News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Weird problem with bandwidth

Started by WayneO, January 29, 2006, 01:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WayneO

I use smf for www.hfx4sale.com.  It is saying i use over 40gb of bandwidth a month.  I only have 3000 members anyone know why this is ? 

Aaron

I think you should contact your host about that. 3000 members in combination with 40 GB bandwidth sounds reliable to me though.

motumbo

That's a lot of bandwidth!

Are search engines spidering you often and deeply?  If so, that can suck up a lot of bandwidth.  I recently read about how Google spiders more popular websites and forums sometimes daily.  Some webmasters aren't happy with the bandwidth consumed. 

There is a way to instruct the search engines to spider your site less often.  If that is the problem you are having, you may want to check into it.  I just checked your pagerank (3) and the number of pages in Google.  It's not that high (400+), but you are getting spidered beyond your index page.

redone

You could always use robots.txt and ban Google bot or restrict where the bot will go. I would also ask for proof from your host that you are actually using that much bandwidth.

H

DO NOT ban Google if you want new members coming to your site.

Try using the crawler delay:

In robots.txt:

User-Agent: *
Crawl-Delay: 20
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Harro

Take a look at your stats.
If you have e.g. AWstats, you can see the most frequently visited pages,...
Also, do you have stuff like an arcade on your forum?

jordanpardy2863

That's not all that much bandwidth..most hosts allow way more than that anyway. I run on a very cheap host and I have 250 GB of alloted bandwidth, so its nothing to worry about yet.

Advertisement: