Converting Fantastico phpBB board to SMF, using existing URL

Started by The Ancients, January 03, 2006, 03:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ancients

I hope the above isn't too confusing  ::)

We an installation of phpBB 2.0.18 courtesy of cPanel/Fantastico, at /forum.  I would like to change from phpBB to smf (1.0.5 [Patched-1]), moving the existing data over, and using the /forum URL for smf, once done.  I've read the Converter FAQ, but there isn't specific instructions for doing so with Fantastico installs.  Could someone outline a procedure for doing so?

At present:

/forum
phpbb with live user data
Database name:  mship_phpb1
users: mship_phpb1 and mship_smf1 (the user created by fantastico smf install I added to the php database)

/smf
smf with no data present (standard fantastico install)
Database name:  mship_smf1
users:  mship_smf1

If any additional information is required, please don't hesitate to ask.

Aaron

First make sure the user of your SMF database has got access to your phpBB database. You can archieve this by going to cPanel -> MySQL databases and assigning the mship_phpb1 user to the mship_smf1 database with all permissions.

Then upload the converter found here to your SMF-directory using FTP or cPanel's File Manager. Run it via www.yourdomain.com/smf/phpbb_to_smf.php, fill in the requested data, and click on Convert. That'll do!

Aaron.

The Ancients

Aaron,

thanks for that.  I carried out the above (after obtaining the password from the settings.php file) and while a few errors were listed, everything seems ok.  I can't change the URL of the forum as the settings are read only for the aforementioned file - I presume if I chmod this file, I will then be able to change the URL in the administration section of smf without any issues? 

Fizzy

An easier way to relocate to forum/ is to rename your OLD forum/ to something like OLDFORUM/
Then rename your smf/ directory to forum/
Then run repair_settings.php to repair all of the paths for you

What is repair_settings.php?
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

The Ancients

Quote from: Fizzy on January 03, 2006, 06:59:00 PM
An easier way to relocate to forum/ is to rename your OLD forum/ to something like OLDFORUM/
Then rename your smf/ directory to forum/
Then run repair_settings.php to repair all of the paths for you

What is repair_settings.php?

That would have been handy!

I deleted the smf test install above, changed the phpbb forum to /oldforum on the server, and in the settings for phpbb itself.  I then created a new smf install in /forum, gave the smf user permissions for the phpbb database, ran the converter, removed the php script, and everything appears good to go. 

Thanks to all for the quick responses  :D

Fizzy

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

Advertisement: