News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Wordpress Bridge - SMFBridge

Started by kaos1409, December 29, 2005, 06:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaos1409

I've started work on a Wordpress plugin for SMF that will function as follows:

When you try to login from Wordpress, the script checks your wordpress login, if the user isn't in the database, it checks the SMF database using smf_api, if the user authenticates from there, that user is created in the wordpress users table, logged in with wordpress cookies and SMF cookies and ready to go to either the wordpress blog or SMF.

Following that, I'll develop a plugin for the SMF-side of the equation that will work similar magic on the SMF side in terms of authenticating against wordpress if the user doesn't exist in the SMF table, creating the SMF user in the wordpress database, setting the wordpress cookies and and we should be good to go.

If anyone would like to help out, please let me know, I'm having some trouble getting smf_api.php to work properly in Wordpress, it seems after its included, if any of its functions are called, I get a blank Wordpress screen.

Download the *not yet working* plugin file for Wordpress at http://www.christaggart.com/smf-wordpress-integration/ [nofollow]

vixx

Well, I don't have the knowledge to help get this plugin working, but I just wanna say thanks for developing it, it's what wordpress-smf users are waiting for a long time. :)
stufftastic - [nofollow]

beerconsumer

I wish I could help, but I don't know jack about all that coding stuff...

I can't wait for you to finisgsh it though....good luck!

pran

Nice project. Personally, I'd like to see the SMF calendar displayed on the Wordpress blog  ;)

StormFire

has this got any further? all it says when trying the code you have got and putting it into pluggable functions is that it comes back with there is no user found...

Is it because of the smf using sha1?? or is there another problem

Fiery

Just wondering the status... many of us our looking for something like this.

thanks

Skipdawg

Like the concept of this idea. Bridging the SMF forum and Wordpress blog would be awesome.
I really like both. I discontinued using wordpress just for not being able to figure out how to get them to play nice together. lol  ;D 8) ;)
Skipdawg's Community

Powered by SMF 1.1.3

imageek

I am very interested in this also.

Luke

Lunabyte Systems has it for Enigma 2.

www.lunabyte.net

SNaRe

i was waiting for that for a long time wordpres and smf . they are the best. i will wait your plugin

Luke

Quote from: Luke on April 05, 2006, 11:02:21 PM
Lunabyte Systems has it for Enigma 2.

www.lunabyte.net

Enigma2 uses SMF <cough cough>

Screenshots of WP are available in our gallery.
http://www.lunabyte.net/gallery/

theslam2006

^^Be worth using it if it had more then 2 modules for it.....its VERY lightweight. Get more support for it and it might be worth the use.

Luke

We're working on it.

It's either code the core, or code mods and modules.

With a little breather waiting on bug reports in the latest release, we'll see what we can come up with.

And, for the record, there' more than 2.

WordPress, Coppermine, Gallery2, Uploads, A handy button maker (nice for themes, saves a TON of time)...

Not to mention, all the stuff that's already standard.

Also, with the ability to add  blocks in html or php, as with pages...
There's plenty to play with to get started.

;)

theslam2006

I see. Sorry, 5 extras. You are right, there are alot of standard otions there....

But, I also read that you dont support "RC" builds...ie. 1.1RC1/2. I cant use that now because there is no porter for IPB2.1 to SMF 1.07...soo on my personal speaking, I cant use Enigma2.

But yes, keep adding stuff, making more modules, support, and updating it to be better, and I can see it will be a great portal.

Luke

Yeah, it's tough to keep up with.

If it were through a bridge, then it would be different.
But, since the approch with this version is seamless integration,
we have to be careful with it.

Not to mention since it's a complete rewrite of the original Enigma (1.x),
we had to draw a line somewhere to start. Once the core is optimized, and
all the little kinks worked out, RC support for future SMF versions will most
likely be supported.

It is being worked on, though, for 2.1, but there isn't any timeframe set in
stone yet. It won't be 8 months from now, but it won't be tomorrow either.

As for mods, that's kind of a funny story really.

Being similar to any other project out there, dev's come and go.

As it is now, the dev team is basically the old mod team from 3 or 4 years ago, and as we all moved up, nobody's filled in the void.

Funny how things like that happen.

But, at least on a positive note, SMF mods still work, so there's still something at least.

;)

rdhr

are you still working on this bridge?
I realy like to see a forum bridge for wordpress, the only available i know is a bridge for vbuletin  :-[

Zenigata

Any news? I'd like to share only users.

marcmesa

A beta wordpress plugin has been released a few days ago. In the next days/weeks i will give it a try.
More info at hxxp:www.dmry.net/wordpress-smf-bridge-plugin-10-beta/ [nonactive]

floating

Quote from: marcmesa on August 08, 2006, 08:26:11 PM
A beta wordpress plugin has been released a few days ago. In the next days/weeks i will give it a try.
More info at http://www.dmry.net/wordpress-smf-bridge-plugin-10-beta/

can anyone help me how to put this plugin in work? i have done all the things that are required but i dont know where to puth the command :

SMF_EnSonMesajlar($limit=10,$before_all,$before_message,$after_message,$after_all)

Thnx in advance

rockgeek

I'd like to scrap/convert my current comments system on wordpress with SMF.

I have wordpress installed and I have SMF installed. Wordpress has a few comments on a few posts.

Ideal Situation: Everytime I added a post to Wordpress, a new topic within a designated board is created. Everytime someone adds a comment to the wordpress post, a comment is shown on wordpress and is registered as a reply to the topic post. Also everytime someone responds in the forum, this is shown on the main wordpress site. All my current posts and comments would be automatically converted over.

Next best thing: The above but without current posts and comments being thrown over.

Is there anythout out there that could help with what I'm trying to achieve?

Thanks!

JJ

clarkkent93

Quote from: kaos1409 on December 29, 2005, 06:53:13 PM

When you try to login from Wordpress, the script checks your wordpress login, if the user isn't in the database, it checks the SMF database using smf_api, if the user authenticates from there, that user is created in the wordpress users table, logged in with wordpress cookies and SMF cookies and ready to go to either the wordpress blog or SMF.

Following that, I'll develop a plugin for the SMF-side of the equation that will work similar magic on the SMF side in terms of authenticating against wordpress if the user doesn't exist in the SMF table, creating the SMF user in the wordpress database, setting the wordpress cookies and and we should be good to go.

If anyone would like to help out, please let me know, I'm having some trouble getting smf_api.php to work properly in Wordpress, it seems after its included, if any of its functions are called, I get a blank Wordpress screen.

Download the *not yet working* plugin file for Wordpress at http://www.christaggart.com/smf-wordpress-integration/

What's the status of this plugin?  I noticed that it's downloadable but is it workable?

Thanks!
SMF 1.1.6

rockgeek

Managed to integrate the two as I wanted now...

http://www.strictlyreading.co.uk/ - please can some test it  :P

Leave a comment to any of the posts please!

Fiery

Quote from: rockgeek on November 13, 2006, 04:25:01 PM
Managed to integrate the two as I wanted now...

http://www.strictlyreading.co.uk/ - please can some test it  :P

Leave a comment to any of the posts please!

I dont think the correct username is coming up.

clarkkent93

Download the *not yet working* plugin file for Wordpress at http://www.christaggart.com/smf-wordpress-integration/

are you still working on this?
SMF 1.1.6

rockgeek

I have fixed it!

I stupidly set the guest username as "wordpress" only to register a member as "wordpress" and therefore the script wouldn't submit the form due to it seeing there was already someone called wordpress!

Should be ok now - he says hopefully!

JJ

clarkkent93

I really want to use SMF with my WordPress site that I'm testing right now.  I'm just hoping that the users that I already have located in SMF will be pulled into WordPress.

Is this even going to be a possibility in the near future?  I just don't want to have to go through the hassle of using another forum such as RS-Discuss since SMF beats it hands-down!  I'm just trying to keep it easy for my members.
SMF 1.1.6

elwebdude

Quote from: rockgeek on November 14, 2006, 03:05:04 AM
I have fixed it!

I stupidly set the guest username as "wordpress" only to register a member as "wordpress" and therefore the script wouldn't submit the form due to it seeing there was already someone called wordpress!

Should be ok now - he says hopefully!

JJ

rockgeek, Where can I download your code? I'll test :-)

rockgeek

Sorry for the delay!

What versions are you using of each software? Drop me an email rockgeek at strictlyreading dot co dot uk!

Thanks!

Minder

Can't you just put the code for several versions?
Let's say we're using latest WP and latest (1.1) SMF

RayCRP

Is kaos1409 still working on this? The LunarByte one doesn't quite do all I want it to do (which isn't a lot), but this one seems like it does...

Regardless, does anyone know if this or any other WordPress/SMF bridge can "sync" users after the site's been in use? For example, say I'm launching a site soon, and can't wait for kaos1409 to magically come back. Could I launch the site, have people register on our WordPress, and then using this bridge, or any other bridge, sync it later on when I apply the bridge, so all the WordPress accounts have respective SMF accounts created and linked?

I'd really like for this bridge to be finished, but I can't wait for that to happen to launch my site...

Mr. Doug

I think there are a lot of people that COULD make this mod...but don't have the time. That's how it is with a lot of free software. YOu usually have to rely on College kids that have a lot of free time to do them for a school project, or a resume.

That said...I'm waiting for it too.
--
Doug Hardman
doug (at) puttertalk (dot) com

rockgeek

rockgeek

Right - sorry for the delay. if anyone is interested havea  look at my Reading Festival 2007 site

It works well and I have had to tweak some stuff. I don't really post many things in wordpress - maybe 2/3 a day so some stuff is manual.

If I were to be honest, I regret the integration as seperate entities would have been much better but there ya go!

aglioeolio

http://www.strictlyreading.co.uk/

rockgeek I didnt find where it is integrated there ???

offtopic:
Did you removed the Copyright/link to SMF LLC in Forum?  >:(

rockgeek

Add a reply to a blog thingy - it adds it to the forum. The forums acts as the place comments are held.

SMdot™

Quote from: marcmesa on August 08, 2006, 08:26:11 PM
More info at http://www.dmry.net/wordpress-smf-bridge-plugin-10-beta/

does anyone know of an existing stable SMF to Wordpress mod... I want wordpress to show up in smf not the other way around... if anyone knows how to make a wrapper (? called that in joomla) anyways that would be great.

perplexed

I would be interested to know if this particular bridge by the thread starter is being worked on/finished/working etc

I don't want one connected to another portal, thanks

Also there seems to be issues with the other bridge, so it is this one I am interested in

any updates?

His blog is here http://www.christaggart.com/smf-wordpress-integration/

RoarinRow

This is something I would be interested in too.  Hate having to have two separate member databases   :o

SMF 2.0
TP 1.0 RC1.1
Wordpress 3.1.3

jjgallow

I've been working on DMRY's wordpress plugin (smf bridge), and you can definitely use the same user database with it.

Personally, I'd want SMF and Wordpress to each have their own database, and you can do that with it too.  It simply registers/modifies users into both databases.

Either way, I've removed many of the bugs and added an admin panel to configure the plugin from.

You can get it here:
http://www.earthorbit.com/opensource/

And original author's site here:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=161671.0

It works really well registering and modifying users From wordpress to SMF.

It does not work from smf to wordpress, although I am not sure this is always necessary.  It is quite easy to simply disable forum registration, and direct everyone to the wordpress registration.

In any case, please do let me know how the plugin works for you.  I would like to get it to the point of being "stable", and I think it is close.

Once there, by all means, I would like to work on more features such as:

- an SMF plugin to work back to wordpress,
- a user-database converter so those with working sites can switch to it ( I definitely want it stable before even introducing such a feature)
-theme integration
-other integration options (dmry's script already has some of these, although they may need work)

joybreezy

wow.. ok.. im new to this but let me understand.. or tell me if I am understanding this correctly.. I can run SMF and Wordpress Blog simultaneously for my users using this SMF Bridge?

jjgallow

That's right, with some limitations.

The first limitation...this plugin is not completed.  There is a functional one, though.

You can read about it here:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=161671.0

And get it here:
http://www.earthorbit.com/opensource/

The other limitation is that it doesn't work well from SMF to wordpress, so your registrations, etc., have to be done through wordpress for it to communicate properly.  I'm working on that right now.

jjgallow

OK,

Version 1.06 is done, and comes with a twin plugin for SMF...so you can now integrate both ways, as originally intended with this project  :)

Orstio

Good use of the SMF integration hooks in the twin plugin.   ;D

jjgallow

Thanks Orstio,

Yes, the integration hooks are absolutely crucial.  I hope to see much more development with them!

motumbo

motumbo

So this works pretty good, then?

I am thinking about installing Wordpress Multi User and use the SMF database to store the user credentials. 

Niteblade

Question: Will I able to export a message in WP to a forum post in SMF ? I want to use SMF as the comment system, in other words.

Thanks!
affiliate blog

superbiagi

Hello,

I've got some pretty specific needs for a wordpress forum integration and I'm wondering if anyone knows of anything like this is or willing to write something like this (I'm a ruby on rails dev and have very limited PHP experience).

Basically, my site has gotten to the point where I get enough traffic and close to 50+ comments per post. The thing is most of the comments are really "forum type" discussion threads as opposed to actually comments about the post.

I'm trying to find some kind of forum or wordpress plugin that will integrate directly into my current wordpress site. For instance, when I make a new post, perhaps it will create a new thread on the forum for people to have discussion. I also don't want my readers to completely abandon using my comments. The more comments you see, the more likely you are to leave one. Anways, maybe when someone wants to make a comment, he will be redirected in the forum (as you can see here: hxxp:www.lost-italia.net/ [nonactive], even tought they don't use wordpress)

Any ideas or am I going to have to have someone develop it for me?
if nothing exists and someone would be willing to develop the plugin (either for free or as a contract job) I'd also be interested in hearing from you.

Thanks

TJTELLEZ9

I am trying to find a mod for smf where my smf member database, when a member logs in, will automatically create and login into my wp blog.

whether or not they have a registered wp login.

Prospero

NIBOGO, you can start here [nofollow] or here [nofollow].

I don't think that you will be able to make it work with 1.1.4 and new versions of WP. Simple Machines had a problem with the plugin, so its development was stopped. Which is really, really sad.

digitalpretzel

would this plug-in work for me?  the only thing i want to do is have a section on my WordPRess blog that shows the most recent SMF forum topics/reply in my forum (which resides in the /forum/ directory on my site.

Thats all i want... i wish i can find a way to make it happen.

wickeddivine

I just installed this plugin with the latest versions of WP and SMF, and it doesn't appear to be working.

DASBEAN

FCF iNFERNO

Yep.  Jeff (the creator) announce somewhere on these boards that he was switching from SMF and would not longer be supporting it.

It does not work.  I wish I would've read this before undergoing a complete site creation integration from scratch.

I had a working phpbb forum plagued with spam, and an HTML site.  I wanted to have a blog site where people could post comments, and keep my forums.  So I did a TON of research before arriving at WP and SMF.  WP was the most versatile (though vulnerable) blog app due to the plugins, etc.  and SMF was listed as the best of the "free" BB options.

Everything installed great, imported my database from phpbb no problems, users registered at the forums could post comments on my blog without re-registering.  That lasted about 3 days, or long enough for me to announce a site overhaul and generate some new traffic. 

Before making any changes, I backed up databases on both sides (smf and wp) because it would not import some of the new registrants. 

As soon as I tried to sync the databases the second time (first was at install) it completely mucked them up.  It added blanks " " to where numbers would be in names.  "jimmy2race" became "jimmy race" and virtually everyone stopped being able to log in at the forum.

What's really annoying is that the db backup isn't working for SMF.  So everything is far from perfect.  I'd say if you want to KILL your forum completely, install this bridge.  Otherwise, don't.

EDIT:  http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=161671.msg1310825#msg1310825

That is where Jeff announces he will no longer support this project.  Like I said, I wish I would have read this a week ago.

dewdrinker19

Quote from: rockgeek on November 06, 2006, 12:36:39 PM
I'd like to scrap/convert my current comments system on wordpress with SMF.

I have wordpress installed and I have SMF installed. Wordpress has a few comments on a few posts.

Ideal Situation: Everytime I added a post to Wordpress, a new topic within a designated board is created. Everytime someone adds a comment to the wordpress post, a comment is shown on wordpress and is registered as a reply to the topic post. Also everytime someone responds in the forum, this is shown on the main wordpress site. All my current posts and comments would be automatically converted over.

I'm sorry to revive such an old thread but does anybody have any information on if there is a way to get this running on SMF 2.0?

samames

Firefox 3 user. Mac user. Pc user.

Advertisement: