News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Shared Forum Mod

Started by Goosemoose, January 06, 2006, 03:04:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orstio

QuoteSince you are using it, what is the practical application and significance of such a mod?

The practical application is to keep completely separate forums for different genres of discussion.

Goosemoose's pet site is a prime example -- He has separate forums for each type of pet, each with their own unique boards.  There are also general boards that appear in all forums simultaneously.

So, it's like having one login for multiple forums, and dog owners don't have to have their page cluttered up with cat boards and vice versa.

FidelGonzales

Quote from: Orstio on February 06, 2009, 11:43:15 PM

The practical application is to keep completely separate forums for different genres of discussion.

Goosemoose's pet site is a prime example -- He has separate forums for each type of pet, each with their own unique boards.  There are also general boards that appear in all forums simultaneously.

So, it's like having one login for multiple forums, and dog owners don't have to have their page cluttered up with cat boards and vice versa.

Thank you for your response.

I looked at this yesterday and saw that in spite of how large the forum was, it was very well organized, due in great part to the referenced mod. Once I understood what I had previously overlooked, I was impressed. Great work.

Thanks again.

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

Quote from: ahrasis on February 03, 2009, 02:37:16 PM
Anyone want to try this mod on SJSB + smf 1.1.7?

I do this and the Shared Forum Mod works in Joomla 1.5.9 using SJSB + smf 1.1.7.

First follow all instructions at post #1 except step #5 (orstio, goosemoose & Kingconnor).
Quote from: ahrasis on February 03, 2009, 11:45:57 AM
I sure like to attempt shared forum mod using sjsb with smf 1.1.7. Hopefully nothing much changed. But I have to understand nicholas view.php first. He created for almost each and every main menu action. Plus, I am not even a coder.
Edit as per post #111 (sarge)

Find at around line 182 in administrator/components/com_smf/helper.php:
return 'index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid='.$Itemid;

Change to:
return 'index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid='.$Itemid.'&forum='.$_REQUEST['forum'];

It also works with 1.1.8. Just to note that SJSB doesn't support 1.1.x anymore. But all the latest com, mod and plugin works with warnings! (Can be turned off if you want). I used SJSB 1.0.9b smf mod for that. I attach that here for those who need it.

I will post the link for sample later. Use it with care (always back up) as SJSB bridge is still alpha.

~Killer~

Mmm, I can't seem to do this at all, can someone help me?

What do you need my friend?

~Killer~

What do I need? I need it done to my forums, thats what, I don't feel comfortable doing it myself on my main forum when I can't even do it on a test forum. I'm using 2.0 BETA 4, it is compatible with that isn't it? Please say yes ;'( (On the test forum I used 1.1.8).

Kindred

I do not think it has been upgraded to 2.0 yet.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Goosemoose

Quote from: FidelGonzales on February 05, 2009, 01:25:00 PM
Quote from: Simbyte on November 03, 2008, 09:44:16 AM
I would be very interested in that, too. The Shared Forum Mod is a very important part of my forum. Without it, I can't switch to SMF 2.0.

That's the problem with mods that are not heavily supported and able to adapt to newer versions.

Since you are using it, what is the practical application and significance of such a mod? I see some benefit but do not quite grasp it. Thanks.

The shared forum mod was heavily support but it relied on the Joomla bridge which was pulled so it could not continue to be developed. Now that SJSB is heading in the same direction it's a possibility to get it going again.

Goosemoose

Ahrasis, nice job and thanks for picking this up. It'll be a few weeks before I can start looking at a 2.0 port so if anyone is up to the task, feel free :)

~Killer~

Lol, don't expect me to jump across for the coding side of this, I need this for 2.0 BETA 4 (m'eh, RC1 aswell, but thats not my main forum), and it installed for me, please look into it ASAP, I really need this :'(

Quote from: ~Killer~ on February 16, 2009, 05:18:29 PM
Lol, don't expect me to jump across for the coding side of this, I need this for 2.0 BETA 4 (m'eh, RC1 aswell, but thats not my main forum), and it installed for me, please look into it ASAP, I really need this :'(
If you need help of setting this mod up with smf 2.0 b4 or rc1, I could not help you. I can only help you in doing this with smf 1.1.x. The SJSB must be used to bridge between Joomla 1.5.9 and smf 1.1.x.

But you can use Jfusion together to synchronize user between smf and joomla as SJSB is not ready for that yet.

I am trying to prepare this mod in a package but has yet to complete it. My knowledge is really limited and I am referring to other Mods as guidelines.

~Killer~

Whats SJSB by the way? And as said in the OP, you don't need Joomla...

I can't wait a few weeks :'(

Err... If you dont use Joomla you may go for other related mods but this surely is not for you. The OP said so.

~Killer~

The OP said "Ok, you can do it without the Mambo/Joomla bridge but it's no where near as good." - You can still use it without...

Quote from: ~Killer~ on February 17, 2009, 11:23:40 AM
The OP said "Ok, you can do it without the Mambo/Joomla bridge but it's no where near as good." - You can still use it without...
Yes, that what it says which means it cannot be use without Mambo/Joomla bridge (or its equivalent i.e. in this case SJSB). I am so sorry.

~Killer~

Quote from: ahrasis on February 17, 2009, 03:18:03 PM
Quote from: ~Killer~ on February 17, 2009, 11:23:40 AM
Yes, that what it says which means it cannot be use without Mambo/Joomla bridge (or its equivalent i.e. in this case SJSB). I am so sorry.

What do you mean?

This mod is originally meant for Mambo/Joomla with smf supported bridge user. That means you must have smf bridged with either Mambo or Joomla for it to work. The supported bridge to Joomla is already stopped but it has been updated to work with Mambo. However, if you use unsupported bridge of SJSB you can still successfully implement this mod too as per my explanation.

The current latest available combination are:
1. SMF 1.1.8 + Mambo 4.6.5 (using official smf bridge).
2. SMF 1.1.8 + Joomla 1.5.9 (using SJSB bridge).

Other then that, I do not know. You can try Sarge Shared Forum Mod at http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=158330.0 which uses TP+SMF combination or Pedja Multidomain SMF forum mod at http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=171340.0.

Mr. Jinx

Quote from: ahrasis on February 17, 2009, 03:18:03 PM
It can be used without mambo/joomla, however this was for smf 1.1.4
Don't know if it's still working because I'm not using it anymore:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=64492.msg1260265#msg1260265

I guess I was wrong. It can be done standalone without Joomla/Mambo... I read your previous post. Impressive. Though I never try it before. Just, curious how it works? Any demo site?

Advertisement: