Ad Management mod

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, January 30, 2006, 08:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Douglas

Saw your reply... right now, I have the admin ad viewing option turned off, so I can see them. :)
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Douglas on October 24, 2020, 10:48:22 AM
Saw your reply... right now, I have the admin ad viewing option turned off, so I can see them. :)
Saw my reply that I almost immediately removed? :P
Yeah, I did (eventually) figure out that it was due to something else.
Thanks though.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

vbgamer45

"Before the closing </head> tag" (textarea)

"Before the closing </body> tag" (textarea)

Some ad companies (Google Ads and Google DFP are a couple) need to have things situated before the closing head and/or body tags. Yes, it could be manually added in, however, I'm trying to get away from having to manually add anything in, if possible, with the updates I'm doing.

I like that idea. Might just be a spot to enter code in the header/footer area.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Douglas

Lex, blame SMF's notification system, haha! (Glad you got it sorted, though).

vbgamer, thank you!  Any luck with the index.template.php file I posted?
Doug Hazard
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)

vbgamer45

The index.template.php looks ok.

I checked your site. It seems like the placeholder ad. Is using this setting "Display ads on every page right below the menu"

Make sure the ad is using this setting "Display ads in the welcome user area"
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Douglas

* Douglas facepalms himself

I didn't even SEE that setting... but that's EXACTLY what I needed.  Thank you, vbgamer!
Doug Hazard
* CFB Historian

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Douglas

Hopefully, you'll release a version that has the two suggestions I recommended. That's (vitally) important for me to be able to skin the sites effectively without doing a file edit. :)
Doug Hazard
* CFB Historian

Arantor

You mean "without doing a file edit I would otherwise have to manage" because most mods *are* just bundles of file edits... ;)

Douglas

Just a bit of a heads up:

On mobile devices, you should have the ability to hide ad spots (this needs to be both a setting (for minimum width) and a checkbox ("hide on mobile devices" or "Display if min width is greater than X" or something similar).

I've had to modify the Ads.template.php file to add a CSS ID to the sidebar column, so that I could hide it via CSS if the width was less than X.

@media screen and (max-width: 600px) {
#lwosTower {display: none !important;}
}

Also, under Settings, "Ads within posts look like actual posts" isn't quite working the way it should be. It should NEVER copy the poster's profile via the post above it. It should reflect the site's name (no linked bio). :)  Screenshot attached.
Doug Hazard
* CFB Historian

Nodaz

running SMF 2.0.17 and SMF Ads 3.5d on two sites, i have issues with each.

ad-sense account is not new, these ads have been active for years though the SMF sites were not updated and i recently did a major overhaul to clean them up , reinstalled all mods after a large upgrade package was installed.
Everything is working except the ads>

I have double checked ad sense, everything is good to go "READY" and but i recopied the updated (https://) ad-sense code into the mod.

settings:
Type    HTML
Help Display ads on every page right below the menu is check marked, everything else is blank or unchecked.

under "settings:
Disable ads for admins                             unchecked
Disable Reports                                        unchecked
Disable all ads                                          unchecked
Ads within posts look like actual posts     checked

Site   "A" ZERO ads appear
Site   "B" the ads appears on the main page most of the time, never anywhere else.

i have checked from multiple devices, multiple browsers( including incognito tabs) and different WiFi and data connections, always the same.

what could be the issue?

Matthias

You can try to verify, if it is a Ad Management problem or something else:
Put in something like
<p>Some text</p>
instead of the Google Ad Code and check if it is displayed correctly.
For some time now, the Ad Sense Code is no longer displayed everywhere you want it. I had the same trouble.
Quality first

vbgamer45

That's what I suggested on the smfads.com site.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Matthias

Do you have a link to your suggestion?
Quality first

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Matthias

ok, i only read that now  :)

Maybe you can build a field for the Google Adsense tags into the mod. For Adsense to work, some tags must be basically inserted in the header.
I did this on some of my sites so that you can control Google advertising with the SMF groups to display or not.
Times change...
Quality first

Nodaz

Quote from: Matthias on December 23, 2020, 01:34:29 PM
You can try to verify, if it is a Ad Management problem or something else:
Put in something like
<p>Some text</p>
instead of the Google Ad Code and check if it is displayed correctly.
For some time now, the Ad Sense Code is no longer displayed everywhere you want it. I had the same trouble.

alright , going to give that a try.

Nodaz

EDIT: SO i had been accessing the site through Fire Fox, i happened to just check the sites on Chrome, and all ads are being served correctly.
Opened the sites in Microsoft Edge test site serves fine, Target site , does not serve ads OR show <p>Some text</p> as inserted.

Quote from: Matthias on December 23, 2020, 03:50:10 PM
Maybe you can build a field for the Google Adsense tags into the mod. For Adsense to work, some tags must be basically inserted in the header.
I did this on some of my sites so that you can control Google advertising with the SMF groups to display or not.
Times change...
Im not sure i quite understand where to put the adsense code as you explained it.  I ma learning as i go and am not overly experienced

I added <p>Some text</p> to the adsense code on two different ( but virtually identical SMF forums installations)

Test site shows ads and <p>Some text</p> as inserted.

Target site  still does not serve ads, but DOES show <p>Some text</p> as inserted.

BUT:
Test site only shows ads/text on index page and board index, no ads are shown on topic index page but it does show <p>Some text</p>
Target site does not show ads on index page and board index, no ads are shown on topic index page but it does show <p>Some text</p> on all three.

Adsense code is was double checked and matches what is inserted in the Mod for each page.

vbgamer45

The some text test shows that the placements in ad management is working. To confirm your adsense code is there you can do a view source on the page in your browser and check if it is there.

Reasons adsense won't display: site is new, no content yet indexed by adsense bot to show ads, using ad blocker.

In the old days adsense used to show PSA ads if no it couldn't show ads. now adsense just shows a blank space which makes it harder to troubleshoot.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Nodaz

so placement is working then
I did a viewsource and the ad code is there an correct, ad mod and adsense have been on this site for years, though i recently recopied the code supplied by adsense and "reinstalled" it in the mod>
I do keep getting minor policy violations from adsense , the first on was for minimal content on an admin page, it went away after a week or so as i was trying to figuire out how to exclude or remove the code form that page.

It returned again breifly then idssappeared.
The two days ago i got this one:
targetsite.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=tbrbnt0d6gt87af789ibc33007&topic=4283.msg9587
Valuable Inventory: No content

Restricted demand

Dec 25th

I am wondering if ad sense is restricting ad serving.
Issue is i cannot figure out how to exclude the pages listed pr delete the ad code form that page.

Advertisement: