Joomla Login Mod to SMF instructions

Started by Sickthing, December 17, 2005, 05:34:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sickthing

Please don't beat me up too bad but where the heck is the instructions for mod_smf_login_1.3.2 and mod_smf_recent_topics_1.5.1?  I downloaded them within the last couple of days but now I can't find where I got them from, nor can I find any instructions for them.

I just perused the combined readme file post for Joomla/Mambo but it APPEARS out of date?  It doesn't mention the two above mods, or if it did I missed it.  If it is up to date, I think this newbie will just go with linking to the page.  I hate to have users that signed up for the Joomla interface different from the SMF one though.

I installed the two above mods but have little idea what to do with them next.  Sorry for this stupid question but I'm a bit overwhelmed with all I've had to learn in the last couple of days.

Thanks,

Dazed and Confused. :)

Kindred

well, since the modules that come with the bridge are not numbered at all like that, I am assuming that you are using the joomlahacks version of the bridge.

The Combined Readme post is intended for Orstio's version of the bridge...  I suggest you ask over on joomlahacks.com regarding those mdules.

However, I assume you need to publish the modules and unpublish the standard joomla mod_login.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sickthing

Thanks..... That is it, but you know that.  I thought I got them from Open Source Matter's developers area on Source Forge.  Like I said, everything is running together.

I didn't understand that readme, it was mostly written for Mambo, maybe it applies equally.  But that's what through me off.

Were are the modules that you guys support?  Are they in the charter member area?  LOL  I'd like to join that but I can't right nowl  I've looked all over for them.  But I'm only through about page 8 of the mods.

Kindred

mods for SMF are not the same as mods for mambo... and none of the mambo/joomla modules are stored in thge mods area of this site...

You do not have to be a charter member to get the mambo modules...   there are links to many of them in the combined readme posts...   and  others are included with the archive of Orstio's version of the bridge (for now).

Mostly, we support Orstio's version of the bridge, which is still only available on mamboforge.

Oh... and the instructions for mambo and joomla are the same,e xcept for the extra code required for the joomla implementation of Orstio's bridge.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

laser

Sickthing, I think you did what I did first time as well : grab anything that is Joomla/SMF related and want to install the lot.  Unfortunately it doesn't work like that.  You need to pick from Orstio's work (support on this site), or cowboy's (??) work (support on joomlahacks site).

Once you've made the choice, download integration files from ONLY that site, and ask questions on ONLY that site.  Trying to cross-over between the two is just a mess.

Sickthing

Quote from: laser on December 17, 2005, 02:32:27 PM
Sickthing, I think you did what I did first time as well : grab anything that is Joomla/SMF related and want to install the lot.  Unfortunately it doesn't work like that.  You need to pick from Orstio's work (support on this site), or cowboy's (??) work (support on joomlahacks site).

Once you've made the choice, download integration files from ONLY that site, and ask questions on ONLY that site.  Trying to cross-over between the two is just a mess.

Thanks... I just got confused where I got it from.   So If I use the the other sites integration, I shouldn't use any of the things here?  I sure hope not cause I can't afford the $50.00 bucks right now.  But I surely want to add mods to the simple machines forum that are here.  I do desire to support this forum and the developers with my $50.00 a year.  I can likely do so after the first of the month and I need to make 100% sure I'm going to stick with this forum first.  I'd say the chances are real high.

I'm sorry I mentioned anything that came from some place else and I really appreciate you guys not beating up on me for doing so. 

I used that one because it was the only one I could find.  I still haven't found anything from here to integrate the two.  Is it in the support only area or am I just missing it?

Thanks!

laser

No need to pay, go here :

http://mamboforge.net/projects/mos-smf/

Then click on Files
Then choose the v.3.19a that matches your SMF version (i.e. 1.0.5 or 1.1RC1). 

I know how you feel though, I made similar (but probably worse) mistakes when I first started out - and that was only a few months ago.

Sickthing

Thanks, I've already got the other one installed and working.  I'm afraid to touch it.  But I will go look. :)

chadness

Don't worry, Sickthing, everyone is friendly, it's just that most of the people here are a little more ignorant about cowboy's version of the bridge at  joomlahacks.com.  They can help you out at the forums over there, however, and he has the modules that work with his version.

Sickthing

A friendly place on the Internet, surely you jest.  LOL  BBS tend to quickly become who is the smartest and trying to prove it.  :)  And I may not be the smartest but I've been described as one with an acid tongue.  LOL  Oddly, the person that said that never heard my voice, just my typing on a combative forum.  :)

I really don't want to change what I've done but if I'm not going to be able to use other mods from here if I keep the Joomlahacks one then I would think it is a must that I use this one.  If I could get some clarification on that, it sure would be nice.

Thanks,

Sicko

chadness

Some might be compatible, some might not be.  Depends on how much they use the bridge, and how much they just rely on SMF's SSI functions.

If you do want to switch, I would wait and upgrade to SMF 1.1 RC2 first, when Orstio will release his new version of the bridge.

Sickthing

Quote from: chadness on December 21, 2005, 09:33:14 AM
Some might be compatible, some might not be.  Depends on how much they use the bridge, and how much they just rely on SMF's SSI functions.

If you do want to switch, I would wait and upgrade to SMF 1.1 RC2 first, when Orstio will release his new version of the bridge.

It's more being afraid to switch but that's what I intended to or maybe switch with RC2.  I need to get some themes anyway.  I've not had a lot of luck with that.  I know they have to be out there.  Where? :)  Thanks for all the help!

Advertisement: