Taking out the mods to go to 1.1rc1?

Started by Dresdan, December 12, 2005, 03:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dresdan

I have set up a test forum with the same mods and templates that I have on my regular site then upgraded it to 1.1rc1.  None of the mods worked at all.  I kind of figured this would happen.  Now I'm stuck with a forum that only has mod parts floating around in it.  I tried simply hitting the [delete] tab for each mod in the package manager then reloaded them and tried to install, I got all kinds of errors.  My question is this, do I need to manually go in and remove all the codes that these mods changed before I attempt this upgrade on my regular site?  Or is there an easier way?

xenovanis

Most files mod alter are already overwritten with the upgradefiles, so it's not very likely any code is left that is causing errors. The reason your mods will not install wih the newer version, is probably because they are not upgraded for your SMF version or you need an updated mod.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

redone

Uploading clean copies of SMF1.1rc would wipe the additional code created by the mods.

The only thing left after replacing the files would be the data enteries created in your mysql database though. To be fair most mod's do work with 1.1rc so I would be interested to hear which ones you cannot seem to use.

Dresdan

The one I had the problems with was the shop mod.   I upgraded, the forum, and the package manager still showed the two mods I had put there before the upgrade, the integrated chat mod and the shop mod.  After the upgrade niether worked, as I said I figured this would happen.  But both mods still showed as being present after the upgrade.  I uninstalled the chat mod but couldn't do the same with the shop mod as it doesn't have an uninstall.  So I deleted it, then re-uploaded both and tried to re-install the shop mod first, this is when I started getting the errors so I stopped.   This was on my test site.  So last night I went in manually and removed all traces of the shop mod from my regular forum and un-installed the chat mod.  I upgraded the forum to 1.1RC1, added Bloc's tinyportal mod, added his Amber_tp theme and re-uploaded and installed the chat mod.  All went smooth as silk, now tonight I'm going to try to re-upload the shop mod and re-install it.  I might also add that before I downloaded the integrated chat mod and the shop mod this time I made sure both versions I downloaded were compatible with 1.1RC1.  I'm hoping all goes well.  I was just hoping there was an easier way to do it then the way i did, but it's done now. 8)

redone

Generally speaking removing a mod should be as simple as just clicking the uninstall link within the package manager. Indeed, most mod's uninstall this way and everything is fine.

Sorry to hear about your problems though. If you are still having problems with the shop I suggest you post in the Shop Mod thread for support with this specific mod.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=22396.0

Dresdan

That's just the thing, the shop mod doesn't have an [uninstall], just [list files] [delete].   I've decide that my forum doesn't really need a shop after all. ;D[/list]

Advertisement: