News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Ad Management mod

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, January 30, 2006, 08:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ivanstech

Bigguy

In your admin panel for SMF 1.1RC3 on the left side near the top it should say "Ad management" For SMF 1.0.8 it should be under "feature and options" If you can't find it, check the "modifications.english.php" file and make sure the edits got done there. If you are using a custom theme then the template files have to be edited manually.

chinclub

Quote from: jerm on October 18, 2006, 11:18:26 AM
Manually installs can be found here: www.smfads.com in the theme board.

I'm using the default theme. I checked out that board but I could only find help for other themes.

Bigguy

It's more than likely that you have other mods installed that interfere with installing the ad mod. Go to where Jerm said and you should find the edits for the index.template.php file.

chinclub

I found a few threads on it, but I couldn't find the ad mod for RC3 and the ones that gave theme manual installs for RC2 didn't have the same code my pages have.  Do I just need to open a thread there for help? I am reluctant to do that since the description of that topic is for help with custom themes and I am using default. I got reprimanded early on for placing questions in the wrong topics so I want to be sure I am following the rules.

Thanks!

Bigguy

Those edits are right out of the .xml file so they do work on the default theme.

chinclub

Well, I found the code that I needed here: http://www.smfads.com/forums/index.php?topic=22.0 Even though it was for RC2 and tried it, but I got a template error in Display.template.php.  It no longer likes the  ?>  on the very last line of the code.  I guess I will open a topic over there and see if anyone can help me out.  HTML comes so easy to me but PHP is apparently still way over my head.  ::)

Bigguy

The RC 2 edits work with RC3 as there were only minor changes to the version.

MoreBloodWine

Is there anyway you would be able to implement a new permission for this mod that dis-allows the showing of ads on the login and registration pages... I use googles adsense and they kinda frown upon showing ads on non-content pages... so I was just curious if you could maybe add a new permission that says ( do not show ads on the login or registration pages ) ... if you could do that , that would be really awesome...

Edit : I'd even consider sliding you a few bucks via paypal if you could do that for me...
Want a sig like mine for your BTCGuild stats ? Then check this out: Spend-ur-Bits

Bigguy

You should post this at smfads.com I'm sure Jerm will take it into consideration for the next version.

MoreBloodWine

Quote from: Bigguy on October 19, 2006, 04:41:04 PM
You should post this at smfads.com I'm sure Jerm will take it into consideration for the next version.
I actually considered posting it there lol... but you dont do the uodates yourself ? Anyway guess I'll just copy and paste my question there after I take care of a few other things here at SMF hehe... but I do think this would be a nice addition... I mean seriously do ads really need to be showed on the login and registration pages anyway hehe.. anyway keep up the good work ;-)
Want a sig like mine for your BTCGuild stats ? Then check this out: Spend-ur-Bits

Bigguy

No I am just support staff at smfads Jerm is the coder. I just edit and try to help people as much as I can.

MoreBloodWine

Quote from: Bigguy on October 19, 2006, 04:45:50 PM
No I am just support staff at smfads Jerm is the coder. I just edit and try to help people as much as I can.
Well , you dont go un-noticed thats for sure... heh... thx for everything... and no rush on my theme just whenever you got the free time... ttyl and tc man

Bigguy

chinclub

Quote from: Bigguy on October 19, 2006, 04:35:07 PM
The RC 2 edits work with RC3 as there were only minor changes to the version.

Well, thanks for all of your help.  :)  I am at a stand still now since I am getting a template error after doing the manual code.  I guess I'll just have to hold off on this mod.  It looks like a great one though!

Bigguy

I have posted at smfads for you.

ivanstech

Quote from: Bigguy on October 19, 2006, 11:45:04 AM
In your admin panel for SMF 1.1RC3 on the left side near the top it should say "Ad management" For SMF 1.0.8 it should be under "feature and options" If you can't find it, check the "modifications.english.php" file and make sure the edits got done there. If you are using a custom theme then the template files have to be edited manually.

How to edit the "modification.english.php" anyway??? i have download the ad management mod zip file for smf 1.0.8 and i have upload the file manually into my /forum/ ...  is that the correct place to upload the ad management mod file into it or maybe i should upload it in somewhere else ???(because maybe i have upload it to the wrong side thats why my ad management panel didn't show up ) thanks for your answer !!!

Bigguy

Use the package manager to upload to your site. Go to admin panel and on the left click packages and the click download, browse for the package and upload.

ivanstech

Quote from: Bigguy on October 20, 2006, 10:11:25 AM
Use the package manager to upload to your site. Go to admin panel and on the left click packages and the click download, browse for the package and upload.

it works! thanks.... but how to make it work in my custom themes ?

Bigguy

You will have to manually edit the template files of the theme you are using. I have written out all the edits here in the "Theme Support" board:

www.smfads.com

Advertisement: