News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Default Theme Color Variations Support

Started by Mystica, January 04, 2006, 11:24:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sverre

Quote from: Mystica on January 05, 2006, 11:21:48 AM
Quote from: Sverre on January 05, 2006, 10:00:59 AM
I made a decent Grey (or Noir which I like to call it :P) version simply by desaturating the original blue images and the blue background/link/border colours in the CSS file.

Looks good! But I think I'd go for a slightly more chrome look with highlights.
Do you plan to release your color variation theme?

Initially, I thought about a more metallic/glossy look, but with my limited Photoshop experience it takes enough time to desaturate the whole batch of images, so I decided to keep it as simple and basic as possible. I might try to add an adjustment layer and play around with the brightness/contrast settings later though, or just wait and see what you come up with...

I didn't plan to release it, but if there is any interest, I guess I could.

I've also done a red version (original images colorized with Hue = 0 and Saturation = 50) by the way, but personally I think it may have turned out a bit too crimson/pink (turns out that was due to colour rendering on the laptop I used to make it).

Slack

Quote from: Mystica on January 05, 2006, 12:53:21 PM
Yes, orange, brown, purple and chrome (all in light and dark) are on my list, so those will probably be the next versions I'll be working on.

Very nice mystica --- I'm interested in the Brown!

dustrho

How can you edit the look of this theme?  There's a theme_info.xml file that can be edited but where are the various template files that can be edited?

Mystica

These themes are just color variations. They use the default theme's files. If you want to edit a file, copy it from the default theme into the color variation theme's directory.
~ there's nothing wrong with me, this is how I'm supposed to be ~

Wolfenrook

I've already made 4 color variations, I'm now going to be working on a peach based version (request from one of my members) save duplicating efforts Mystica.  Once the peach one is finished you can always altar things a bit more until it meets your standards as well, although I will try to get as much right as possible first time with this one  ;) lol

Ade
Thoughts are free, it's their consequences that often have a cost.

dustrho

Quote from: Mystica on January 06, 2006, 10:29:48 PM
These themes are just color variations. They use the default theme's files. If you want to edit a file, copy it from the default theme into the color variation theme's directory.

So do I edit the files in the default directory or am I suppose to copy all of those files into the new dark-black directory?  I'm confused as to how this particular theme works, since it's using the default files.

Right now all I want to do is add text links at the very top of the page, and then possibly make my custom logo (that sits on the top left side of the page) linkable.

I'm also having a hell of a time getting the Users Online Today mod working with this.

Suggestions?

Mystica

Well, this theme simply uses the files in the default directory. If you want to edit a file, it's best to copy it from the default directory and edit it then (files in the default directory itself should always stay like they are). Then upload the edit file to the dark-black directory. You only need to copy the files that you want to edit, all other files will still be used from the default theme.
For the changes that you want to make you'd only need to copy index.template.php and edit it.
Mods should work with these themes just as they work with the default theme. If a mod doesn't work, check if it's meant for the forum version you are using and if there are any images that will have to be copied to the new theme's folder.

David79

great Variations....

I was wondering if you could help me out on a small problem though. On the Info Center area topics thats in the "recent posts" that are long are pushing the table off side....anyway I can fix this?

dustrho

Do you happen to know WHERE in the index.template.php file I would have to add text links to work at the top of the page?  I'm looking at the code of it right now, and I can't figure out where it should be.

Thanks a ton!

Mystica

Quote from: Wild Man on January 07, 2006, 12:50:38 PM
I was wondering if you could help me out on a small problem though. On the Info Center area topics thats in the "recent posts" that are long are pushing the table off side....anyway I can fix this?

In boardindex.template.php on line 266, remove the nowrap="nowrap" part.

Quote from: dustrho on January 07, 2006, 12:55:18 PM
Do you happen to know WHERE in the index.template.php file I would have to add text links to work at the top of the page?  I'm looking at the code of it right now, and I can't figure out where it should be.

Depends on where you want to add them. Right at the top above everything else? Then it would be best to put the code right below the <body> tag.

dustrho

Quote from: Mystica on January 07, 2006, 01:04:36 PM
Depends on where you want to add them. Right at the top above everything else? Then it would be best to put the code right below the <body> tag.

What line are you referring to?  There's a couple <body> tags in the file.  I tried it with the first one on line 168 and it broke my forums.  Thanks!

David79

dustrho

Disregard my question.  I figured out it has to be under echo ' on line 170.  Thanks though!

dtm.exe

Mystica, some images in the dark brown theme are missing.  Maybe just one though...the "New" button.

Mystica

Right, the new.gif seems to be still taken from the "english" folder, I didn't include that one in the color variations. There's a new.gif in the "buttons" folder though.

Wolfenrook

Some of the images from the topic folder are missing as well Mystica.

Mystica

Quote from: Wolfenrook on January 07, 2006, 03:48:58 PM
Some of the images from the topic folder are missing as well Mystica.

?? It has all 12 images that are needed.

Wolfenrook

I was getting red x's for post_normal_sticky.gif and post_normal_locked.gif, I don't know if these are used anywhere else on the forum but they were missing when viewing the help section.

Mystica

They're not used on the forum, at least not with the default theme...

Lysanda

Hiya,
I might be missing something here, but in the original thread about the colour variations, all I see in the posts are the colour names.
Should I be looking somewhere else for the theme info?

Thanks.
The Online Psych Ward = http://dysfunctional101.com

Advertisement: