Display image attachments on new page when using thumbnails

Started by hypno, February 12, 2006, 03:33:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hypno

When using image attachments displayed inline as thumbnails, and when the image is really large (e.g. 3072x2048) it seems better if the browser displays the image on a separate page instead of embedded in the post. This is especially true if there are multiple large images in one post. It's a real pain for the user to scroll down past a couple of large images, move the horizontal scroll bar to the right, and then scroll back up the page just to look at an image.

The easiest way to explain what I want is to replace your expandThumb() in xml_topic.js with the following.

function expandThumb(thumbID)
{
   window.location = document.getElementById('link_' + thumbID);
   return false;
}

Maybe it would be good to provide a board local or global option that would allow the admin/moderators to specify whether images in a board would be displayed 1) embedded in the post, 2) on a new page in the same browser, 3) on a new page in a new browser (  window.open [nofollow](document.getElementById('link_' + thumbID)); )

klumy

Daniel Hofverberg

I agree. With very large images, it's a nightmare to have them being displayed inline in the post...

CrayZ

Quote(e.g. 3072x2048)

duuuuude this picture should be bigger than your entire database.  :D

I believe that usually a user open the picture to see it and after that he/she just click there to resize it again to the thumbnail size so I don't this one is a problem...

Anyway this is the way I think it  ::)

hypno

CrayZ,

I hadn't thought of that and you may be right. But "usually" isn't good enough for me. :) (I'm a picky bastard, see!)

hypno

I've discovered some settings that affects this behavior. Beware that changing these settings may have other effects I'm unaware of.

Admin->Features and Options->Basic Features->Max Width of Posted Pictures  AND
Admin->Features and Options->Basic Features->Max Height of Posted Pictures

The help text isn't clear about it but these two settings affect the maximum size that a picture will be displayed inline with the post. In other words, if these options are set very large (or disabled), any large images will be displayed inline and exhibit the behavior I was complaining about in the OP.

However, if you set these to say "800x600", then those 3000 pixel wide images will not be displayed inline. Instead they will open up in a new window. (This window is non-resizable, which is the subject of another post I will make.)

The non-resizable window isn't much better than an inline image, so it doesn't really solve any problems. Even if it were resizable/maximizable, I'm sure I'm not the only one who can't stand it when a site opens new windows on me. So my original request for the admin to specify how this is handled without having to hack SMF stands.

(And after my response to CrayZ, I realized that simply making the image small after viewing doesn't change anything when you are trying to view a large image, so that doesn't solve anything either.)

Advertisement: