RSS Injector available

Started by confusion, December 24, 2005, 04:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niteblade

Quote from: TLM on July 25, 2006, 12:26:57 AM
Right now I am shooting for a triple release this coming weekend.

1) Modifications mod, adds a new menu section to admin area for larger mods that outgrow what features and options can offer, (Google Member Map, RSS Injector, and I know of 1 more that would use this)

2) RSS Injector, 0.01, wont be very polished, but functional, just solved a bug thats been plauging me for a while, :)

3) Google Member Map, complete re-write on it to APIv2 and hopefully a couple of new features...

I shall applaud you if this works without anyone getting hurt. :P
affiliate blog

Gosu Schwarz

1) Modifications mod, adds a new menu section to admin area for larger mods that outgrow what features and options can offer, (Google Member Map, RSS Injector, and I know of 1 more that would use this)

2) RSS Injector, 0.01, wont be very polished, but functional, just solved a bug thats been plauging me for a while, :)

3) Google Member Map, complete re-write on it to APIv2 and hopefully a couple of new features...
Well once it is released I will be glad to test it. :)

haktanir2

awesome!

lordmenace

Please do.

Alan G

I'd just like to say thanks for this, i've got the early version up and working and had pretty much no problems with it at all.

To give you some context this is what i'm doing:

I have a news / culture site (http://www.leftlion.co.uk) which has an rss feed for latest articles.  it's actually built in CFM but we use smf for the forum part of the site (http://www.leftlion.co.uk/forum).

At present there is a seperate article comments section on the main site, but i'd like to pull that out and use smf for comments.  So i'm now running the injector to pull new articles into an  article comments board (http://www.nottinghamculture.co.uk/leftlion/index.php?board=13.0).

That's all working fine.  However if i want to remove the current article comments system i need a way of linking from the article  to the topic in the comments board. 

So the process would ideally be:

• A new article goes live on the site.
  • An xml file is created alongside the article which gets passed to the injector and inserted into smf
  • I then want to insert the topic id into the articles database so i can link to it from the article

How would i go about editing the injector to insert the new topic id into the articles database (they are both mysql db's on the same server).  is it just a case of locking the db and doing a select max? That doesn't seem very robust to me...

Any help / advise would be massively appreciated!

regards and thanks,
Alan

Alan G

No matter, i figured out how to do it.  very straightforward in the end. i canexplain how i did it if anyone is interested.

TLM

Lemme guess,
Post new topic in the forum and use ssi_news ssi_boardNews (I think thats what it is) and display from the forum directly on the front page? In the end you have a artical in the forum and on the front page, and the front page you can setup to have # comments link along with add comment.

Ben_S

I'm deffo interested when you get this done, having looked at the first one posted in this topic, I'm not entirely sure it's suitable for a board with 2.1 million posts.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Harro

Looking forward to this aswell!
Just read an article about the advantages of RSS feeds on your site ;)

lordmenace

When is the mod version  coming out. He keeps saying "in a week". Also, I want to make a forum posts automatically after I make an update on my site. This is possible, but it is annoying. Is it possible to stop the bot from posting the liunk to the original article? It is double linking, one made by me and the other made by it.

o_1281

In the meantime can someone please explain how I can que these up into a db, have it filter by keywords and then post only the postings that have those keywords in the sentences.

jkrlvgn

Quote from: TLM on July 11, 2006, 09:56:28 AM
Quote from: nite0859 on June 30, 2006, 07:42:54 PM
Quote from: micksawyer on June 13, 2006, 03:30:47 PM
If you are really interested in it put up some cash to incentivise a developer.
I am sure if you offer $1000 somone will do it.

It's already done. I've seen it in action and it works wonderfully and elegantly. But the code author, *cough* , is really, really busy. Perhaps he should release it as an unfinished mod and let someone else pick up where he left off. *shrug*

I keep on sacrificing goats, but it doesn't help. I've tried financial bribery, and he won't be bribed. I've offered beer, women, and cigarettes, but still, all to no avail.
Women! You did not offer such thing!

For those complaining about how this mod has to have seperate news files, mine does not, it stores in the DB, and no real settings to edit as long as your forum sql data is right.

I might get to this hidden project of mine this weekend, maybe.
For those interested in seeing its progress, just lacking admin interface and packaging...
http://www.mindlesstux.com/forums/index.php?board=14.0

....maybe without the packaging?  I'm itching to get it myself....

lordmenace

I guess the dev decided to keep it all for himself...

jkrlvgn

Oh, I seriously doubt he's keeping just for himself.  More than likely "it'll be done by this weekend, probably" is what he expects, and then life comes in and screws up the schedule.  I can wait.

The other injector, if you HAVE TO have one right now, works....but...like it's been said, it takes a little to set it up.  I got it working, so....it can't be too hard.

TLM, love your other mods!  This one's gonna be freakin' huge when it's done.

TLM

Quote from: jkrlvgn on August 06, 2006, 09:20:23 AM
Oh, I seriously doubt he's keeping just for himself.  More than likely "it'll be done by this weekend, probably" is what he expects, and then life comes in and screws up the schedule.  I can wait.
We have a winner folks....  This really comes into effect when preping to move about 350mi...

Quote from: jkrlvgn on August 06, 2006, 09:20:23 AM
TLM, love your other mods!  This one's gonna be freakin' huge when it's done.

Xarcell

Note to others:

the more you annoying him with it, the less motivated he's gonna be to do it.

lordmenace

Quote from: Xarcell on August 07, 2006, 09:32:13 AM
Note to others:

the more you annoying him with it, the less motivated he's gonna be to do it.

Oh..I thought it usually worked the opposite.

Cool Surfer

Quote from: Sharjeel66 on February 04, 2006, 11:06:52 PM
here is a more user friendly version...and way of presenting to noobs like me.

http://www.pakeconomist.com//Varius%20Pics/injector.rar

unzip it. (needs winrar) and then open the file news.php in wordpad and edit all the fields which need to be edited.

(upto the source of the feed)

save the file as news.php
and upload it.

then you can open the http://www.yourdomain.etc\injector\news.php

and a blank screen will come....thats it.

go to your forum and check the location you selected. if there are no names then that means you have entered the username and not the userid (which is usualy the number)

any problems...report here.

I think problem with account. Pl check.
www.xpindia.com ; www.onlinemedicalforum.com/smf 

Be Kind And courteous To People On Your Way Up
For You Might Meet Them On Your Way Down...

starrbuck

Quote from: Cool Surfer on August 07, 2006, 04:20:54 PMI think problem with account. Pl check.

This probably means they either didn't pay the bill or are over their bandwidth limit.

Advertisement: