Upgrade / Test Question

Started by wing, December 31, 2005, 01:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wing

Hi, I'm currently running 1.05 of SMF, I have a lot of personal "hacks" and fixes.... well not a lot but a couple.  Also my themes have been changed around alot.

What I would like to do is upgrade to 1.1 but leave my 1.05 SMF running while I play with 1.1 for my approval.  I could do this on my personal PC but a lot of things just won't correctly until I have it running on my server (SSI's and such).

So, is it possibly to install 1.1 "copy" my 1.05 database over somehow and test it.

Maybe I have to make a copy of my 1.05 database and install it as a completely seperate database name and then install 1.1 and upgrade my copy of the database?

I do not have access to create a new database, I have only access to 1 database on my server, so creating a copy would be difficult.

Thanks

Fizzy

Hi use the same database but rename your installation prefix to something like smftest1 and you should be able to install SMF in to a separate folder without any interference at all.

Basically you could potentially use a million versions of SMF in a single database by using different prefixes ;)
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

wing

Great, but will it convert it?  I'll try it thanks!

Wait I guess this won't work.  As it won't "upgrade"  I tried just putting the new version in a different directory and running index.php or upgrade.php and I get nothing on the screen :(

I'll try installing the full version and running the upgrade script maybe.

wing

Ok, I copied my forum to a new directory than untarred the files of the upgrade for 1.1 into the new directory.

When I run upgrade.php it warns me that The upgrader found some old or outdated files. ???  All files are there.

redone

Which files are those? If they are non-English language files and your just running your forum with the English language files I would not worry about it.

wing

I think I just figured it out.....

I didn't change the Settings.php when I copied the files over so it is pointing to the real forum.

Darn, that did not work either..........  I don't know which files it is, it does not say in the error.

I get this only:
The upgrader found some old or outdated files.

Please make certain you uploaded the new versions of all the files included in the package.

Click here to try again.

Grudge

That normally means index.php is out of date.
I'm only a half geek really...

wing

I'm a tool  ::)

I changed Settings.php in my REAL forum directory  :o  I quickly put that back now.  Seems to work now :)

Problem is though it is going to convert my real database which has smf_ as the prefix.

I want to convert it to something else.

Perhaps I have to just copy all the tables in my database to different ones.

Is there an easy way to copy all smf_ tables in phpmyadmin to testsmf_ tables?

wing

I guess I'll do it one table at a time.  :P

wing

Seems to work except the show_settings template seems not to work in my theme, I had to change to the default theme for it?? :(

Grudge

Have you checked the sticky in "General Support" about the updated ManageServer.php file, incase it's relevant

wing

These problems are a result of my horrible custom theme.  I created my own monster with this.  I'm going to fix my theme, which means I'll have to reinstall all my mods but it's my own fault for copying ALL the php files in the themes directory instead of doing 1 at a time as they needed changing  ::)

Grudge

Yes wing, you want custom templates to ONLY contain those files you've actually edited, otherwise you will make it hard :(

Advertisement: