getting error ".../smf/Sources/Subs.php on line 148"

Started by dhudd, December 09, 2005, 05:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhudd

I'm getting several lines across the top of page 1, all with the same error message:
"Notice: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/mphoaor/public_html/smf/Sources/Subs.php on line 148

I also get that error when I try to log in the admin section

I am running Ver 1.0 RC1.

Any suggestions on how to fix it? I can't upgrade just yet. Thanks for any info.

JayBachatero

Woah.  You runing 1.1 RC1 or 1.0 RC1?  If you are using 1.0 RC1 I suggest you upgrade to at least 1.0.5 ASAP.

-JayBachatero
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

dhudd

Thanks for the prompt reply...

I am in a panic mode right now trying to get the forum working. I am worried that if I do an upgrade I will lose whatever is on the forum now.  :'(

Is there a way to correct the error message problem, THEN do an upgrade?

Dick

JayBachatero

All your mods and custom changes made will be lost but all the data will stay in the forum.  I recommend you backup all your files and databse then do the upgrade.  You need the upgrade package in order to upgrade not the install.
Follow me on Twitter

xenovanis

You might want to try this to get your forum up and running again.

/Sources/Subs.php find (line 148)

$ret = &mysql_query($db_string, $db_connection); 

replace

$ret = mysql_query($db_string, $db_connection); 

But it's recommended to upgrade to at least 1.0.5 as soon as possible.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

dhudd

thanks, xenovanis, for your prompt reply and suggested changes to get back to running. However, the change did not work. All i got when I tried to access the forum after making the change was a blank page.

I reversed the change and got the fourm back, with the lines of error code across the top as stated before.

I have backed up the forums files and db, and guess I will try to upgrade.

dhudd

well, upgraded to 1.1 RC1 and got a blank page.

I did all the permissions, and even changed the files inside the directories to the required 777 for attachments, Packages, and Themes.

Changed the files Settings.php and Setting.bak to 666.

It appears the previous info is right inside the files, and the "successful" came back on the upgrade sheet/page. All successful.

But when I click on it, or the forum link - all I get is the blank page.

Now that it is upgraded, what other suggestions do you have? TIA

dhudd

More info from error log:
"[10-Dec-2005 14:07:19] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function:  host_from_ip() in /home/mphoaor/public_html/smf/Sources/Security.php on line 259
[10-Dec-2005 14:07:19] PHP Notice:  Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/mphoaor/public_html/smf/Sources/Subs.php on line 148"

any ideas?

redone

When you view (more detailed) from within your SMF admin panel are all the files current for your install? Sounds like some files were missed during the upgrade.

dhudd

Quote from: redone on December 10, 2005, 10:47:25 PM
When you view (more detailed) from within your SMF admin panel are all the files current for your install? Sounds like some files were missed during the upgrade.

Thanks for the response. I d/l the upgrade package and installed all the files, then CMODed the files and directories indicated. I got the 'successful' listing and it showed all successful checkpoints. At the bottom of the successful list, it has a link to go to the forum. It comes up a blank page. As does the link from the site to enter the forum.

I can't get into the admin panel or anything else. I will completely re-upgrade when I get back in a week, and go from there. I will make sure I get all the files in the upgrade zip package, then see if I get anything. :(

Thanks for the help and responses.

Oldiesmann

To fix the "only variables should be assigned by reference" error, see PHP 4.4.0 Compatibility. Then make sure all the Sources files are up to date.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

dhudd

:D SUCCESS!
It works now! For those having the same problems, let me emphasize it was never a SMF problem. In addition to a flaky ISP cable connection being off and on and off and on again, I found that my FTP program was NOT overwriting the old files for the upgrade.

Once these problems were overcome, the program / update worked flawlessly! And all the previous forum messages were preserved. I had to correct some mods, but did it and it works!

Moral: never, never, never give up. Keep reloading, trying and eventually it will work - SMF rules! Thanks to all the VERY helpful people here!

JayBachatero

Follow me on Twitter

Advertisement: