RSS Injector available

Started by confusion, December 24, 2005, 04:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vish

Thanks. I believe I have made considerable progress here. I am now able to get the script run, but the script only injected two post !!!

Is there a counter or something that is preventing this script to insert more than 2 posts?

The RSS feed that I am working with is

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/board,162.0/type,rss2/sa,news/action,.xml

I am suspecting that it might have to do with Indic Language....

Sharjeel66

Quote from: TLM on January 05, 2006, 01:03:52 AM
Google: PEAR XML RSS
hi

since im a newb..any chance of explenation?

Vish

Sharjeel66

Table 'pakecono_pp.smf_messages' doesn't exist

this is the error im getting at the moment.

Sharjeel66

realised it had wrong table titles....so updated them and it works.

:D

mua ha ah ah aha

yeeeh haww...

Sharjeel66

here is a more user friendly version...and way of presenting to noobs like me.

http://www.pakeconomist.com//Varius%20Pics/injector.rar

unzip it. (needs winrar) and then open the file news.php in wordpad and edit all the fields which need to be edited.

(upto the source of the feed)

save the file as news.php
and upload it.

then you can open the http://www.yourdomain.etc\injector\news.php

and a blank screen will come....thats it.

go to your forum and check the location you selected. if there are no names then that means you have entered the username and not the userid (which is usualy the number)

any problems...report here.

Sharjeel66

the above i am not sure will work for 1.1rc2.

it will work for 1.6 though.

it seems like the tables 1.6 creates in SQL have difrent names to the ones 1.1rc2 creates?

ill upload the version compatible with 1.1rc2 in a few hours...so hold you horses.

(word of advice to SMF coderz...standerdise!)

Edit
-----------------------------------------------
Fears are over...
But be aware. it will not work for one of the SMF versions (doent ask which)
if you have errors..post them here.

Vish

I am still not able to get this to work with UTF-8 encoding and Indic Characters...

Sharjeel66

ok what seems to be the problem? what errors are you getting?

Vish

no errors, it is just not working...

Grandnegis

I downloaded the injector.rar file.  I there a step by step how to set this up.  I get I have to configure the php files and place them on my server but how do I pull it into a forum topic.  If someone can right a from scratch step by step in laymans terms it would be much appreciated.

Vish

I think I was able to get it to work just fine. What I mean is that the script is not working for UNICODE characters....

In my case the RSS I have that I want to inject has Hindi/Sanskrit/Malyalam charachters. This injector does not insert them....It does insert the other until it found the UNICODE charachter I believe.

This is what I was able to accomplish

http://www.joomlaindia.org/test/smf/

The RSS is from this board...

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php?board=162.0

Sharjeel66

aah.

the script i doent think is able to handle those characters.

Sharjeel66

Quote from: Grandnegis on February 22, 2006, 06:26:30 AM
I downloaded the injector.rar file.  I there a step by step how to set this up.  I get I have to configure the php files and place them on my server but how do I pull it into a forum topic.  If someone can right a from scratch step by step in laymans terms it would be much appreciated.
the injector reads the feed and inserts the articles seperatly in the apropriate table in the SQL. so they just APPEAR in your forum. you doent have to set up anything on your forum how ever to get the script to work automaticly you might have to set up a cron job which executes the script automaticly after every 20 minutes as i have set it. you doent have to set up any thing else..just the things the writer of the script asks. but the writer did not include certain files which are required for the script to function properly so i thought it would be helpfull to include those in aswell and sort the script out so it works out of the box.

(the script will have to executed...ie visit the url the script is @ and it will come up with a blank page...but would have done its job.)

Grandnegis

ok I am getting this error;

Warning: main(PEAR.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /client/home/iamwhistler/docs/forums/injector/Parser.php on line 39

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'PEAR.php' (include_path='.:/php_includes') in /client/home/iamwhistler/docs/forums/injector/Parser.php on line 39

What is PEAR.php????

Sharjeel66

i think it should work if you rename the RSS.php to PEAR.php

if that does not work then open the Parser.php in a editing program (dreamweaver or anything else with search function)

and search for "PEAR.php" and replace it with "RSS.php"

this would tell the parser to look for RSS.php and not PEAR.php which does not exist.

Grandnegis

Now I get this error;

Fatal error: Class xml_rss: Cannot inherit from undefined class xml_parser in /client/home/iamwhistler/docs/forums/injector/PEAR.php on line 36

AND if I change it to RSS I get an error on line 96 in the php file.  I will jsut wait I am working on a different way of doing this anyway using a portal program combined with SMF.

Xarcell

@ Sharjeel66

It doesn't seem to work for me...
---------------
Runnin 1.1RC2.

I downloaded the injector.

I edited the news.php file. Filled in my HOSTNAME, USERNAME, PASSWD, and DATABASE.

USERID = 4
BOARDID = 35
(also tried 1 and 1)

I inserted the feed url: http://rss.gamespot.com/misc/rss/gamespot_updates_xbox_360.xml

Uploaded to root directory of SMF.

I run the news.php file: http://xboxnarc.com/injector/news.php  (blank page)

Nothing as appeared in my forum. What am I doing wrong? Did I miss something?

TechnoDragon

ok...got a new one:

My host uses a format for the databases of USERNAME_DB, where username is my username for the host and DB is the name of the Database (in this case SMF)

So I filled out the news feed so:

define("DB_HOSTNAME","webhost.com"); //Insert your DB server name here
define("DB_USERNAME","USERNAME_smf"); //DB username here
define("DB_PASSWD","********"); // DB password here
define("DB_DATABASE","smf"); //DB name here
$userid = 17; //Set this to the SMF userid you want the messages posted from
$boardid = 35;//Set this to the id of the board you want to post the messages in

this returns an error that it cannot connect to the database, so I changed the Database to USERNAME_smf, and then it says it cannot find the USERNAME_smf_messages table.

The problem is the literal nature of the above info...of course the database doesn't exist...but if I try to trick it by just putting the SMF part, then access is denied because it tries to connect to a database that doesn't exist...any ideas how to fix it?
Don't tell me to get into shape...I have a shape...It is round!

TechnoDragon

Update...I see what the problem is but I cannot figure out how to fix it...when it goes to select the database, instead of selecting technodrag_smf_messages, it is trying to select technodrag_smf._messages.

Why is it inserting that period and how do I make it stop?

Update...got it figured out...now...how do I make it show all of these posts as new...currently they show as read posts and how is it going to attract attention from memebers if they all show as read?
Don't tell me to get into shape...I have a shape...It is round!

Advertisement: