News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Something to replace MK Portal?

Started by SpilltheBeans, January 13, 2006, 03:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpilltheBeans

I have been evaluating a forum/portal combination and found that MK Portal and SMF are a good pair. But now that I've been reading about instability in the direction of MK Portal, I don't think I want to use it. So can anyone recommend something similar? Here's what attracted me to MK portal, in order of importance.

1. Uses the SMF database so plugging in and sharing data was easy.
2. Has a user blogs system
3. Has a skin that is similar to SMF 1.1 RC (not perfect, but close)
4. Easy install with SMF
5. Easy RSS

1 and 2 are very important. 3, 4, 5, I'm willing to give up if I have to.

Here is stuff I don't need
1. I don't use the forum within the portal. I don't need tight integration with the forum (except for having the same user database).
2. A lot of features such as the calender, photo gallery, are not needed.

So is there any recommended portal based on the info above? I'm a portal novice since previously, I've just coded the front page myself.
All my mods found at TripStir.com/forum/.

blndsyd

Wolfenrook

Simple answer to that, use MKPortal.  The instability issues you have mentioned regarding the future of MKPortal are subjective to say the very least.  MKPortal works with SMF 1.1RC2, and Meo has stated quite clearly that he will continue to support MKPortal with SMF for the forseeable future.  Yes he made an announcement a while back that he was going to stop making it for other boards, this was because MKPortal 2 was to have it's own integrated forum system.  He has since decided to stop developement on 2 and to continue to support other bulleting boards (SMF included).  I really can't see this changing any time soon, and to be honest the internet is dynamic and those who wish to exploit the internet need to be as well.  I for one am not changing from using MKPortal, not for the forseeable future anyway.
Thoughts are free, it's their consequences that often have a cost.

Advertisement: