News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

smf to smf new host/server/domain

Started by after the pair, January 03, 2006, 02:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

after the pair

I'm setting up a new smf board at a new server w/ a new domain as well.
I'd realy like to transer in all my existing info from the board I had running for about a year, I'm not really sure how to do it.  Could someone point me in the right direction?  thanks :D

Bigguy

If you can get a backup of the database and a full directory backup then your in good shape. Use them both on the new server, change your DNS on your domain to your new host, upload the backups and use the file "repair_settings.php" found on this site. Others will have better ideas I do believe but thats the jist of it. Hope that helped a bit.

redone

Incredibly easy to do really. Follow these steps

Moving Servers

after the pair

I've been trying, but can't seem to figure out how to get to maintance mode ???

xenovanis

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

after the pair

I get this message:  "These settings cannot be changed because Settings.php is read only."

and everything is sort of shaded out.

xenovanis

You need to set permissions for the file Settings.php and Settings_bak.php to 777.

How do I use chmod?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

after the pair

ok.  I'm making progress.  I am stuck on this step:

"You are now ready to upload the contents of the directory on your computer to the new server. Upload the complete contents of the directory to the new server."  does this refer to the files I ftp'd to my computer?  I'm not sure here ???

thanks!

xenovanis

after the pair

amlost there:

in phpmyadmin I can't seem to find an "import"button  ???

after the pair

ok I figures out the import by when I did it I got this error:

"Error
SQL query:

# ==========================================================
#
# Database dump of tables in `szocik_smf3`
# January 04, 2006, 11:51:17 AM
#
# ==========================================================
#
# Dumping data in `smf_attachments`
#
INSERT INTO  `smf_attachments` (
`ID_ATTACH` ,
`ID_MSG` ,
`ID_MEMBER` ,
`filename` ,
`size` ,
`downloads`
)
VALUES ( 4, 0, 14,  'avatar_14.gif', 0, 4 ) , ( 6, 0, 21,  'avatar_21.gif', 0, 0 ) , ( 11, 0, 26,  'avatar_26.gif', 0, 4 )

MySQL said:

#1062 - Duplicate entry '4' for key 1

after the pair

surprisingly everything on my new database is looking like my old one, however, when I log in I'm automatically directed to the old url, how is this corrected??  thanks again.

xenovanis

You need to run repair_settings to point SMF at your new url and paths.

What is repair_settings.php?

Advertisement: