News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Update Over The Past Few Days

Started by David, March 17, 2004, 11:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

Wanted to take this time to give a brief update over the past few days, and sorry for such a boring subject.  I don't think I've ever read as many threads in such a short period of time before.  On Sunday, I had over ten pages of unread threads to read.  :P

So far, we have been extremely happy with the response we have received to almost a year's worth of coding.  Everyone has provided great feedback and we hope you will continue to provide your input on the direction of SMF.

A few points that I would like to address:

Technically, the buttons are distributed as part of the SMF package and as such, and it is not permissible to redistribute them at the present time.  We will be working on a system so that you can share themes and button sets, however, none of the package contents may be redistributed right now.  We are very thankful that Babylonking has allowed us to distribute his paid button set to all of you as part of the default theme, thus it's not fair to him to redistribute his buttons in other colors.  If you haven't already, please read the license and feel free to contact us with any questions you might have about it.

We are very excited about SMF being embraced by users around the world. We request that other support sites follow a standard set of guidelines.  If you currently run a SMF support site in another language, please contact us by e-mail so that we can help you get setup so that you do not violate our license or trademark.

As many of you have noticed, there currently are no modification boards on this site.  This is not an oversight; the Mod Team has been working for the past few weeks on software that will interface with the forum, which will also provide much better organization than just a lot of threads.  We do not have an exact date when this will go live; however, it is definitely something we know is wanted and needed, and thus it is a priority.  We also feel that at the current time, enough of the code may continue to change that offering mods for download will only create more work for mod developers and users than is worthwhile.  We understand that a great mod community is vital and are doing everything we can to make the experience the best that it can be!

Documentation is a very important aspect of any software project.  We have already posted basic guides to installing and upgrading SMF and more are in the works.  We are trying very hard to compile excellent documentation for both all of you as administrators as well as your end users.  This process will however take time to fully complete.  While offering guides as posts is useful, we plan to offer multiple formats including flash tutorial movies.  Simple Machines' developers have also been great about documenting the code as they are working which should greatly help mod developers.

Once again, thank you for continuing to support us.  We see a great future for SMF and Simple Machines in general. We are also working on implementing an idea for Simple Machines that has never been done before by any forum project.  Stay tuned. :)
This space for rent.

morph

Quote from: David on March 17, 2004, 11:01:53 PM
We are also working on implementing an idea for Simple Machines that has never been done before by any forum project.  Stay tuned. :)

ooo Leaving us hanging here huh? :P Sounds really cool, can't wait :D.

Coming soon!

Chris Cromer

The license link is broken in your post.
Chris Cromer

"I was here, here I was, was I here, sure I was" - The little voice in my head.

David

This space for rent.

[Unknown]

*fixes some grammar*

Yeah, well, just want to make sure everyone understands a few things is all.  Also, stay tuned for an update, coming soon ;).  You might just see it in your admin centers ;).

-[Unknown]

bostasp

You copied and pasted that bit again David! :P ;)

Thanks for the update :)

Samuel

David

Quote from: Samuel on March 18, 2004, 02:06:50 PM
How long did that take to write? :o
About ten minutes and then editing. :)
This space for rent.

Douglas

Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

Daniel D.

Peter Duggan

Quote from: David on March 17, 2004, 11:01:53 PM
Documentation is a very important aspect of any software project.  We have already posted basic guides to installing and upgrading SMF and more are in the works.  We are trying very hard to compile excellent documentation for both all of you as administrators as well as your end users.  This process will however take time to fully complete.  While offering guides as posts is useful, we plan to offer multiple formats including flash tutorial movies.  Simple Machines' developers have also been great about documenting the code as they are working which should greatly help mod developers.

Sticky topic for documentation discussion/requests now up at http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=7747.

So, when is the final version due to be expected? Hehehe

:-X

Chris Cromer

Well everytime somebody asks that they push the date back by a month.... so we are looking at never. ;)
Chris Cromer

"I was here, here I was, was I here, sure I was" - The little voice in my head.

Daniel D.

Quote from: Chris Cromer on March 19, 2004, 06:54:49 AM
Well everytime somebody asks that they push the date back by a month.... so we are looking at never. ;)
Hahahaha, that's good !

aw i was just being facetious. i wouldn't mind though if the release date was never. smf as it is is better than yabbse :)

Advertisement: