SEO Indexing Tools: SMF Sitemaps (SMF 1.0.5-1.1RC2)

Started by Davilac, December 07, 2005, 02:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davilac

Yes, I have the same problem in one forum. Seems Google likes the sitemap in the forum's root. It's not an important problem if only denies some urls, but... You can fix this moving your sitemap to your forum's root and edting the include SSI

About the .htaccess, what it does is to make nice URLs for my sitemap.

sensovision

just installed it on my forum and would look to see how it would perform.
BTW do you think it's worth to rewrite all pages to HTML format? I think it could harm a bit as Google would have listing of two pages dynamic one which it had before and new rewritten one(and it may conclude that it's duplicate content and list only one of it...) I'm also not sure if Google prefer .html extensions over .php.
So right now I'm on changing mod a bit so it would simply refer to usual dynamic pages.
Maybe someone who is engaged in SEO have any thoughts about this?

BTW I'm agree with Davilac that it would be good to move sitemap to root, I'm already modifiyng code to do it on my forum

Davilac

sensovision:

By using modrewrite to rewrite urls to html what I do is to make easier to search engines to index your sitemap pages, as well as it does SMF if you use nice URLs, and it is recommended to use always short urls as they are more easy to index. In my sitemap short urls are not extremely necessary, cause there's only 1 variable and spiders are able to index it, so it is optional.

About the duplicated stuff, you are right, it shouldn't be duplicated pages, but as far as the use of my sitemap are we talking, you will no have any problem if you follow carefully the usage instructions.

It is important for you to know that search engines DO NOT CARE about a file extension. It's the same to use php or to use html or to renamed it to .dhdhdhd

And about SEO, you can be calm because I'm SEO and I know about this.

sensovision

Thanks for writing this mod Davilac!:)
I knew about SE friendly links but always was reluctant to enable them since I thought that old style URLs would not be accessible and all links in post become broken ones(how stupid I was :P ), I've just tried to enable it and spot that both type of links are accessible so I'll try to enable both things.
QuoteIt is important for you to know that search engines DO NOT CARE about a file extension. It's the same to use php or to use html or to renamed it to .dhdhdhd
that's why I asked about .html extensions :) as I wasn't sure that it's really have a sense to change extension.

QuoteIt is important for you to know that search engines DO NOT CARE about a file extension. It's the same to use php or to use html or to renamed it to .dhdhdhd
Daviac, can you please let me know if there some extra instructions except those in the beginning of this thread? as I didn't spot any info about how to make robot to avoid pages not from the sitemap, maybe it should use robots.txt ?

Davilac

There are no more instructions for my sitemap. Just put a link to sitemaps/0.html and all will be working fine.

I don't understand your last question. What pages you don't want in SERPS?

sensovision

I've asked how to avoid duplicated content using this mod? As I think that Google robot would spider both links from the sitemap and links from the main page which are different but have same content which wouldn't be good, or I'm missing something?
QuoteAnd about SEO, you can be calm because I'm SEO and I know about this.
\
that's good :) I was working as SEO for two years but left this business about one year ago as didn't have time for this, so I didn't track search engine news and couldn't now something :P

L.G.S

I have installed this,

setup Google SM, and now it tells me the site map filetype is not supported?
FREE and LIVE World Cup + Premier League football streams:

www.gamesandgoals.com

sensovision

How stupid I was :P just check output of sitemaps.php and realized that it give full URLs not the ones like in index.php so guess the problem is solved, I just change links in index.php and wouldn't worry anymore about duplicate content.

Bigguy

I have installed this on smf 1.0.5 and it seems to work. I get one error when going to my sitemaps page:

QuoteNotice: Undefined index: shop in /home/bigguy/public_html/smf/Sources/Load.php(1103) : eval()'d code on line 938

It all shows up and all so I would think its working but is there a fix for this. I know it wasnt tested on 1.0.5 but had to try. If I need to uninstall I just remove what I uploaded right ?

Kindred

you have the shop mod installed...   that error would not occur in a standard install of SMF 1.0.5 (or 1.1 for that matter)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Bigguy

oh ok. is it a major error or can I ignore it ??? I have everything set up with google to all I have to do is tell it were the sitemap is I think. Is this error going to effect anything.

Kindred

no.. it's not a major error...  it's a problem with the shop mod, actually...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Bigguy

ok,well in that case other than that error it all works fine. No one but google is going to see that page anyway. I have submitted it to google and it has been verified so I guess its a go.

choferer

:D
Sorry Guys,
It seems you solved my Problem. could anybody please tell me, where I can download that mod?
Thanx in advance

TANDIONO.COM

Do we have to copy .htaccess to the previous .htaccess? Thanks

Kindred

NO...  do not replace your current .htaccess (from SMF) with this one...

If you have an existing .htaccess file, then open it and copy this one to the bottom...
Слaва
Украинi

xhale

There's something about .htaccess files that do not like macintoshes. I think that's because of the unix/bsd filesystem.

When I download this, I lose the .htaccess file after unzipping. It's just not there. Can you include an install.txt file with the information we need to copy into the .htaccess file on the server? Or just paste it in this thread. :)

I do, however, get to see your Thumbs.db, you Windows user you. ;-P

TANDIONO.COM

Quote from: Kindred on December 27, 2005, 02:50:53 PM
NO...  do not replace your current .htaccess (from SMF) with this one...

If you have an existing .htaccess file, then open it and copy this one to the bottom...
>:(

Great  :D THanks

Advertisement: