News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMF 1.0 Public Beta Available

Started by [Unknown], March 10, 2004, 03:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldiesmann

Quote from: Webby on March 15, 2004, 04:01:44 AM
Great work you guys !!

Is it possible to upgrade into a testfolder, or is it just possible to upgrade into the "live" board ?

I have numerous mod's built in, and the table-structures has been changed dramatically during the installations of all these mods.
I want a "clean" database, so maybe you know some steps for me (and others) to follow ?

1. Backup your database. If your host lets you create multiple databases, create another one and copy your current yabb database to the new empty one via phpmyadmin.
2. Go through and delete any columns in the tables that have been inserted by mods.
3. Upgrade that database.

I recently went from a board with 20+ mods to a clean install of Enigma, which was actually more difficult that you would think because I decided to re-number all the members while I was at it...
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

pulpitfire

yeah, but he's saying his data base is too large to back up all at once. 

Oldiesmann

pege, read the post. That was in response to Webby, not sdmr
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

pulpitfire

Ben_S

Quote from: sdmr on March 15, 2004, 02:25:34 PM
When I try to back up my yabbse 1.5.5 database it says that the database is too large and can't do it.  Any tips?

Back it up using ssh or similar.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Doogles

It is perfect pepole but how to use the spelllings checker

Seeems the spellling chicker doesn't knowe how to spell yet. It caught none of these errrors.
Best to all,
Doogles
hxxp:www.biznetcommunications.com/ [nonactive]
hxxp:www.i-fur.com/ [nonactive]
hxxp:www.montelle-intimates.com/ [nonactive]

Henrik Samuelsson

Quote from: Jeff Lewis on March 15, 2004, 11:53:44 AM
If your host doesn't have pspell installed and PHP configured to use it, it won't show up. When I added the feature, in the admin area is a question mark beside the spellcheck option. Click it and it should tell you if it's enabled or not on your host.

I sopose that the spellshecker chose language depending of you board language.
But when I whant too use Swedish board language and writing in Swedish, this can couse some truble. It would need som possibility too chose spell checking language if you are writing in difrent language than your own.
(I didn't spell check this just too point this out... I NEED THIS  ;D  )
Regards / Henrik S.

mw

Will the upgrade program work with phpbb 2.0.6?  Thanks

Douglas

mw, convert your forum to YaBB SE 1.5.5, and then do the upgrade to SMF.  Best way to get that going.
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

Peter Duggan

Quote from: Doogles on March 15, 2004, 05:46:26 PM
It is perfect pepole but how to use the spelllings checker

Seeems the spellling chicker doesn't knowe how to spell yet. It caught none of these errrors.

Purely for clarification, the blame for that (such as it is) lies with the PHP module used for the spell checker and not with SMF...

Webby

1. Backup your database. If your host lets you create multiple databases, create another one and copy your current yabb database to the new empty one via phpmyadmin.
2. Go through and delete any columns in the tables that have been inserted by mods.
3. Upgrade that database.

I recently went from a board with 20+ mods to a clean install of Enigma, which was actually more difficult that you would think because I decided to re-number all the members while I was at it...

Thanx. This would probably be the best way to do this but : I guess the majority of users have 1 or more mods (and therefor tables) installed. I have installed almost all mods available (mod-addicted ?), so I have to check the whole database-structure to be able to delete the tables that are inserted by mods ? That will be a hell of a job, won't it ? And, I would really like to be online with the board as much as possible, so I don't have to shut it for hours..... I mean, would it be possible to create a script that makes the structure of a standard YaBBSE (1.5.5), and copies the contents into that new standard-structured table ? I think this would be perfect to give people that final push to use SMF. Now I'd rather wait before taking this giant step......
I want to use SMF.....I want to use SMF...... :-[

joker

Would'nt it be usefull to display the last Update/Fix-date on the Download-page?
joker ;-)

Powerbob

Hi I stumbled accross your site via Mike Bobbit (album.pl) and just had to take a look :o That was 5am this morning, I now have a test version up and running on my site ;D ;D

This is what YaBB should have been like ;D I have a forum powered by Invision, but I am really getting to like your smf. Congrats on a very well done Beta :D

Powerbob

My SMF 2.1 Beta test site; http://www.pplb.net/smf21/index.php

Webby

Well, the upgrade went well on my testboard. I had only one error : duplicate entry "79-0" with copying the Polls table. I emptied this table to be able to continue, but how can I make sure this is fixed BEFORE donig the upgrade on our live-board ?

There are only some 50 polls............

[Unknown]

Unless you ran a step twice, you should never get such an error.

As far as the "latest fix date" I stopped updating things the day after. (Sunday in my timezone)  I did this because I wanted to fix all major issues, but also didn't want really "different" versions floating around.

Expect another update in a little bit.  Also remember that changelog.txt should show your revision number at the top.  Current CVS is 1.483, latest download is 1.454.  I think the first download was around 1.443.

-[Unknown]

BigMike

[Unknown],

This is probably on the minds of others as well... I've read about the chances I would be taking if I released the beta copy as my main forum, but I was just wondering....... I see in the copyright here it's also running beta 4.

Now assuming it's not a whole lot different than the beta 4 offered for download, what are the real risks? Is it security risks or useableility/functionality problems?
Because if it is just functionality issues then I'm sure my users won't mind because it is so much faster and better then what they are using right now. But of course if its a security risk then I won't upgrade yet....

Of course I can always just wait until the final version is released but when I come here to check up on things it pisses me off how nice SMF is compared to my YaBBSE and everytime I just want to have it that much more.

Thanks,
BigMike

ps. I just noticed something about the forum here: In the quick reply box, from the input area, I always use tab to get to 'Post', 'Preview', or 'Spell Check' and I just noticed that Tab only flows through to Post and Preview, and then it jumps me to the top of the window instead of moving to the Spell Check button. Might want to check that.. ???

[Unknown]

Well, this is a beta.  That means it is *possible* that their may be security issues.  This has been asked before, and as I have said time and time again I do not believe it's possible to write any large thing like a forum without a few mistakes.

That's why I make regular backups of this forum, although I would hope they aren't necessary.

-[Unknown]

BigMike

I knew it was a retorical question. but I wanted to hear your end of it.

Thankyou very much-
BigMike

Corvette

I've noticed that Unknown is wanting a new set of topic icons for the default theme and I was able to make some.

DeadMetal

Quote from: [Unknown] on March 16, 2004, 11:08:59 AM
Expect another update in a little bit.  Also remember that changelog.txt should show your revision number at the top.  Current CVS is 1.483, latest download is 1.454.  I think the first download was around 1.443.

How can one know if there is a new revision available for download without downloading the whole package and looking at the changelog.txt?

Advertisement: