DHTML and CSS issues

Started by luisr, December 10, 2005, 10:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luisr

Hi there!  I am not sure if this is the right place to ask but here goes.

I had a YaBB SE based forum for a couple of years and recently ported it to Simple Machines.  Every year at different times I add some graphics for decoration using DHTML and JavaScript.  During the Christmas season I add animated lights to the top of the page and a tree at the lower right corner of the screen.  They are supposed to remain static on the screen regardless of scrolling.  They worked fine in YaBB SE and then when I ported the script tags (same exact code) to SMF the images do not remain fixed during scrolling and move with the page.  The script is the same found here:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex4/logo.htm [nofollow]

Another issue is that my style sheet includes colors for the scroll bars.  The main scroll bar does not get those properties and shows the standard Windows appearance.  Yet, scroll bars inside the page, such as the textarea in the editor show the correct colors as per the style sheet.  Strange thing is that in YaBB SE the exact same style sheet made the main window scroll bar show the colors I wanted.

What is different?

luisr

To add a little more info.  I am using Internet Explorer 6.0 at home.  Just noticed from work today (IE version 5.5) that the graphics behave the way they are meant to and all scroll bars show colors from style sheet.  Strange thing is that I have been using IE 6.0 at home ever since I started using Windows XP.  I have all patches and service packs.  Everything else being equal, the only change was moving the forum from YaBB SE to SMF.  Even the forum location is the same.

guppy

Quote from: luisr on December 10, 2005, 10:53:10 PM
Another issue is that my style sheet includes colors for the scroll bars.  The main scroll bar does not get those properties and shows the standard Windows appearance.  Yet, scroll bars inside the page, such as the textarea in the editor show the correct colors as per the style sheet.  Strange thing is that in YaBB SE the exact same style sheet made the main window scroll bar show the colors I wanted.

What is different?

I had this "problem", did some research and found out that it doesn't work on browser scrollbar cos' those styles are not validated by w3. and they ain't valid cos' they are part of the user's browser/property and webmaster shldn't step cross that boundary. i tot that was a valid reason so i stopped changing scrollbar colours  :P i can't remember how to overcome the "problem". i think you have to remove the part checking with w3.

Advertisement: