with it.

I know that phpBB has many betas and under developments for this type of mod so why can't SMF? :D.

Kindred

ummm.... why?

SMF is a forum.   Why should it be an RPG?  If you want an RPG, check out the Legend of the Green Dragon.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Thantos

OMG LORD LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jenny!!!!!!

Sorry but LoRD was one of my two fav BBS games (TW being the other).

Creating a RPG mod really wouldn't be that hard.  But you'll need to specify your parameters a lot more then that.  Like how do they get the money to buy their equipment?  What are the rules for the battle system?  Level based, stat based, or other?

Kindred

rotfl...  Yes, LoRD lives!   I used to run that on my old BBS (along with TW) and when I saw LotGD posted on Seth Abel's board, I was absolutely thrilled...

BTW: I am in the process of making a bridge file to link login from SMF over to LotGD.  Expect something around the end of January.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

PitViper

Just downloaded it, installed it (after some trouble with the install.php file) am now addicted to it...and what's this with only a limited number of turns...grrrr. But now at level 3.

Thanks for the recommendation  ;D

Dresdan

Quote from: MikeMill on December 05, 2005, 04:27:25 PM

Creating a RPG mod really wouldn't be that hard.  But you'll need to specify your parameters a lot more then that.  Like how do they get the money to buy their equipment?  What are the rules for the battle system?  Level based, stat based, or other?

I would love to see this also.  I'm developing a free forum role play site. Many other forum systems out there have a mod for this.  I was trying to do some of the features with the shop mod, but its a terrible pain.  The stats and money could all be post count based which could be set by admin,  Such as every XX posts the user goes up one level, his HP goes up one level, MP goes up one level but he could accumulate $ for every post.  And just like the shop hack the admin could determine which forums count towards these increases.  I have no idea on coding but I'm sure there are others who could be more helpful.

Let me try to show you.

$20gp
level 1
+------
HP  5/32
++-----
MP 5/32
++-----

this is a simple layout but maybe it will help.  for every post a member makes his $,HP, and MP go up.  Right now he is at level one, when the HP, and MP reach 32 he will be level two and the HP, and MP will jump up to the next needed level.

$100gp
level 2
++-----
HP 32/54
+-------
MP32/54
+-------

It would also be cool if the person didn't post withing X amount of days MP, HP start to go down.  I wouldn't really need a battle system at all, just something like this to keep track of our characters. 

+----  denotes some small led looking bar representing the totals.

Just a thought. :D

Gwydion Frost

For me, the concept of "real time" gaming has always been a lousy way to do business. You can only play with certain players (those who just so happen to be logged in when you are), need to schedule yourself so that you are online when others need you to be to be involved in a certain plot, no time or effort is emphasized-- reaction NOW (usually resulting in a hack and slash environment) is the means to play.

I've been a fan of play by post games for a while now, because they tend to be moderated (you act, moderator plays the role of the dice), they give you time to compose and think (I can muse over the nice long detailed post and other replies while at work, then come home and craft my lengthy, thoughtful, and most artistic literary reply), and mostly because they are far better for playing the psychological complexities I enjoyed playing in my table top gaming years.

The downside I've seen to play by post, however, is a preponderence of OOC knowledge. Player A, in City A can read about Player B in City B, and use this knowledge (certainly not if I'm moderating, else the Wrath of the Gods finds him, and twists his plans with devious intents) to further his plans in the game. Or perhaps it's a case of reading people's profiles, so you know which one in the crowd to pickpocket. Or reading entries of the Compendiums, so you can make sure that, even though it is called a secret in the Compendium entry, you know that elves have a weakness for cold wrought iron, even though you come from a place with no practical experience with elves, and have never even seen nor spoken with one during game play. I lovingly call this aspect of the game "Omnivision".

For me, the key has been to begin tweaking the forums into something a little more...personal. So far, I've been restricted to usergroup (membergroup) permissions, but it's a start. Hard for you to read an entry in the compendium you aren't supposed to, if you can only get information specific to your race and region (your everyman knowledge). Hard for you to peruse OTHER people's play on boards you aren't on.

As I said, it's a start. Here's where I plan on going with it:

I have done multiple installs of a forum system with all the forums sharing the memberbase, and a few other key tables. What this allows is one log-in for accessing all the various forums. I have designated each forum to a different genre, from medieval fantasy to modern day, each being developed to be a physical representation of the setting. It takes four days to cross the desert? Guess what, there are four different threads (representing the various geological places in the desert) that you must post across to travel it!

I'm also tweaking the profiles, so that when you log in, they appear to be the profile of the particular character of the board you are playing, versus showing up as "Bob from Ohio" on all the boards. This would include separate avatars. They would also post as the character as well. Only moderators and administrators would have a clue as to which characters actually belong to which players across the whole spectrum of games.

The compendiums are designed with the player in mind as well. If elves from city A are under the belief that dwarves are made of rock, then guess what...as a player of an elf of city A...your version that you can access of the compendium says that dwarves are made of rock! You can't see the entry for the dwarves, that tell them that they think you elves are made of wood! This allows for the character to discover on their own that all the old wives' tales that they "grew up with" aren't necessarily true. It also builds into the system the prejudices and bigotries that make a racial relationship dynamic. It's a pet peeve of mine that races that are supposed to be shunned and persecuted aren't, because players don't work against each other, they work with each other...even though they shouldn't be. This helps.

The customizing of the profiles also allows for shapeshifters to be thought of as the identities that they assume, with only the moderation staff aware of the truth. The further use of permissions allows the psionics to be able to read the profiles of those who don't have a psychic defense...and PMs those that do, of who is trying to nose around in their head...LOL

Where to go with this?

Physical layout of playing world is how the forums will be set up. Each individual area will have links to connecting areas through visual interface (example: think Myst). There will be hidden links, for those paying attention...LOL...to secret places (hey, you can't have an open door to the Thieves' Guild's annual meeting, now can you?) The visuals will most likely be done in Flash...the obvious links would be little animated pieces on the visual...a signpost for an Inn waving in the breeze, etc.

The creation of "event" tags for locations...stopping the player from simply clicking through the location to a connecting without having to participate...example: guardhouses, riot in town square, locked doors, etc.

Restricting the forum to only display OOC boards and the character's current location. This would restrict the character from posting in multiple locations and multiple storylines simultaneously...keeping the character chronology in proper order.

Anyone interested in developing this, contact me!

URPG

As i offered here let me know if you're still at it...

Gwydion Frost

Oh, I'm still at it. :P

vbgamer45

Get working on it! This mod is one of the things that SMF needs.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Advertisement: