Hide Board - Permission protect boards

Started by Leaf, December 16, 2005, 01:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leaf

Link to Mod

Written By: Xiaoqing Zhou (Leaf)
Email: [email protected]
URL: http://www.anetcity.com/bbs/index.php?board=125.0

This mod adds a 'enter_board' permission to control whether user can enter a board or not.

It checks this 'enter_board' permission when user clicks on a board link, view recent posts or view user posts in user profile.

If user doesn't have this permission, he can not enter the board that he can see.

Steps to use the mod on smf 1.1:

1. Apply the mod
2. Enable advanced by-board permissions under "Admin Panel > Permissions > Settings".
3. Switch the desired board to "Local" under "Admin Panel > Permissions > Permissions By Board".
4. Click on "Local" for the board to open the Permissions by board page for that board.
5. Click on "Modify" for the user group to open the Local permssions page for that group on that board.
6. Check/Uncheck "Enter board" option in "General" category to allow/disallow that group to enter the board.

Anakin_holland

Hmz,

If used properly, it would render the forum-password mod rather useless?

I mean, when you use a password on a forum, you need to change it regularly? So then you need to do a query using certain data, most probably a user-group. Then you're better of using this mod, because you only need to make the setting once, and there's no need for maintenance and mailings?

off-topic, don't think the topic-title is right.

Greetz!

Prasad007

This is a cool mod! Thank you for this! :)

Leaf

If you use a password to control who can enter a board, you have to maintain it. With this mod, you just need one-time permission settings. That's why I created this mod. :)

The mod name may not be correct. I just added some explanation to the tiltle of this topic.

Aly

oh i was wondering how i could set the forums so that its viewable by all but you'd have to have a certain status to go in the board ... so this mod is perfect for my needs thank you again leaf ^-^

btw... where do you go to set the permissions? I can't seem to find where it is.

Leaf

Admin->Member Controls->Edit Permissions->Global Board Permissions->General->Enter Board

The permission name is called "Enter Board".

Aly

Quote from: Leaf on December 21, 2005, 09:39:07 PM
Admin->Member Controls->Edit Permissions->Global Board Permissions->General->Enter Board

The permission name is called "Enter Board".

Hmmm is that for SMF 1.05?
I have 1.1RC1... the admin control panel is different then the 1.05... I don't have a "Global Board Permissions->General->Enter Board" I've looked in all the catagories for the enter board but i can't find it .-.;

this is what my admin panel looks like:
http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/9065/adminpanel9lg.jpg [nofollow]

and when i go under Permissions and edit by board i see this:
http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/9080/adminpanel15al.jpg [nofollow]

Leaf

In 1.1, you can find it when you modify any group: Global Board Permissions->Global->Enter Board.

If you enable by-board permissions, you can click on the board name to open the permission page for that board if that board use local permissions.

edmontonmom*com

This mod is exactly what I need , but with my extremely limited experience, I'm not too sure where to even install these files. Can you give some basic directions for me and my fellow tech no-minds? Like which folders I need and what goes where and how to install if I actually need to install after uploading the files?

I guessed that the files would go into  / public_html / forum / HideBoard /

and then when I went to the install I got the message: Fatal error: Call to undefined function: db_query() in /home/k2e2r2r2/public_html/forum/HideBoard/install.php on line 6

Then I moved the files to the Sources folder within the forum (another wild guess)
and got the message : Fatal error: Call to undefined function: db_query() in /home/k2e2r2r2/public_html/forum/Sources/HideBoard/install.php on line 6

So obviously am doing something wrong. No idea what. Nope. None. :-\

Thx,
Kerry ::)

Sheepy

Have you tried placing the mod into the Packages (or is it Package?) folder, without uncompressing it, and use package manager instead?

edmontonmom*com

Thanks a million for your response. I will try that and let you know how it goes!  :)

Leaf

Support 1.1 RC2.

edmontonmom, you need install mods from package manager in admin panel.

edmontonmom*com

Hi Leaf, thanks for the reply. Okay, I have installed the mod, apparently successfully according to my package manager, but cannot see any difference. What am I looking for, and where???
Still a bit confused, any help would be great.

Edit after using my brain for another minute or two:   OH! Is it the enter board thing? Must be. Duh. Think I've got it now. Thanks so much Leaf for the mod and the reply, and to Sheepy!
Kerry   :D

Faustus

Does the admin have to give the permission?

Would it be possible to let the user themselves give it?

I'm trying to find a way so that the more off color sections of my forum don't automatically show up unless the user wants them to.

Leaf

There is another mod to let user select what boards to be shown/hidden.

huijaa

Dovenforum Nederland -- a forum for deaf people in the Netherlands --

stargazer_1017

Ooh, I've been waiting for something like this! Does it work for 1.0.6 too?

-Shayna

MarkDalzell

Hi.... I know this is like the 10th post like this, but I can't figure out how to configure it either. I'm using 1.1RC2. I don't have any kind of "Global Board Permissions" or anything like that.  If anyone using 1.1RC2 figured it out, please post a detailed description of how you did it.... Thanks....

Mark.
hxxp:www.jerseycitymusic.com [nonactive]

Jennifer

Leaf

Quote from: MarkDalzell on March 14, 2006, 12:20:05 PM

Hi.... I know this is like the 10th post like this, but I can't figure out how to configure it either. I'm using 1.1RC2. I don't have any kind of "Global Board Permissions" or anything like that.  If anyone using 1.1RC2 figured it out, please post a detailed description of how you did it.... Thanks....

Mark.
In smf 1.1 RC2, admin panel->Members->Permissions->Permissions by Membergroup, click on the Modify link of one of the groups, then there is a checkbox added by this mod: Global Board Permissions->General->Enter board.

Advertisement: