News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

MK Portal vs. Mambo/Joomla

Started by Prasad007, January 02, 2006, 04:27:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is better?

MK Portal
14 (60.9%)
Mambo/Joomla
9 (39.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Prasad007

MK Portal for me!! :) @ www.tech-ultimatum.uni.cc

-Prasad007.

sifirforum.com

SIFIR proudly hosted by servega

Prasad007

i wonder why most people say the mambo/joomla bridge with SMF is much better ????

Tiramisu

Does MKPortal works the same as Joomla/Mambo?
I have this problem when I browse with IE ... SMF and Joomla doesnt align ... it is like SMF is locked at the bottom of the page and a big empty space on top ... but with Opera or FF ... no probs ...

Any comments??

Cerberus

btw, don't forget that there's a new player - Enigma2 ;)
and it seems to be well-promising ;D
Best Regards, Cerberus
YaBB Gold -> YaBB 1.1 -> YaBB SE (YaPP -> PfaBB) -> SMF
Pocket PC Russia

Prasad007

Quote from: Cerberus on January 02, 2006, 06:09:24 AM
btw, don't forget that there's a new player - Enigma2 ;)
and it seems to be well-promising ;D
its a portal too?
can you give a link?

Cerberus

Best Regards, Cerberus
Pocket PC Russia

Prasad007

Quote from: Cerberus on January 02, 2006, 11:23:25 AM
www.lunabyte.net
wow thats cool too!
is it possible to shift from one portal to another after having everything set up ?

Cerberus

I don't think so, as I haven't seen any convertor from M/J to MKP and vice versa :). I'm referring to portal functions of course, as the members table remains unchanged.
Best Regards, Cerberus
Pocket PC Russia

Varment

I like Joomla the best, it is more than a portal - it is a very powerful CMS. I used MKPortal when it first came out but it got frustrating to use and was lacking in features, power and updates, but it was good for a lightweight site. One great thing about Joomla is it is opensource and has a large developer base and has many add ons you can use to extend your site. MKPortal may not support SMF in the future but Joomla will; maybe not directly but through the community. MEO's own words say's MKPortal is not free and is not open source and never will be.

Anyway there are a lot of good portal's/CMS's out there; check this thread out.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=18370.0

Another nice CMS is bitweaver [nofollow] but nobody has an SMF intergration started yet, but one can hope somebody will make one..

If you want a small fast and easy portal for SMF take a look at TinyPortal [nofollow].

Prasad007

Quote from: Varment on January 03, 2006, 09:07:22 AM
I like Joomla the best, it is more than a portal - it is a very powerful CMS. I used MKPortal when it first came out but it got frustrating to use and was lacking in features, power and updates, but it was good for a lightweight site. One great thing about Joomla is it is opensource and has a large developer base and has many add ons you can use to extend your site. MKPortal may not support SMF in the future but Joomla will; maybe not directly but through the community. MEO's own words say's MKPortal is not free and is not open source and never will be.

Anyway there are a lot of good portal's/CMS's out there; check this thread out.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=18370.0

Another nice CMS is bitweaver but nobody has an SMF intergration started yet, but one can hope somebody will make one..

If you want a small fast and easy portal for SMF take a look at TinyPortal.
Wow! Thanks!

Gobo

mkportal is the best and fastest solution in my personal opinion

I tried joomla and holy cowman its a headache to get started up and its overly complicated looks cumbersome provides support for like a million things none of which truly integrate with it seamlessly and has way too many theming issues when it comes to integrating with other systems!

Thats why i just went with mkp - it was as simple as pie :D

too bad mkp wont be supporting smf in the future - but I say "nothing lasts forever, so enjoy today and when tomorrow comes take care of its worries then - because nothing lasts forever including me"

so chill and lets have a party :D

Prasad007

Quote from: akulion on January 05, 2006, 02:18:00 AM
mkportal is the best and fastest solution in my personal opinion

I tried joomla and holy cowman its a headache to get started up and its overly complicated looks cumbersome provides support for like a million things none of which truly integrate with it seamlessly and has way too many theming issues when it comes to integrating with other systems!

Thats why i just went with mkp - it was as simple as pie :D

too bad mkp wont be supporting smf in the future - but I say "nothing lasts forever, so enjoy today and when tomorrow comes take care of its worries then - because nothing lasts forever including me"

so chill and lets have a party :D
my friend mkp is ending
and tomorrow has already arrived
thats why i HAVE to shift to another CMS ~ Joomla
i too used MKP till now, but we dont have an option.

Gobo

oh its not so dramatic! lol come on man

we are always upgrading - but really my users are very happy with the current setup I have now....so they can use itfor a year or so and then by that time im sure a solution will come up anyways....

I think we all get up too much in upgrading too much

Advertisement: