News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Can SMF and PHP share the same DB forever?

Started by backend, January 03, 2006, 06:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backend

My SMF is installed on the same DB as my old PHPbb forum. Is that OK? Moreover, is it safe to delete the PHPbb related tables, since I won't be using the forums anymore.
Finally, and I think the answer to this is no, but I will ask anyways: if my PHPbb forum was to get hacked (that is very common these days) would that effect my SMF installation in any way?

Thanks a lot!

wizard13335

1. Yes, it is safe to delete your old phpBB tables, as long as you didn't give your SMF tables the same names.

2. It depends on the kind of hacking.
Wizard-A world of spells and enchantments awaits you.
Have a cat? Share your pet with the world at Kitten Kare.

Grudge

If someone hacks any piece of software on your machine the chances are they can delete all tables in your database so yes. One unsecure script leaves your WHOLE account wide open. Always update scripts, and never leave unused ones on your server. And yes, you can delete your old phpBB tables if the conversion was successful.
I'm only a half geek really...

Kirby

Yeah, you can remove the phpBB tables. As long as the phpBB tables use a different prefix than SMF's, there should be no conflict at all.

As for SMF getting hacked, I really doubt it unless if the phpBB hack is powerful enough. I would suggest either a.) removing the phpBB code from your server or moving it to a non public directory, b.) keeping phpBB up to date, or c.) using phpBBs offline mode (though I don't trust it as much).

EDIT: I should type faster :(

opus_two

Once you remove the phpBBS table.. Can you remove the phpBBS system files as well?

SlammedDime

I don't see why not.  I would rather remove the files, and leave the tables, than the other way around.  Although, as others said, if the conversion was sucessful, there's no reason to keep them around.  They would be in a backup copy if ever needed... (you do create routine backups, right?). ;)
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Advertisement: