News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMF 1.1 Release Candidate 2 is available!

Started by Grudge, December 29, 2005, 04:53:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobo

Quote from: Killer Possum on May 05, 2006, 10:24:09 AM
As it's been said before...

We cannot make and estimations as to when it will be released. It is nearly impossible for a developer to make a quality product while feeling pressed for time because an estimated time was given.

However, we are feature frozen and only bug hunting now so RC2 is what the final product will be, just without the bugs ;)

noooo u mean there wont be any new features ? :(

oh well :D im happy either ways lol

Skipdawg

I wonder if since it is just bug fixes being done if the upgrade from 1.1 RC2 to Final will be small enough to be done via the package manager. That would be so very KEWL!  ;D 8) ;)
Skipdawg's Community

Powered by SMF 1.1.3

JayBachatero

Too many files will be changes to make it in the form of a mod.  It will be a regular upgrade just like you upgrade 1.0 - 1.1.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

roxpace

We cannot make and estimations as to when it will be released. It is nearly impossible for a developer to make a quality product while feeling pressed for time because an estimated time was given.

However, we are feature frozen and only bug hunting now so RC2 is what the final product will be, just without the bugs ;)

I coder shall have pressure, I am self a long time developer, well since mid eighties and I do work better and faster under pressure, but only if I can have a finger in the timeplan for the whole thing.

Thanks anyway for the information that this release is what the final will be but without bugs.

Another small question, why not be satisfied with you have except known nasty stability, performance and security. Release it with the minor bugs, youy can anyway never release anything completely without bugs, if you do that I will worship you forever :)

Always keep an eye on the latest from me at ...
http://www.jump-gate.com/

JshLnsctt

Quote from: roxpace on May 05, 2006, 06:50:55 PM

I coder shall have pressure, I am self a long time developer, well since mid eighties and I do work better and faster under pressure, but only if I can have a finger in the timeplan for the whole thing.

Thanks anyway for the information that this release is what the final will be but without bugs.

Another small question, why not be satisfied with you have except known nasty stability, performance and security. Release it with the minor bugs, youy can anyway never release anything completely without bugs, if you do that I will worship you forever :)

Why would they release it knowing there are bugs in it?

Killer Possum

We know there will be bugs in it, but we are trying to squash as many as we can before release. That's all ;)

Skipdawg

Squashing bugs yuk! just be sure to clean up afterwards!  ;D 8) ;)
Skipdawg's Community

Powered by SMF 1.1.3

winrules

Quote from: Skipdawg on May 05, 2006, 10:52:18 PM
Squashing bugs yuk! just be sure to clean up afterwards!  ;D 8) ;)
that's what the site team is for :P

winrules
SMF Developer

My Mods
Please do not PM me for support.

lbyard

I know this is taboo, but can you-all give us some sort of ballpark idea when 1.1 will be released.  That would help people like me plan things a little better.  We have been waiting a long time for 1.1 (I do not normally install 1.0 of anything).  I am still running YAABSE and do not want to upgrade it now if 1.1 is just around the corner.  On the other hand, I do not want to wait until the last couple of days of 2006, which seems to be the one thing that is reasonably predictable about the forum's software development process.  Cordially, Larry

Deaks

there is no release date set for SMF 1.1 they are a few bugs that needed sorted then they will most likely release.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Skipdawg

Quote from: lbyard on May 06, 2006, 01:49:48 PM
I know this is taboo, but can you-all give us some sort of ballpark idea when 1.1 will be released.  That would help people like me plan things a little better.  We have been waiting a long time for 1.1 (I do not normally install 1.0 of anything).  I am still running YAABSE and do not want to upgrade it now if 1.1 is just around the corner.  On the other hand, I do not want to wait until the last couple of days of 2006, which seems to be the one thing that is reasonably predictable about the forum's software development process.  Cordially, Larry

See here also. http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=85363.0 The question is asked all the time.  ;)
Skipdawg's Community

Powered by SMF 1.1.3

lbyard

mrloo2k4

I already installed SMF 1.0.7, how can i change or update to the latest version which is SMF 1.1 RC2?

one important question is, can I still use the categories/board and the post that's in my current forum.  Sort of just updating the version but same contents.

please advice.

thanks for any help I can get.

Deaks

Quote from: mrloo2k4 on May 08, 2006, 10:57:29 PM
I already installed SMF 1.0.7, how can i change or update to the latest version which is SMF 1.1 RC2?

one important question is, can I still use the categories/board and the post that's in my current forum.  Sort of just updating the version but same contents.

please advice.

thanks for any help I can get.

yes you can keep all your board categories etc however due to the new coding you will need to use the updated mods and a theme (unless you us the default) that is RC2 compatable none of the 1.0.7 themes will work fully in RC2
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Killer Possum

Sloopz, I removed the link, try not to post link directly to the files but rather the downloads section. :)

Mrloo you can find all the upgrade packages here: http://www.simplemachines.org/download/

Deaks

Quote from: Killer Possum on May 09, 2006, 01:57:46 PM
Sloopz, I removed the link, try not to post link directly to the files but rather the downloads section. :)

Mrloo you can find all the upgrade packages here: http://www.simplemachines.org/download/
sorry :)

Ill member in future (at that you could have changed the link :p )
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

iyeru42

Quote from: Killer Possum on May 09, 2006, 01:57:46 PM

It's too bad we can't use the transload feature to get those update packages without having to download and re-upload ourselves.

saadahmed007

Quote from: Grudge on December 29, 2005, 04:53:27 AM
Simple Machines is proud to announce the release of SMF 1.1 RC2, the second (and final) release candidate for SMF 1.1, this New Years Eve.

There are numerous changes from the preceding Release Candidate 1.1 RC1 including the release of the new default "Core" theme. This theme introduces a whole new look to SMF, using tabs for the navigation making it look original and easier to translate to other languages. The previous default theme and the classic theme are still both included in this release. The old default theme has been named back to its original name "babylon" and the classic theme stays the same.

Some of the other notable changes in this release are:

• AJAX editing

• Edit a post without page reloads
    • Double click to edit topic subjects on message index (Need quick moderation enabled)
  • Added new search features including

• Search within a topic
    • Search within personal messages
    • Search participation levels are now shown
    • A new feature to create a custom index for searching messages, and more.
  • Most Online Today and Most Online Ever has been added to the Info Center.

But there were also numerous bugfixes including:

• Package manager bug was fixed.
  • Deleting empty categories bug fixed

To ensure the most optimal preformance the following changes were made:

• Optimised the tables for holding "topic read" information
  • The search engine was rewritten to better accommodate the fulltext and custom indexes
  • Added cache support interface in admin panel where you can activate different accelerators.
  • Made it much easier to integrate SMF with other software.
  • Help files converted to template and language strings.
  • Ensured SMF is MySQL STRICT compatible.
  • The copyright text is now one line only.
  • Added a Private Messages link to the menu.

Installing/Upgrading information
Upgrading from your current version of SMF to the latest version could not be simpler, just follow the standard procedure of executing upgrade.php.  But, please remember to make a backup!!  The upgrader will upgrade any installation from YaBB SE 1.5.5 all the way up to the latest version of SMF.  You can always find information posted here about things like installation, upgrade, and more.

Users with large boards
This release has huge optimizations in the log table structure to reduce the ongoing operating load on your server. However, to achieve this saving the upgrade has a lot of work to do - which for boards with more than 75,000 posts may take quite some time. Please bear this in mind during the upgrade - try to do it at a quiet time if at all possible. In most cases, it will take up to an hour to upgrade, but it could take several. Remember, the script has timeout protection and auto resume - so just get it started and leave it to do its job. We've added progress bars to the upgrade script to help give you an indication of how things are going!

Theme Authors
There have been a few theme alterations with the arrival of the new default theme. If you are having any problems with existing themes then read the topic theme alterations in RC2.

Attention
While we are confident that there are no major problems with this release, we want to remind you that it is still not to be considered stable software. We do not recommend its use in "live" situations and if you are not comfortable with using this Release Candidate we advise you to wait until the release of the final version before using the 1.1 line.

Download SMF1.1 Release Candidate 2

Thanks,
Simple Machines
WOW Keep up the good work

roxpace

I cant agree with you on that list, not wow for AJAX and even more Javascript garbage, it would be wonderful if the default SMF could be completely without Javascript to be most compatible and fast. Javascript is often disabled on company networks, and there is often troubles with it for people who doesnt know how to use their settings. Also Javascript mostly only creates longer download times, a page without graphics shall never be bigger than 30 Kb. AJAX itself offers nice features, but it's more hype than realistic worth so much attention due to Javascript role in the company spheres.
Always keep an eye on the latest from me at ...
http://www.jump-gate.com/

Daemonist

Tried to upgrade the Calendar.php file to the 1.1RC2-1 version, but all the download arcives seem to have the 1.1RC2 version.

Where is the file?  I must be blind.

Advertisement: