SMF 1.0 Public Beta Available

Started by [Unknown], March 10, 2004, 03:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMike

BTW, I just gave the new forum software a complete examination and from the start I could tell that this is by far with out any doubt the very best forum software that I have ever used or seen in my life.

Excellent A+++ work. You guys deserve like an oscar award or something

BigMike

neugi

Webby

Great work you guys !!

Is it possible to upgrade into a testfolder, or is it just possible to upgrade into the "live" board ?

I have numerous mod's built in, and the table-structures has been changed dramatically during the installations of all these mods.
I want a "clean" database, so maybe you know some steps for me (and others) to follow ?

de3jeh

It is perfect pepole but how to use the spellings checker  ???   ;)
Hello all i am here to help u all ;)

Anguz

it's so nice to see everyone so happy (^_^)
Cristián Lávaque http://cristianlavaque.com

DeadMetal

One question: I suppose that in the next weeks a couple of bugs will be found since more and more people will try SMF.
When a bug is fixed, will it be directly available to the public (and how?) or will they only be bundled in a new (beta) version?

Grudge

During beta stage we will post fixes for bugs in that thread and I expect we'll release updated "packages" regularly during this process
I'm only a half geek really...

DeadMetal

Okay great! I think it's a good idea to set up a page with links to updated files and the last modification date so it's easy to see which files are changed or indeed some between-beta packages with updated files.

Corvette

I looked at the structure and it looks like this board is going to be fun to theme.

pulpitfire

Quote from: de3jeh on March 15, 2004, 04:35:52 AM

just press the spell checker button.  the rest is automatic.

Cloudbringer

Congrats on the realease of the public beta!! 

SMF is great stuff!

Oldiesmann

Quote from: pege on March 15, 2004, 08:57:35 AM
Quote from: de3jeh on March 15, 2004, 04:35:52 AM

just press the spell checker button.  the rest is automatic.

I have 2 SMF test boards set up, both of them with Spell Check enabled, and you cannot use spell check when posting or with the quick reply. There is no spell check button.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Daniel D.

It has to be installed on your host's server.

Oldiesmann

Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

MrCue

you have to have pspell installed and configured.
http://uk.php.net/manual/en/ref.pspell.php

Im still trying to get it working on windows.
I am neither a Pessimist nor an Optimist, Just a Realist.

Eve-Online Forum | View Latest Eve-Online Kills | Site Map | SMF Installation

pulpitfire

i think the spell check uses a built-in php function, rather than a script from within SMF.  if your host doesn't have the spell-check function enabled, it won't work.

Oldiesmann

What's the spellcheck.js file for then? Where does one find this pspell?
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

dave

Quote from: [Unknown] on March 10, 2004, 03:13:14 PM
As you may now notice on the download page, a public beta of SMF 1.0 is now available.  Please remember, most importantly, that this is a beta and not a stable release.  It should not be used in production unless you understand the risks and are willing to live with them.  There will be bugs and problems, and you may have to live with them for periods if you choose to use this in production.

That said, we would like to invite all of you to test this public beta, so that we can remove any bugs that may be in it.  Realize that we expect there to be bugs, and the purpose of a beta release is to facilitate finding and fixing all of them.  So, every bug fixed moves us that much closer to a stable, production worthy release.

Remember that we always listen to feature requests, bug reports, and questions about the code.  Code review is a wonderful and great part of any project like this.  For more information on how to get involved with SMF, please see the page about just that.  But remember, sometimes what you think is a bug might not be what we think is a bug; sometimes you will want a feature we don't see as part of the distribution.  We still want you involved, and some of you can help even more by making packages, themes, and so forth for SMF.

While the modification system is something that is not yet complete in this beta, you will soon see the premiere of the mod site.  There, you will be able to download modifications and packages to apply to your install - easily adding, changing, or removing functionality as you want.  While we're deprecating the use of boardmod, please hold on while the package manager gets to its feet.

Please remember to read the license.  Even if you do not, you are bound by it and may not redistribute SMF or change/remove any displayed copyrights.  We will go after people who do not follow these terms, so if you are not willing to abide by them please do not use SMF.

It's important to note that this is a big change from YaBB SE.  While it may seem to work the same in many ways, one look at the code... one look at the templating system... should show you it is not at all the same.  Many settings and options have changed and been moved, and it is highly recommended that you play with a separate install or upgrade before upgrading your main forum - if you must, indeed, use it in production.  It will take you time to get used to where the new settings are, and it will take time to ask questions here.  If you prepare, you won't have to worry about emergencies later.

You can always find information posted here about things like installation, upgrade, and more.  As development continues, you will see more and more tutorials, FAQs, and manuals for SMF - this is just another part of development.

If you need any more help with anything to do with SMF, please do not hesitate to ask questions. And for those who need a little to get going, the downloads themselves are, of course, here:
http://www.simplemachines.org/download.php

Thank you for being a part of SMF,
Simple Machines

Wow amazing job .....   this forum is going to blow all others out the water
*now if we can get it as a php nuke  addon :)

Oldiesmann

Uh... Ok... I'm looking at the readme for the aspell thingy and have absolutely no clue what the heck I'm supposed to do with any of this.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: