News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

let moderators post as another user

Started by bubach, February 07, 2006, 07:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubach

Does it exist any mod to SMF that makes it possible to create
topics/add posts to topics where you specify some more then just
subject and message?

I need (logged in as moderator) to be able to post as another user
and specify posting date.

Is there any mod available that does that, if not could some kind
soul make one for me? :)

Thantos

I'm not sure if I like the idea of easily allowing someone to post as another user.

bubach

It's only for moderators, and only until we have copied all old posts thats
currently on our www.forumer.com [nofollow] forum, since they dont hand out db-backups :(

Eliana Tamerin

So register those members yourself, give the moderators the passwords, have them make the posts, and then give the passwords to those members and tell them to change them.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

bubach

The forum is already up and running, so that wouldn't work very well..  :'(
Please, could someone take a look at it? It shouldn't take that much time
for an experienced mod maker, right?

ukrob12

I agree that this should be availible, it means that if I have to make a post for someone I need to find one of their useless posts, split and move etc, then edit it.

Prasad007

Quotelet moderators post as another user
That would be a violation of an individual's privacy!
No one has right to do that.
Even as the administrator of a website you have no / must not have concern about the private interests of a member, that includes posts or PM's.
Its against some or the other law!!

ukrob12

Um well if someone asks me to post something for them I think it's ok, and if it's not well then thats a crappy law. I've also required this for other moderation reasons which has not been "invading their privacy".

Prasad007

okay but its still very "wrong"
you're making a post claiming to be someone else.
thats not right...
thats like identity theft :P

niko

You can always manually edit database
Websites: Madjoki || (2 links retracted by team, links out of date and taken over.)
Mods: SMF Arcade, Related topics, SMF Project Tools, Post History

WIP Mods: Bittorrent Tracker || SMF Wiki

bubach

it's not "claiming to be someone else" when all i want to do is
move posts from one forum to another.. It's the exact same thing as
using a db backup (which i can't do) or to edit the db manually
(which takes ages, keeping track of ID's etc.. :( )..

I don't see any problem with it, as i said, it's just for moving old
posts from a forumer.com [nofollow] account. everybody on the forum
agrees that this method is better then losing all our old posts.

Prasad007

Well then its okay i guess :)
But that depends on every individual's intentions :)

Kindred

why don't you use a post conversion script that will read from the old DB and port it into the new one rather than manually doing this?

As noted, despite what you may want or think on the matter, this concept is a BAD idea and I don't think any of the standard modders are going to take you up on it.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Harzem

Quote from: Kindred on March 14, 2006, 11:25:53 AM
As noted, despite what you may want or think on the matter, this concept is a BAD idea and I don't think any of the standard modders are going to take you up on it.

It is really a bad idea. People won't want to seem have posted something that they originally haven't.

bubach

I don't have access to the old database, and as i said several
times already:

1) the users agrees on it
2) it's only for moderators (it's not like we are going to let anybody do it)
3) it's the only way to get our old posts back

so if someone could help me with this i would be very grateful..

Kindred

actually, you did not say that you don't have access to the old db. What you said was that you could not do a db backup...

But, if you don't have access to the old db, then how can you get the old messages in the first place? ???

The point is... if you have any sort of access that lists the messages in the old database (like your old forum is still installed, for example), then you could run a php script that copies and inserts the old messages into your new database structure/SMF installation.

And no... I really do not think that anyone is going to help you write a mod that will allow anyone (even an admin) to login as/appear online as another user.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Harzem

Do you REALLY need to post as another user? Try to find another solution.

We can help you get your database back. By scripts may be. Give us some details and we will help you.

Ben_S

I've considered writing a mod for this as I could use it at times - my front page is made up from forum posts, at times people submit articles via email or other means so putting it in their name looks better than posting it myself under an editor account or whatever.

Just have never got round to it.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

bubach

What i meant was that i can not do any db-backup or anything.
All I can do is to view the forum online, so my plan was to manually
copy&paste the old posts into the new forum (all members wants this).
And it's just temporary until the old posts are copied.
I can't understand whats so wrong about that??

Kindred

because, despite what you say here... the potential for abuse is huge...

but it's not really relevant...   If your scripts have access to the old forum system, you can use a script to export/import the old messages...
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: