News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Ad Management mod

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, January 30, 2006, 08:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat9119

Ok, so I've had version 2.3  installed for over a year...all the sudden in the last week or two ads would never load. Then they did, and now sometimes if you go into an area with the ads they take forever to load (as you can see it trying to load in the status bar) but then they never load. Today they seem to load fine.

Just curious if this is a known issue all the sudden or if it could be google, or if an update is needed or what. I'd rather not upgrade if I don't have to, I have way too many other things to deal with. I'm running 1.1.14

Kindred

problems with the ads are due to problems with the ad providers....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SD-X

Not only that, but if you are running an old version and you're having compatibility issues with 1.1.14 then you need to update to a version made specifically for it. There's a reason why they make new ones ;)

Kat9119

I've had no issues until the last week or so, and I've been running 1.1.14 since it came out and had no issues before, so I assumed it was Google. But I was just wondering if anyone else is having these issues..

npiccoli

Quote from: Kat9119 on July 13, 2011, 08:01:59 PM
I've had no issues until the last week or so, and I've been running 1.1.14 since it came out and had no issues before, so I assumed it was Google. But I was just wondering if anyone else is having these issues..

It could of been something with your forum's hosting. I know sometimes this happens to a friend of mine's forum too, while using Google AdSense. It hasn't happened to me since I got them working. It was most likely a connection issue which resolved itself over time.

imaxorz

I installed Ad Management 3.0.1 after upgrading to SMF 2.0 however I can't seem to find the any of the Ad Management options anywhere in the menu.

Am I missing something?

Jintan

I admit being pretty challenged by this stuff, but didn't realize Mods would ad their own advertising to the forum. And I may have missed where this stated it was going to do that. Is there a rule about Mods, related to this? I surely appreciate the Adsense help, but this isn't worth the trade off.

QuoteSorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.
Not sure why this message is appearing? Take a look at some common causes.

I will putz around and eventually figure out how to remove this SMFAds for Free Forums footer, but admit a sense of naive faith that Mods were done by folks either being helpful, or establishing a resume of their skills. And not just another spammer.

vbgamer45

We paid copyright removal as an option.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

npiccoli

Quote from: Jintan on July 17, 2011, 06:51:51 PM
I admit being pretty challenged by this stuff, but didn't realize Mods would ad their own advertising to the forum. And I may have missed where this stated it was going to do that. Is there a rule about Mods, related to this? I surely appreciate the Adsense help, but this isn't worth the trade off.

QuoteSorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website.
Not sure why this message is appearing? Take a look at some common causes.

I will putz around and eventually figure out how to remove this SMFAds for Free Forums footer, but admit a sense of naive faith that Mods were done by folks either being helpful, or establishing a resume of their skills. And not just another spammer.

You could always create a feature documentation page and list the feature (or modification) authors. This would help prevent any legal action being taken against you.

Kindred

Actually, no...  Removing or even moving the copyright to a separate page is a violation.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Jintan

QuoteWe paid copyright removal as an option.

Not sure I understand what that says.

Not trying to mess with the actual SMF copyright info. But it just caused the error. For now, I just replaced the spam with Have a Great Day, and links back to the forum, until I figure out how to remove the entry without causing problems.

Since there is nothing that informs an SMF user that this Mod sticks it's spam links in the footer, what stops more aggressive mod spamming from occurring?

Illori

you are not allowed to remove any copyright without approval, and as such your post has been edited to remove the method you describe.

vbgamer45

Quote from: Jintan on July 18, 2011, 12:37:58 PM
QuoteWe paid copyright removal as an option.

Not sure I understand what that says.

Not trying to mess with the actual SMF copyright info. But it just caused the error. For now, I just replaced the spam with Have a Great Day, and links back to the forum, until I figure out how to remove the entry without causing problems.

Since there is nothing that informs an SMF user that this Mod sticks it's spam links in the footer, what stops more aggressive mod spamming from occurring?
I suggest you remove the mod. There are other mods if you wish disrepect me by removing the link. Either remove the mod or I will be forced to take it to next step.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Jintan

I am not aware of the next step, but if changing this violates some rule, of course I will remove the Mod. I mean no disrespect by the change I made. As I have said, I thought there were SMF rules governing Mods, had no idea they can include spam links, and had this Mod said that in advance, I wouldn't have installed it.

I would appreciate a link to the Mod "rules", if someone has that handy. Just to come up to speed on what I can expect when using Mods.

Illori

it is a rule set by the mod authors not smf, if the author allows copyright removal that is up to them. rules set for smf are not the same as rules for mods.

Jintan

I have removed the Mod.

I took the time to locate and read up on some of this, so see what all is involved. And understand this odd (to me) issue of copyrights. SMFAds is allowed to ad that, and is allowed to charge $50 to remove it.  I have yet to grasp exactly what a Copyright includes, or is limited to. This link:

hxxp:www.createaforum.com [nonactive]

Would seem to have nothing to do with the Mod, or it's author's copyright. That's a redirect link ad.

---------------

As for what's in the Description right now:

QuoteAd Management mod V 2.3

We also have Ad Seller Pro found at hxxp:www.smfhacks.com/ad-seller-pro.php [nonactive]

QuoteCustomization Descriptions

All descriptions must contain an English description of the customization. If you include descriptions in any other languages, you must put them after the English description. The description should fully explain the functionality or changes it makes. The content of the description must be directly related to explaining, demonstrating, or supporting the customization. No unrelated material (for example: ads or 'sponsor' links) is permitted.

May have a bit of a question of validity. A paid version has nothing to do with this SMF Mod.

But all this also says my earlier request that Mods that do this include that in the Description doesn't fly, since they are copyrights.

But enough IMHO, and Enough. I am sure I have been dropped off one or two Christmas card lists in doing this, and no need to pester things further. I get around to it, I will follow the existing steps to add the code changes, should I want to continue Google's ads.

Jojie

I am having problems with this mod as well since upgrading to smf 2.0. The ads won't show up. ..... I did download the new version of the mod uninstall the old one and re-install the new one.

vbgamer45

Quote from: Jojie on July 24, 2011, 02:07:43 AM
I am having problems with this mod as well since upgrading to smf 2.0. The ads won't show up. ..... I did download the new version of the mod uninstall the old one and re-install the new one.
Check permissions and what type of ad

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

desibees

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on July 26, 2011, 01:56:01 AM
The second line is added by a mod, and without knowing exactly how that mod does it we can only guess..
You might want to ask the mod author if they'd allow you to modify the copyright, and if they could help you to do it in a way that they approve.

Could you give me permission for this please?

--

QuoteHi,

My copyright currently looks like the way it is in the attached image.
Could someone please look at the attached index.template.php and index.php and make the copyright into 1 straight line?
If any other file is required, please ask
Please and thank you.

Thanks

Edit: I tried 1 mod (new style footer) and it messed everything up. Everything disappeared and I didn't have backup either. So I would like someone to help me manually, please.

I'm the.. Help abuser

dooodle

Beloved friends,
I am using SMF version: 2.0 and ad management mod version 3.0. The mod works fine for me, and my query is. When I use skyscraper kind of ads on the sides, I get only one ad for the first post and the space remains empty for the remaining posts without any ads.

When I copy the skyscraper ads (in the content of the mod part) say around  three times, the space is filled three times, but the problem is this appears in the message index extending longer than the message index, hope I have not confused you.

Any help is appreciated to sort out this issue.

Advertisement: