SMF on PHP5?

Started by marcnyc, February 16, 2006, 09:27:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcnyc

Hello, I am looking for a new host and found one I like that has only PHP5 on their servers.
I was wondering if SMF works with PHP5.
Is PHP5 really as backward-compatible as my new host claims? Or are they just trying to make the sale?

Trekkie101

SMF works fine with PHP5 :)

Genrally most well coded scripts will work with PHP5, its the latest stable release, id give the host credit for running it.

Oldiesmann

I've been running SMF on PHP 5.0.4 for months without any problems. It hasn't really been tested with PHP 5.1 yet (as far as I know), but there aren't many hosts running that version yet so you should be fine.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

H

Quote from: Oldiesmann on February 16, 2006, 11:05:45 AM
I've been running SMF on PHP 5.0.4 for months without any problems. It hasn't really been tested with PHP 5.1 yet (as far as I know), but there aren't many hosts running that version yet so you should be fine.

SMF should work fine on PHP 5.1 as that is what I use on my dev server.

Quote from: marcnyc on February 16, 2006, 09:27:17 AM
Hello, I am looking for a new host and found one I like that has only PHP5 on their servers.
I was wondering if SMF works with PHP5.
Is PHP5 really as backward-compatible as my new host claims? Or are they just trying to make the sale?

SMF is compatible with php5 however php5 does break a few things.
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

marcnyc

what deos php5 break?
also is SMF making efforts to make future versions compatible with php5 for sure or is it not a priority in development teams at this point?

H

When I said php5 may break things I meant certain other scripts.

SMF should be compatible on php5 / 5.1 by default as I believe the developers use the latest versions of php
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Oldiesmann

I just upgraded my test box to PHP 5.1 and haven't had any problems, so it should work just fine on php 5.1
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

dtm.exe

There are a few bugs with SMF and PHP 5 that I have already reported to the dev team.  Those should be correct now, but there may be others.

marcnyc

anything serious we should worry about?

dtm.exe

Quote from: marcnyc on February 22, 2006, 11:35:32 PM
anything serious we should worry about?

As far as possible security holes are concerned?  No, security threats won't differ just because you use PHP 5, I would assume.  They were small bugs, such as avatars not being displayed randomly.  Most of the bugs that I reported were immediately fixed.

Advertisement: