News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Opening Admin

Started by SALocalcom, January 29, 2006, 09:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SALocalcom

Last night it appeared the SMF server or website was down.  That made it very difficult and slow to open the admin center because it was trying to contact the SMF server, which it could not do.  That makes my forum administration dependant on SMF server speed.  I'd like to dissable this when not need (by default), and enable it when I choose.  How can I?

Thanks!

SALocalcom

Hello.  Anybody?  SMF??

Ben_S

Remove the calls to simplemachines.org from the sources, would assume it's in Sources/Admin.php
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

SALocalcom

Thanks!  That means it may be possible, but how'd I turn it back on when I wanted it?

Ben_S

You would need to undo the changes.

What browser are you using, certainly Firefox doesn't have problems when simplemachines.org is unreachable.

Skipdawg

I've noticed there is always a slow down if SMF is having issues or down. Dose not matter if it is the 1.0.x or 1.1.x line or if using Opera, Firefox or IE.

It does open just much slower. So any time Admin opens slow I'd come to see if SMF was having a issue and most always that is what it was.

Never figured what the deal was till now with the forum calling home for news and update information.
Skipdawg's Community

Powered by SMF 1.1.3

SALocalcom

Quote from: Ben_S on January 30, 2006, 05:01:20 PM
You would need to undo the changes.

What browser are you using, certainly Firefox doesn't have problems when simplemachines.org is unreachable.
Skipdawg is correct.  It has nothing to do with any browser.  When you open the "admin center" it connects (or tries to in this case) with the smf server.  If it can't it takes quite a while to open.  The other night there was a server problem...or site problem.

Ben_S

Yes it does, Internet Explorer decides to wait for some reason to see if it can connect whereas firefox does not.

I know I have been able to access my admin when this site has been dead to the world.

I have just tested it by adding www.simplemachines.org to my hosts file and pointing it to 127.0.0.1.

Accessing my admin panel in Firefox the page loaded instantly, the news box showing

You are unable to connect to simplemachines.org's latest news file.

Mind you, IE also connected straight away with the same error message so I've no idea why your board is behaving differently.

SALocalcom

Ben_S, I think we missunderstand.  This only occured when the smf server was down the other night.

Quote from: Skipdawg on January 30, 2006, 06:47:31 PM
I've noticed there is always a slow down if SMF is having issues or down. Dose not matter if it is the 1.0.x or 1.1.x line or if using Opera, Firefox or IE.

Ben_S

Quote from: Ben_S on January 31, 2006, 02:01:34 PM
I have just tested it by adding www.simplemachines.org to my hosts file and pointing it to 127.0.0.1.

That effectively makes simplemachines.org down for me.

Advertisement: