News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Bump

Started by Kmam, May 30, 2010, 03:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kmam

Is there a mod for 1.1.11 that will restrict the bumping of threads for a certain amount of time?

H

The nearest thing is probably this
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Paul_Pauline

Quote from: Kmam on May 30, 2010, 03:18:31 PM
Is there a mod for 1.1.11 that will restrict the bumping of threads for a certain amount of time?

I can't help wondering if you are being serious here  ???

You are yourself, amongst the worst topic bumpers on here  ::)
"In every life, no matter how full or empty one's purse, there is tragedy. It is the one promise life always fulfills.
Happiness is a gift and the trick is not to expect it, but to delight in it when it comes and to add to other people's store of it."
Pauline was one of those rare people who increased the store of happiness in the world.

Antechinus

Maybe he's feeling guilty and wants us to install such a mod. ;D
Cool avatar, by the way.

Kmam

Sorry you dont like me and from what i have seen this forum is for support right? Until i can figure things out myself I will have questions. My forum is a freebie forum and to keep it fair people dont need to bump there trade threads every 5 minutes. There is a lot of mods out there and I have overlooked some of them that would be great to add to my forum. As for me WANTING you too doa mod like that, I really dont care if you do or not. But until the forum will not let me ask a question, I will ask them. Its ppl like you that turn newbies like me to other forums

Antechinus

We don't mind people asking questions. We just don't like them bumping their questions in under 24 hours. Doing that will get you a bad rep very quickly.

Quote from: H on May 30, 2010, 03:20:07 PM
The nearest thing is probably this
That mod wouldn't really do it as this isn't really a case of double posts as such. Would probably need to get a custom mod written. Shouldn't be all that hard to code and might be quite handy. I'll move this to Mod Requests.   

Matthew K.

I really don't see how realistic this is; as you would have to exam quite a bit of the post to determine whether it was a bump or legitimate post materiel.

Antechinus

Not really. If you're only wanting to stop people bumping topics within a certain timeframe all you need are the user ID and timestamp from the last post in the thread, both of which are already in the database.

Is user ID the same? If not, no problem. Allow full posting privileges.  If yes, check timestamp against limit set in admin. If current time is less than last post time plus time limit: disallow posting.

This would work here quite well. Our policy is that if people want to add more information in less than 24 hours they should edit their existing post.

Matthew K.

So basically if there are no posts after your last, it won't allow you post again until after the time-frame set by the Admin? And then would encourage you to edit your last post?

Antechinus

I figure not being allowed to make a new post might be enough to encourage them to edit their last post. ;D

H

QuoteThat mod wouldn't really do it as this isn't really a case of double posts as such. Would probably need to get a custom mod written. Shouldn't be all that hard to code and might be quite handy. I'll move this to Mod Requests.   

It handles bumps in the topic from the same person where nobody else has replied yet. In these cases, bumps are exactly the same as double posts ::).

I am of course fully aware that it doesn't cover everything which is why I said it was the nearest thing that exists!
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Advertisement: