News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Please do NOT start new topics here!!!

Started by Grudge, March 07, 2004, 06:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grudge

This board is for the mod site.  Please don't start new topics here.

Grudge
I'm only a half geek really...

HRM

Huh  
How could we my dear? There's no New Topic button anyway.
To install something for the cat's 'cut' is never nice..... (old dutch saying) :D

Grudge

Heh - it was posted in the old days when this board was for admins only - who could start new topics ;)
I'm only a half geek really...

Elijah Bliss

I have one request for the mod developers:
Can you please try to include screen captures of your mod?
Often times the descriptions are vague, therefore I would like to see a preview before I install a mod.

Nyx

Bitwiz44

And... Make it so they install COMPLETLY without having to hack/modify the CODE for us "not so smart" Please?

Midgard

How to delete some unnecessary files from my mod?

Fizzy

Quote from: Elijah Bliss on December 30, 2004, 03:34:57 AM
I have one request for the mod developers:
Can you please try to include screen captures of your mod?
Often times the descriptions are vague, therefore I would like to see a preview before I install a mod.

I'm with Elijah on this.

I have noticed that some of the mods being offered have absolutely no introduction, description, screen shots or links to working examples / test sites and are not even being offered by the Mod Writing Team.

Also, I am very concerned that mods are being entered in to the mod gallery without requiring any authentication or approval by our trusted and respected mod writing team. I assume that if someone wanted to they could potentially upload a mod that would either hose or compromise the security of any forum it was introduced to.

I appreciate that every user of a mod must take responsibility for their own forum, site and mod that they load in to it and that SMF cannot be held accountable, but considering the fact that some mod users may be totally unfamiliar with PHP threy could blindly open themselves up to all sorts of abuse.

At the very least I would be reluctant to use any mod that fits the above profile, least of all because the Dev Team have worked their butts of writing the best code I have ever seen - I don't like the idea of that excellent work being screwed up or losing continuity by mods that might 'work' but do not 'work as well as SMF'.

Just my opinion, but I would love to see an Approved tag against any officially vetted mods.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

Winters

Hello, I have another request, albeit minor, I think it would save many people looking for a mod save a lot of hassle.

Do you think mod authors could include the forum version their mod has been tested with in the topic line. Like so:

[SMF Final 1.0]
[Beta 4 to 6, not working with RC]

[RC 1, not tested with other versions]

[RC1 and 2, should work with Final 1.0]

Or something similar.

People are using different versions of SMF, so are on different pages.

For people using older versions, there would be no need reading through x Posts of a thread. Likewise, people using Final 1.0 can spot at a glance that the mod they are looking for has not yet been updated.

Ben_S

Version info can be found on the mod site board, generally it's best to look on the mod site board anyway to find mods.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

_complex

Quote from: Fizzy on January 01, 2005, 05:17:53 AM
Also, I am very concerned that mods are being entered in to the mod gallery without requiring any authentication or approval by our trusted and respected mod writing team. I assume that if someone wanted to they could potentially upload a mod that would either hose or compromise the security of any forum it was introduced to.

Just my opinion, but I would love to see an Approved tag against any officially vetted mods.

I Agree With this.. 8)

Or unless things had changed since then..   ::)

Elijah Bliss

Quote from: Bitwiz44 on December 30, 2004, 01:58:25 PM
And... Make it so they install COMPLETLY without having to hack/modify the CODE for us "not so smart" Please?

This is becoming increasingly the case with the arrival of the final SMF and the explosion of new mod packages. What's the use of a package if you still have to hack? I think they forget that the purpose of the package manager is for convenience, and so we won't have to manually alter the code.

Quote from: Fizzy on January 01, 2005, 05:17:53 AM

I believe there should be a "Grudge" standard so to speak, his mods are so far the only mods I do not have trouble with installing and uninstalling. Things are simple, after a forum update, I uninstall his old mod and install the new mod, not uninstall this, hack that, install mod 1.0.3 and mod 1.0.4 and hack this, wasting time and breaking my forum in the process. I whole heartedly agree with an Approved or Certified seal by the developers.

Peter Duggan

Quote from: Elijah Bliss on January 15, 2005, 02:22:18 AM
I whole heartedly agree with an Approved or Certified seal by the developers.

FYI, it's planned but simply hasn't been implemented yet.

Midgard

http://mods.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=61

This is my first mod. But i not edit this. Why? Writer is looking 'Network' ...

Herman's Mixen

How to reach all those mod coders out there ....

i am buzzy with a package server just for the dutch guys here on this forum but i need some permissions to make only a package server for dutch people so what i do is just make some dutch modifications to the mods en then i upload it to my package server !!

so if ya agree give it a calll like email or pm ! pm likely better!!  :P

Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

Oldiesmann

Package SDK, anyone? - that should give you all the info you need to make a pacakge server.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Herman's Mixen

yes i know but need the permissions of the mod developers so that i can use there mods with a little dutch modification file added
Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

Thantos

Is this no longer in affect?  I see that it's not sticky and I have permission to post a new topic....

Miraenda

I also have permission to post a new topic.  I didn't do it, but the button is there to do it if I wanted to try...but I don't have a mod to show and don't want to upset the powers that be, so I didn't test actually posting something :)

rudoka

I just thought I draw the attention to the admins and mods, that the new topic and new poll buttons are available again. Seemes like it happened since the upgrade to Beta 3.
   lol, i guess I just drew he attention of the normal folks too...  :-\
   Well, try to don't abuse.  :P

Rudolf

Advertisement: