joomla 1.0.3 and smf 1.0.5 help

Started by cylonite, December 12, 2005, 03:32:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cylonite

hey guys i need your help with my joomla ad smf bridge :(
i am using joomla 1.0.3 smf 1.0.5 bridge used is MOS_SMF_BRIDGEv3.19a_stable
there are no major problems with the bridge apart from the discussbot. i had used smf 1.1rc1 and the beta bridge too, but there also the discussbot fails.
SEF is disabled
the error is in line number 30 of smf.discussbot.php
$database->setQuery ("SELECT params FROM #__mambots WHERE element='smf.discussbot'");

it looked as though it was not properly getting data from the database. so i gave values directly in the php file and the errors stopped
$num_chars = $paramsmain->num_chars;
  $discuss_image = $paramsmain->discuss_image;
  $quote_images = $paramsmain->quote_images;
  $begin_end = $paramsmain->begin_end;
  $link_text = $paramsmain->link_text;
  $default_discuss = $paramsmain->default_discuss;
  $title_prefix = $paramsmain->title_prefix;
  $show_topic = $paramsmain->show_topic;
  $quick_reply = $paramsmain->quick_reply;
  $db_name = $paramsmain->db_name;
  $db_prefix = $paramsmain->db_prefix;
  $link_back_text = $paramsmain->link_back_text;

for the above variables, i gave values manually and it shows without no errors.

the problem arises with the discussbot. when i use it the number (0) and the text that i gave is appearing properly. but when i click the link i get an error message.
it varies from
QuoteSorry, you cannot post new topics in this board.
and
Quoteanother one that says the board is missing or i dont have acces to it etc   :o
i used the discussbot in the following two way {mos_smf_discuss: 12.0} and {mos_smf_discuss: PHPNull} where the 12.0 forum is the numeral equivalent of ASPNull
In both cases i am having no luck, but i am getting the messages quoted above. i also had an error saying
QuoteYou have already posted
but i changed some code in Security.php and now posting is possible.

there are also a few other issues apart from the discussbot.

• when i login, i get the get redirected to the wrapped forum
  • same thing happens when i logout
    • there is something wrong with the login module. initially its ok, but after i login, it shows only logout... none of the other info like number of messages etc
ps: i also have problems like in this thread http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=58756.0
Links:
Joomla: http://srijit.phpnull.net/joomla
Smf: http://srijit.phpnull.net/smf

this is my testing site so could you please signup and test the bridge completely.
thanks so much for all your help  ::)

chadness

Two things - 1) Have you gone in to the SMF login module and saved the settings (even if you don't change anything?)
2) Is guest viewing enabled in SMF?

We'll want to get rid of your other errors before working on the discussbot, as they may be causing the problems with it as well.

cylonite

ok i tweaked and saved the login component and it seems OK now..... thanks :D
for the 2nd suggestion, i deleted all categories on the forum, then created some new ones. i checked all, in the permissions checkbox ( is there anything else i should do? ) and then gave the names to the discussbot code. am getting the error
QuoteThe topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
even though i am logged in as the admin.

what am i missing?

also one more doubt. if i have my forum setup as follows
Movie Preview
----Action
----Comedy

Movie Review
----Action
----Comedy
how can i give names to the bot? if i give Action, which one will the bot take? isnt it better to go with the forum ids?

thanks for the help :D

chadness

I believe it will take the first one it finds as it's going through the database.  Yes, that would mean it would be better to use IDs.  I believe the original decision to go with board names was more for ease of use, so each end user didn't have to have explained to them how to find the forum IDs.  And, the forum names can be easily manipulated to not be duplicates (and you may not want duplicates anyways, if you have something showing "latest posts in XX forum, so people know which forum is meant by XX).  I'm not sure, this is just a hunch.  I could probably add something in allowing you to use either, but I have some major re-writing to do so it may take a bit.

OK, back to the problems.  Are Joomla and SMF installed in different databases?

cylonite

no they are on the same database. funny thing though... when i tried to install smf after i installed joomla it told me that that database user had no rights to alter, create etc. which was wrong since i gave all access rights to that database user. i solved that by installing smf first and then joomla. :)
btw smf is not inside the joomla dir, but the wrapping shows no problems.

i have created a normal user with the username/pass : test/test
if you want please try it out.
thanks

chadness

Looks like your site is down right now - you must be working on it.

I'm concerned about your need to put in values manually.  If it isn't able to grab those, it's not able to get other information it needs from the database.  I think there's something strange with your database setup, though I don't know what.  I'll wait until you are back online and see if I can figure something out by testing it.

cylonite

looks like both you and i will be waiting for some time  :( the sql server is down at that location. so iam forced to install somewhere else. my hoster will be back only after new year, but its a free 500Mb account so i cant complain :)
yes the file did not read the database, but works when i manually give values. this is true with both stable and beta bot. i got joomla 1.0.3 and smf1.1RC1 working properly, but not smf 1.0.5
one prob that i have with smf1.1 is that i dont know how to enable the quick reply for all users, but i can live with that, at least for now.
other than that great work guys and thanks. now am gonna install in another server. this is my 4th install in 2 days, so am getting the hang of it :D

chadness

Yeah, with 500 MB in a free account, you can't complain (or expect) too much.  The hosting company I use has a free plan with only 50 MB, which is probably more typical.

cylonite

yay i think i got it working perfectly, although the bridge still does not read the data from the database. i have to manually edit the php file.
site is a work in progress still but here it is : http://blockbusters.in

now if someone can tell me how to do two things
  • enable Return to topics after posting by default in Look and Layout Preferences for ALL users
  • Enable quick reply as default for ALL users
I only found instructions for smf1.0.5 not for smf 1.1.1
so can anyone help?

cylonite

ok i found it out :D
its in the reset options in current theme inside the Admin section

Advertisement: