News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Spell Checker

Started by ML, December 26, 2005, 02:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ML

Why can't a spell checker be built into the code so that people would not be having so much trouble with it?

My host uninstalled the spell checker on their servers because they SAID it was bogging them down.

If the spell checker was installed along with the other stuff for the forum, I would not be sitting around scratching my head wondering how to make the freaking thing work.  >:(

Those who say that something cannot be done should get out of the way of those who are willing to try.

Elmacik

SMF has a spell checker built in anyway.
Admin -> Posts and Topics -> Enable spell checking

Edit: Sorry I misunderstood.. This is not the case.
Home of Elmacik

JayBachatero

Elmacik that's not the problem.  He is asking for an alternative spellchecking method since his host uninstalled pspell.

-JayBachatero
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

Ben_S

Quote from: micklail on December 26, 2005, 02:23:52 PM
My host uninstalled the spell checker on their servers because they SAID it was bogging them down.

Ask them in what way it was "bogging" their servers down.

Ask them for the figures that prove it, aspell / pspell cannot bog a server down, well unless someone is trying to do a spell check every 1 second for hours and hours. ::)
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Skhilled

I agree. pspell is used widely by a lot of hosting services but I've never heard complaints about high server loads because of it.

Dresdan

Ive checked with three hosts now that don't use it.  I must agree, if it were  coded in or an add on such as a mod it would be much better.  Those of use that have hosting that doesn't support it are just out of luck.

Skhilled

LOL, love that avatar of the cat!  ;)

Dannii

Spellchecking code is very long and complex, and I doubt a developer of SMF would want to, and there are probably few members who have the skills to use one. It's unfortunate if your host won't allow you to use it, but hey, it will encourage people to spell correctly by themselves!
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

JayBachatero

I find this to be a good idea though.  I have proposed this for 1.2/2.0.  Two spell check functions.  One server powered and another browser powered like vB does it.

-JayBachatero
Follow me on Twitter

ML

Quote from: 'eldacar' on December 26, 2005, 10:16:18 PM
it will encourage people to spell correctly by themselves!

Knowing how to spell is not the issue: Typos is the problem with most people when it comes to spelling. I type fast and use the spell checker to find my typos.

Plus there is the occasional word that I have no idea how to spell.  :D

I wonder if there is any way that the forum could be coded so that the spell checker would default to the USERS spell checker on HIS OWN computer? Now that would solve everything.

Those who say that something cannot be done should get out of the way of those who are willing to try.

Oldiesmann

Quote from: micklail on January 01, 2006, 01:41:05 PM

Knowing how to spell is not the issue: Typos is the problem with most people when it comes to spelling. I type fast and use the spell checker to find my typos.

I wonder if there is any way that the forum could be coded so that the spell checker would default to the USERS spell checker on HIS OWN computer? Now that would solve everything.

No it wouldn't, because we'd have to code it for at least three different operating systems (Windows, Linux/Unix and Mac OS X), and there's no guarantee that it would be in the same location on every person's computer for a particular operating system...
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

ML

So, if that were the only problem, we could all install a spell checker to a place on our computers that the forum would know where to go to. There is a spell checker that I found to use with my Outlook Express on one of my machines. I have to use it because I don't have any of the M.S.Office stuff installed on it.

Couldn't someone (have to be someone a whole lot smarter than me  :D ) make a spell checker that we could install ANYWHERE on our computers to use specifically with this type of forum?

Just curious and throwing out ideas here. I appreciate the responses.

Dean Williams

Quote from: Oldiesmann on January 01, 2006, 03:34:49 PM
Quote from: micklail on January 01, 2006, 01:41:05 PM

No it wouldn't, because we'd have to code it for at least three different operating systems (Windows, Linux/Unix and Mac OS X), and there's no guarantee that it would be in the same location on every person's computer for a particular operating system...

Well windows (dunno bout other OS's) have a magical place called a registry :D where the locations to such programs are stored!!

Yes :o its true!!

But yeah, you would have to code it to try and use several programs from several operating systems, and even if you do manage that there still could be errors, although I would have the user set a path to a spell checker in his/her own profile... But then how would it work :p

We will probably just go around in circles so i guess a uniform program is the best idea, something in PHP or ASP (not evveryone has ASP though) maybe someone could integrate a already developed system into SMF?

Albaraha

Is the spell checker a plugin in SMF or not?
Can we add another languages checkers?

lsmaster

Where can I get the spell checker pakage?

JayBachatero

Albaraha you can ask your host to install other dictionaries/languages for you.

lsmaster you need to have it enabled and your host MUST have aspell with a dictionary installed.
Follow me on Twitter

lsmaster

And where can I get all this?

JayBachatero

Follow me on Twitter

JayBachatero

Your host does not have aspell installed.  Asked if they can install aspell for you with the english dictionary.
Follow me on Twitter

lsmaster

Any way of me, myself doing it?

JayBachatero

Only if you have a dedicated server.  If you don't then your host has to install it.
Follow me on Twitter

ML

Well, this has been a long time coming. I found a little thing called ieSpell that works in I.E. Once it is installed, it can be used to check the spelling on anything typed into a form through Internet Explorer.

It says that it is free for individual use and it seems to be working great.

H

-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

ML

As stated, the hosting company I am on does not have a Spell Check on their servers. After contacting them withing the last day or two, I learned they STILL do not have a Spell Check and apparently do not have any intention on putting it on their servers.

The little ieSpell program works great. You just finish what you are typing and right click in the form box you are typing in and there it is! It looks like a M.W. spell checker.

Also note that the site that I downloaded it from says that it is FREE for individual use.

The good thing about this little thing is that it works in any form that you are typing in on the web through Internet Explorer.

A great little program in my opinion.

It would be nice if my hosting company had the spell check thing, but they don't. So this is a really good solution.

Advertisement: