Multilingual search in SMF's site?

Started by agridoc, December 12, 2005, 01:48:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agridoc

I was one of the first to use Greek language in the Greek support board. It has a drawback that support members can' t read our messages but it is more helpful for those who can't read or write English easily.

As the board is growing the need for search increases. I found that I can't perform search in Greek language. Letters are handled as code and the string is truncated.

It would be interesting to know how the search function perfoms with other non Latin letters languages.

If others have the same problem too it might help the SMF developers to find a way for multilingual search in a multilingual forum.
  For Greek aeromodellers and our friends around the world  - Greek Button sets for SMF - Greeklish to Greek mod
Δeν αφιερώνω χρόνο για μηνύματα σε greeklish.

agridoc

QuoteI was one of the first to use Greek language in the Greek support board.
English language was used in the beginning and this was necessary fot the messages to be read by the SMF support team.

No (Agrinion) agri-doc (the last is real)   ;)

Can you do  a succesful search in Russian language in the Russian SMF support board gri?
  For Greek aeromodellers and our friends around the world  - Greek Button sets for SMF - Greeklish to Greek mod

gri

Quote from: agridoc on December 12, 2005, 08:05:35 AM
Can you do  a succesful search in Russian language in the Russian SMF support board gri?

Yes. Though I use search rarely.
I have not noticed some problems with russian search
at the russian boards.
The border of the problem may lay out
not between the national differences.
Usually the search fails when the topics are.. removed
by moderators of any nationality.

English language was used in the beginning and this was necessary for the messages to be read by the SMF support team.
Are you sure to use the index.greek.php
from the downloaded package ?
Who is the author of greek translation
and who support it currently ?

ps.
No (Agrinion) agri-doc (the last is real)   ;)
What is "agrinion" ? I have no such a word in my dictionary.

agridoc

gri, please, the title of the message is

QuoteCan you do  a succesful search in Russian language in the Russian SMF support board gri?

I didn' t ask if SMF works OK in Russian language in general. The Russian SMF support board Русский (Russian) is a subboard in this (SMF's) community forum. Could you try a search in Russian there?

The same applies for Greek. I have no problem with search in Greek in my site's SMF but in the Greek SMF support board Ελληνικά (Greek) another subboard in the same (SMF's) community forum.

Well about Agrinion now, let' see how good is your encyclopaedia or your Internet search engine  8)

gri

Quote from: agridoc on December 13, 2005, 01:47:47 AM
gri, please, the title of the message is

QuoteCan you do  a succesful search in Russian language in the Russian SMF support board gri?

I didn' t ask if SMF works OK in Russian language in general. The Russian SMF support board Русский (Russian) is a subboard in this (SMF's) community forum. Could you try a search in Russian there?

The same applies for Greek. I have no problem with search in Greek in my site's SMF but in the Greek SMF support board Ελληνικά (Greek) another subboard in the same (SMF's) community forum.
I see. Surely at the simplemachines.org SMF forum
national languages will never work correctly
because of ISO-8859-1 coding
which require 6 bytes to display one national symbol.
At the time ago [Unknown] declared
that SMF Team has no plans to install language packets
at simplemachines.org forum.
More over he mentioned that there some problems
may occur if to install additional Russian language.
I don't know neither this precaution concerns Russian only
nor what problems _namely_ a user may stumble
at the multilingual forum.

In any case for national ~minorities~
                        speaking in their native language,
simplemachines.org can be used _no more_ than..
                                          a dispatching reservation
for grivitouting to fully nationalized forums..

or multinational.

Also I understand that the developers are too busy
to support all details of various problems.

I suggest to accept the national restrictions here,
                                         at simplemachines.org,
as they are..
and to move to multilingual forums to try an attempt
      to combine different national language possibilities
      in a one forum.
Having discussed, tested and formulated how it should be
we obtain a chance to get the appropriate multilingual mods.

From a side I have installed a set of language packets there
<< http://over.lux-mundi.co.uk/night/index.php?topic=12.0

and there are problems (in particular with Greek)
which I would like to discuss.

Quote from: agridoc on December 13, 2005, 01:47:47 AM
Well about Agrinion now, let' see how good is your encyclopaedia or your Internet search engine  8)
I am sure you do not want me to speak in this topic
about the restrictions of internet connection
for the poor slaves of Russian Federation.
Let's better see _our_ encyclopaedia in multilingual forums.

agridoc

Greek language works correctly in SMF' site.

I tried to do a search in Greek by forcing UTF-8 in codepage. It goes better as it keeps the characters and doesn't convert them to #xyz but no search. There is a general problem with search in SMF lately, so I can' t tell.

I don' t know what code is behind this site (probaly UTF-8 based) but it shows Greek correctly whatever codepage I choose. This is something that doesn' t occur in my site neither in yours.

You can see russian and Greek together and many other languages.

I have seen your site and it has problems with non latin character languages. This is normal and is a result of character conflict because of the codepages used. Russian uses windows-1251 in the official translation and Greek windows-1253. Try this link http://www.tinyportal.net/smf/index.php?topic=213.20 it's from Bloc' site and has an interesting discussion. I helped there a bit Mavn, Russian too, to overcome some problems and make some sets of Russian butttons for SMF using Bloc's Button Generator and UTF-8.

It might be done with UTF-8 but its is not used much in Greek, probably neither in Russian.

Well about Agrinion now, why don' t you try a search for "Agrinion", it will be very simple to find the answer in the puzzle  ;)

agridoc

I have tested SMF in various versions and multilingual search works.

I don' t understand why it doesn' t work in this forum in SMF' s Homesite.

I don' t know if this is a result of a different method of search to minimize server stress but I think that it should be considered that the boards of Language Specific Support are gathering messages and there will be a problem without a proper search possibility.

Grudge

I'll try get Compuart to have a look at this topic.
I'm only a half geek really...

agridoc

Thank you Grudge, many wishes for a Happy New Year  :)

Advertisement: