News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Calendar mods

Started by Chris Curran, January 21, 2006, 11:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoBite

I administer a forum of Doberman dog owners. The birthdays of the forum members automatically get added to the calendar as repeating events. I have recently added two score dog birthdays to the calendar as events. There seems to be no way to make them annual repeating events. However, I suppose I could add them as Holidays, which I can make annually repeat.

I yearn for a mod that will enable repeating events, however.

I am no programmer and so will watch this topic to learn of updates to the process. Thanks to all that are programming!

Chris Curran

Been fighting Prostate Cancer. That's where I "disappeared" to. This code is not "buggy" either - when run on the proper version of SMF, without a ton of other (buggy) mods installed. If you guys want it for 2.x, then dl the code and modify it (then fight with the lords to be about the position of the curly braces). I did the heavy lifting already...

Over 40? Get your PSA tested. Just effing do it.

Quote from: nivlac on March 11, 2010, 08:16:57 PM
Where did all the time go?
Quote« Reply #417 on: May 04, 2009, 06:12:32 PM »
Chris has not been an active user here for a LONG time...   And I never got his mod to fully work...   so I think the best answer is "no one right now knows the answer".

As for the 2.0 version...   yes, I know I keep syaing "just around the corner" but I am sitting down eahc evening this week to actively work on it. For real.

« Reply #423 on: July 12, 2009, 03:08:54 PM »
there are a lot of problems with the current version of this mod (plus the "current" version is ancient)

the author has disappeared.... and I have not yet completed my update for the functionality (which will only be done for 2.0 when I am done)

"Time flies like an arrow. Fruitflies like banana." :P

Any word on your progress with this mod Kindred? (He asked, as Kindred resists the urge to scream.) No sweat, I know how life can creep up on you and the next thing you know a year has gone by.

My forum Administrator wanted to upgrade to 2.0 RC2, which I did, and now... you guessed it. We were using the "Repeating Events" calendar mod, even though it was a little buggy with SMF 1.1.11. So now she says, "All the birthdays I put in the calendar and made repeating are gone!" No, says I. They're still there in the database, you just can't see them because the mod isn't updated yet, but there is a person working on it, you just have to wait because he also works for a living and that comes first. So that's my reason for asking.

I wish I could offer some help, but I know just enough PHP to drive me insane and accidently pull data from alternate realities. It has to be, because no one can understand it.

And, I just want to say, I truly appreciate people such as yourself that do the thing you do to make our lives as forum owners, administrators and webmasters easier. Atta boy!

Thanks...

Chris Curran

A tool like www.reachpeople.com might be more appropriate for this use case...

Quote from: NoBite on June 04, 2010, 08:47:52 PM
I administer a forum of Doberman dog owners. The birthdays of the forum members automatically get added to the calendar as repeating events. I have recently added two score dog birthdays to the calendar as events. There seems to be no way to make them annual repeating events. However, I suppose I could add them as Holidays, which I can make annually repeat.

I yearn for a mod that will enable repeating events, however.

I am no programmer and so will watch this topic to learn of updates to the process. Thanks to all that are programming!

Kindred

WOW!   Hi Chris. Sorry to hear about the cancer. Is it in remission now?

I have been busy doing SMF corporate stuff and RL myself... so I haven't gone anywhere with this code either. :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Chris Curran

Yes, I'm cancer free for six months now. :) Problem is that the cure is almost as bad as the disease. :( It's physically brutal.

I will not be doing anything with this code for SMF. The model used here is, uh, "broken" and I don't feel like fighting with kids who think they know how to code better than everyone else. Patching source code to implement addon's is problematic at best...

Over 40? Get your PSA tested. It's a blood test. No finger up the rear. Don't be a puss - do it.

Quote from: Kindred on October 14, 2010, 10:22:52 AM
WOW!   Hi Chris. Sorry to hear about the cancer. Is it in remission now?

I have been busy doing SMF corporate stuff and RL myself... so I haven't gone anywhere with this code either. :)

Snaky_Love

hi,

I would like to recheck here - i need iCal for the forum calendar - is there somewhere a mod that does it?

Thanks!

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Huskyteer

I hope some kind person does code this for version 2 - it would be incredibly useful for me.

Thomllama1

Quote from: Huskyteer on January 10, 2011, 10:10:07 AM
I hope some kind person does code this for version 2 - it would be incredibly useful for me.

this was very helpful to our non profit site before upgrading to 2.0 gold...  :-\  Wish someone would edit/rewrite it!!  honestly I think it should be part of the main code for the forum software but the calendar isn't a high priority so I can see why it isn't
If you like MT Biking, come visit CTNEMBA.com  :) May your last ride not be "Your LAST Ride"

Kindred

Well, Calendar enhancements ARE on the schedule for future releases, although, currently, the plan it to remove the calendar as a standard function (only about 50% of the sites use the calendar) and the release an "official" plugin with several enhancements.

Recurring Events, Sign Up/Attendance, and time-of-day are three of the most requested enhancements.
Слaва
Украинi

Thomllama1

Quote from: Kindred on June 29, 2011, 11:26:29 AM
Well, Calendar enhancements ARE on the schedule for future releases, although, currently, the plan it to remove the calendar as a standard function (only about 50% of the sites use the calendar) and the release an "official" plugin with several enhancements.

Recurring Events, Sign Up/Attendance, and time-of-day are three of the most requested enhancements.

So the calendar it's self would be a plug in, but would have all those features?  sounds good to me.. i know it's hard to say, but got a general time frame? this yr? :-\
If you like MT Biking, come visit CTNEMBA.com  :) May your last ride not be "Your LAST Ride"

Kindred

sorry...   we don't release any sort of release dates for the reason that this is a volunteer project and people may or may not get to things quickly (or slowly)

I'd LIKE to see it this year, but I am not committing the devs to anything.
Слaва
Украинi

toolbox

That would be good to see as we use the calendar for our club forum and members use this alot.

demlak

is this still in progress? are developers still looking for seperating the calendar to a mod/plugin? and of course the enhancements =)

Arantor

It's still there in 2.1 at present. Converting it to a plugin is a very huge task, probably greater than most would suspect.

demlak

2.1 *grml*
i don´t wanna wait a year or so =)

Arantor

Do you know how much effort it would take to make it into a plugin? (Assuming SMF had a sane plugin interface, which at this time, it does not)

demlak

i can imagine...
but.. world-freedom is also a difficult thingy.. but i like it to get it tomorrow =)
whatever.. i know what you mean..

Arantor

I'm not sure you do know what I mean.

I'm probably going to get hell for this, but so be it. http://wedge.org/pub/feats/6108/new-revs/msg270482/#msg270482 is where I documented how much change had occurred in removing it from an SMF fork. And that's just literally the changelog entry - it's even more massive than that in practice, and remember you still have to have the infrastructure to support it being pluggable after that.

SMF 2.1 is better but IMO it still doesn't have the infrastructure to properly handle plugins, too much work is still required by plugins to achieve anything.

And I wouldn't say that I was new to SMF's code or anything...

mickjav

Does This mod work with 2.0.18 As would be exactly what I need for my Artists sections.

don't know if I need the moon part though

It does parse but a very big mod from the looks of it?

thanks mick

Advertisement: