News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Hiding a board without modification

Started by Thantos, December 10, 2005, 01:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thantos

So you want to hide a board from the Board Index but you don't want to do any modifications.  Well you are in luck

Step 1)
  Create a fake board and give no one access to it
Step 2)
  Create your hidden board and make it a child of the fake board in step 1

And there you now have a hidden board.

A couple of notes:
  - Admins can still see the fake board because they can see everything
  - Put the fake board in a category with other visible boards.  Otherwise you'll just have the category header appearing for no reason.

codenaught

Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

Oldiesmann

If you're a member of my test board, you can see this in action. There's a "members only" board on there that's hidden from view (it's a child board of the guests-only board). Note that this will still show up in the Jump To box.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

wakewatcher

This looks like an oldy but goody.  It gets me part of the way to what I'm trying to do.  I tried this on 2b4 and I think it works as advertised. Once you get to the topic via the url then just by clicking on the navigation links (above the board) you can see the whole topic list of the hidden board.  Ideally I would like to have a way to access a topic in an walled garden fashion.  So for instance http://www.mysmf.com/index.php?topic=80.0 would get me to the topic which would allow me to read it and reply etc but not navigate out to see other topics in the hidden board. -thx-
smf 2.0.18

GR_MrBreez

How do I put a password on a board so only members that know pw can access that board?

Rumbaar

@wakewatcher you should be able to access it directly via a URL

@GR_MrBreez try this mod:
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=922
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Le Monde

Quote from: Thantos on December 10, 2005, 01:59:42 PM
So you want to hide a board from the Board Index but you don't want to do any modifications.  Well you are in luck

Step 1)
  Create a fake board and give no one access to it
Step 2)
  Create your hidden board and make it a child of the fake board in step 1

And there you now have a hidden board.

A couple of notes:
  - Admins can still see the fake board because they can see everything
  - Put the fake board in a category with other visible boards.  Otherwise you'll just have the category header appearing for no reason.

I tried this for SMF 1.1.9 but it doesn´t work....

Le Monde

I created a new board (access only for admins). Then I created a childforum to the new board. 

I don´t want to HIDE the childforums actually, I just want to remove the visible links to the childboards in order to have a cleaner look. I still want the childboards to appear visible if the members click on the board name.

Le Monde

Quote from: Arantor on June 03, 2009, 09:17:36 AM
So you have a child forum, and want it to be visible if a member clicks on the board name but as it's an admin only board it won't be visible to users...?

You want them to click on what board name in order to be able to see it? The idea of this tip was to hide a board from regular view but still be there for people to post to.

This was the original suggestion...

"So you want to hide a board from the Board Index but you don't want to do any modifications.  Well you are in luck"

That´s what I want. I also want my members to view the childboards only when they click on the board name. Of course the members will have permission to post and reply inside the childboards.

I hope you understand my point...

Le Monde

Quote from: Arantor on June 03, 2009, 09:52:42 AM
Oh, you mean hide it from the main index but still be a child of a regular forum board?

That will require a mod, I think.

Yes, that´s my thought.

Rumbaar

If you only want to remove the display of it from the BoardIndex.template.php you can remove the part that generates the child indexes, but it would be an all or nothing thing.  But you could also try and include an ignore function for only one or more boards to not display, but have child boards display for others.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Advertisement: