News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Session save path and php - help!

Started by hobielang, January 08, 2006, 05:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobielang

I've gotten this message when i try to install:

Warning: Unknown(): open(/tmp/php-ses/sess_bff7d2b4cf72b48686e0a5a1dbc148ee, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown(): Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of hxxp:session.save [nonactive]_path is correct (/tmp/php-ses) in Unknown on line 0

My provider tells me:

The session save path must appear on every PHP page that uses session data, and it must appear before your session_start line.

Not being highly techincal, i'm very frustrated.  What files will need to be changed?  I've changed the install file; where else muist i look?

I did note that a thread about this from the summer of '04 indicates that the next release of the board would deal with this issue...has that happened?

Thanks

Grudge

If you cant get to your admin area download the file called repair_setting from the download tools said here. Upload to forum and run. Use this to turn on database driven sessions
I'm only a half geek really...

Charles LePage

Quote from: Grudge on January 09, 2006, 02:45:25 AM
If you cant get to your admin area download the file called repair_setting from the download tools said here. Upload to forum and run. Use this to turn on database driven sessions

Two things to note:

1) At the top of repair_settings.php for her site, it says "Some settings are not being shown because the MySQL connection information is incorrect."  However, the mysql info appears to be correct.

2) The following errors are at the bottom of that same page:

Warning: Unknown(): open(/tmp/php-ses/sess_52ab48ded7bda00dea108b38b58dc0fa, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown(): Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp/php-ses) in Unknown on line 0

Grudge

Yea, by enabling the database driven sessions it should make the error go aware, as SMF will do what PHP is failing to do. It sounds like the host expects you to configure your own tmp space if you want to use sessions yourself, personally I see that as quite an ask on shared hosting where users may not be experienced - I don't see why they haven't got one setup for PHP use, but there you go.

Charles LePage

Yes, and when the "session save path" is changed from "tmp" to what the web host says is the correct temp folder in "install.php," it also doesn't make the error go away.

Grudge

I don't think it should be up to the individual users to modify their scripts to have a sensible session save path - the host should have this universally configured IMHO. Did database sessions work?

hobielang

Nothing is helping so far.  And i agree - users should not have to configure php.  The host should be doing that.

Any other suggestions would be hugely appreciated...

Oldiesmann

Try creating a folder in your root directory called tmp and chmod it to 777. That should fix your problems. If it doesn't, add this line to the beginning of index.php:

ini_set('session.save_path', '/home/you/tmp');
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Charles LePage

There is a folder named "tmp" that is "777."

Added the line to the beginning of "index.php."

And I still see in "repair_settings.php":

Some settings are not being shown because the MySQL connection information is incorrect.

Warning: Unknown(): open(/tmp/php-ses/sess_52ab48ded7bda00dea108b38b58dc0fa, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown(): Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp/php-ses) in Unknown on line 0

Charles LePage

Got rid of the first error by deactivation "host access."

The bottom two errors persist.

kegobeer

Your path to /tmp should be something like /home/tmp, not just /tmp.  For example, if the root directory is /home/www/smf, then the tmp directory would be /home/www/smf/tmp.
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf
Posting and you (Click "WATCH THIS MOVIE")

Charles LePage

Guess what?  I decided to try out "install.php" one more time, and it worked.  Please check out the results at

http://www.shutdown-vol2.com/forum/index.php

And thank you all!

Advertisement: