News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Transferring yabbse to SMF

Started by dilaca, March 12, 2004, 09:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dilaca

Hiya,
I intend to sign as a charter member. I also intend to take advantage of having the SMF installed for me.
Can someone please tell me if it will look similar to my present board and if all of the members and messages will transfer to the new board please?
http://puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php
Thanks.  :)

Homie

There will be a Download So that you can update YaBB SE to SMF so everyhting will be there the same except it will be SMF so dont worry

Tyris

currently there a number of convertors available to charter members.
of interest would be the YaBB SE -> SMF converter and the YaBB SE template -> SMF template converter.
In other words, everything from YaBB SE (including the template) can be converted accross. The -only- downfall -could- be any additional mods that have database data... will no longer be relevant (because obviously SMF isnt designed with mod data in mind).

So basically it will convert perfectly except any YaBB SE mods will no longer work (obviously), however its worth noting SMF has many of these such features built in anyway ;)

Also, from what we've heard, the charter member support is incredible, so as soon as Jeff gets your payment and gives you charter status (if you choose to go ahead) you'll be well on your way :)

dilaca

Thanks guys.  I am just really concerned that I won't be capable of converting my boad and might stuff up and lose it somehow.  In that case I'd prefer to take the safe option and stick with my present board.
I am a computer ignoramus who's more interested in talking football on my message board than the technical side of having the board.
Oh well I'll be a devil and hope for the best.
Am paying my charter subscription now.  :)

Tyris

hmm... I may have said one or two things wrongly..
its definately worth getting a charter membership as the staff will be able to convert your board for you with out any chance of losing your data (unless your server dies and their computer with backups of your database die ;) not gonna happen that tho).
As an extra backup, use the YaBB SE control panel to make a backup of your database...
But basically, the charter staff will just use the existing upgrade scripts to upgrade you in just a few minutes.
The only thing you may have trouble with is getting used to the new template system if you want to create more complex designs (otherwise you can just make and convert YaBB SE templates). Also, thats only going by what others have said as I havent had any real experience using the system. Howevery basically: its more powerful and hence more complex... but still easily understandable with a bit of pracitce.
Simply put: you'll definately be pleased with your charter membership :D

dilaca

Hi guys,

I paid my charter membership over 24 hours ago  haven't heard from SMF yet.

I e-mailed the billing@lewismedia e-mail mentioned on my paypal receipt but I'm not sure if that is the correct address I should have contacted.  I'd appreciate if it's wrong if someone could give me the correct address.

I want to take advantage of the kind offer to install my SMF and transfer my existing yabbse over.

Thanks.  :)

(I hope I don't appear impatient.  Of course if it's a matter of waiting in queue I'm happy to do that, but I just want to check whether I am registered properly.  Cheers. )

Chris Cromer

You have to wait for Jeff Lewis to give you the charter member status. It isn't an automated process, he does them all 1 by 1 as charter members sign up.

Please have a look here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=6418.0

And, there is a public beta now available on the downloads page. So you don't have to wait for the charter membership to go ahead and download SMF. You will however get other extras for being a charter member, like priority support, early betas(the next releases), as well as other various things.
Chris Cromer

"I was here, here I was, was I here, sure I was" - The little voice in my head.

dilaca

Thanks for that Chris.
I became a charter member so someone would help me install the board so I'll just wait my turn.
Cheers. :)

Chris Cromer

Yeah that's another bonus of being a charter member... they will install it for you. ;D
Chris Cromer

"I was here, here I was, was I here, sure I was" - The little voice in my head.

Tyris

hmmm... I'll give Jeff a poke for you (over msn) when he wakes up this morning (shouldnt be that long ;))

Advertisement: